Lincoln Cent coin

This forum is for buying, selling and trading as well as promoting your ebay or Facebook auctions.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Please mark as sold after listing sells. No fraudulent or unscrupulous activity allowed, just be honest about the coins you're selling and there won't be any problems.
xrayman
Coin Wizz

Lincoln Cent coin

#1 Unread post by xrayman » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:10 am

Heres is something strange,looks to me like a type of cover up, can anyone see just above the house going from 11:00 oclock diagnal to 4:00 oclock.

very curious to hear.
Attachments
CAM04928.jpg
CAM04929.jpg
CAM04930.jpg

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Lincoln Cent coin

#2 Unread post by mhonzell » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:39 pm

What year is this cent?

First guess was a die crack, but I can see "bubbling" in the area which may be clad damage. If it's not clad damage, then metal "dust" has damaged the die.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Daniel » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:37 pm

While it's possible the zinc planchet had a minor surface flaw or slight crack, it's still an area where the copper plating failed to adhere to the zinc surface. So during the strike this caused the gas trapped under the "loose" plating to expand and created a bubble.

The coin happen in many shapes and sizes so what it looks like has little to do with what it actually is.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by mhonzell » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:17 am

Okay, I'm calling your bluff.
If it is post-1982, I fully agree with you Daniel.

But, if this is pre-1982, would you have the same story? I think you have to know the year unless you simply "know" it's a zinc coin. I think there is enough bubbles on the surface to maybe make that call, but I still need the year.

xrayman
Coin Wizz

#5 Unread post by xrayman » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:56 pm

I will have the year, now my problem is looking into the pile where i placed it.
Trying to figure that one out now. But i will get to this soon.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:58 pm

mhonzell wrote:Okay, I'm calling your bluff.
If it is post-1982, I fully agree with you Daniel.

But, if this is pre-1982, would you have the same story? I think you have to know the year unless you simply "know" it's a zinc coin. I think there is enough bubbles on the surface to maybe make that call, but I still need the year.
You're broaching on the inappropriate with this comment. It's obviously a copper clad zin planchet or the area in question wouldn't look like a bubbled planchet. I don't need to know the exact date since it has to be 1982 or sooner, and can be narrowed down from before 92 considering the wide AM.

So the coin is likely 82-92, and I will go with an 80's date since the lettering appears to thinner than on the 90's reverses.

I don't bluff with my answers and I don't tell stories. Even you think the coin must be post 82' so I wonder what your true meaning is by replying to me like this.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by mhonzell » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:34 pm

Sorry, it wasn't meant as disrespect. I was badly pointing out that you have enough experience to tell that it is a 1982, or later. But, other than the bubbling clad, I wasn't sure what you were seeing.

I'll watch my comments.

xrayman
Coin Wizz

#8 Unread post by xrayman » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:01 am

oh no Mr Mhonzell,allow yourself. not to apoligize. my content was in no offense myself.didnt taeke it that way or meant anything by this at all.
so nothing of bad thoughts.your fine along with teaching me a few things.
all good pay.