Trade dollar

This forum is for buying, selling and trading as well as promoting your ebay or Facebook auctions.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Please mark as sold after listing sells. No fraudulent or unscrupulous activity allowed, just be honest about the coins you're selling and there won't be any problems.
RobinMitchell
Coin Collector

Trade dollar

#1 Unread post by RobinMitchell » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:48 pm

Only one in our set....kind of sad to see it go. And no, that doesn't mean I'm going to start collecting. :)

Thoughts? Opinions?
Attachments
1877 Trade.jpg

RobinMitchell
Coin Collector

Re: Trade dollar

#2 Unread post by RobinMitchell » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:50 pm

Eeesh...sorry...meant to put the year in the subject line.

Paul
Master Die Variety Attributer

#3 Unread post by Paul » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:00 pm

:eureka:
may i suggest, if you already do not have, or use...getting a 'strong magnet' for these "silver" coins. you would be amazed at the large number of "non-genuine", silver 'early date' coins that are out there....& they can/will be foolers...they really look, feel, & seem authentic, but are not.

i use a pocket 'pen magnet'. these are the 'telescoping' style, for reaching hard to get at dropped items. i like them the best, as the have "very very strong" magnets on the tips.
Attachments
PEN MAGNET.JPG

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:15 pm

It looks authentic to me but it never hurts to check. Are you selling this coin?

RobinMitchell
Coin Collector

#5 Unread post by RobinMitchell » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:23 pm

Yes, but I'm so new to selling that I have no earthly idea where to start or what to sell with what. Sorry for not being more clear. With sibling approval, I've decided to try to sell the collection in chunks to generate some income and have something to do while I'm job-hunting (though if there was a way for me to sit here and look at coins all day, I would jump on it!)

I posted this dollar on Ebay last night, not so much to make a buck, but to see what kind of interest my amateur listing will generate, and to re-learn Ebay processes since I haven't used it in 12 years. I expect that I'll probably start out too high, but I'd rather make a mistake on the high side than give something away.

Pal - thanks for the tip! I don't know if my grandfather ever had a magnet or checked authenticity, but I'll be sure and get one. Wanna hear a really dumb rookie question? Do I want the magnet to pick up the Trade dollar or not? I apparently didn't retain from grade school which metals respond to magnets, and I don't know the composition of a Trade dollar without looking it up. I feel so silly asking. :)

What I can't figure out is how to sell the specific items I have. I know I can't please every type of collector, but I do want to sell sensibly so that people get a good deal AND we realize at least a little higher value than selling to a dealer as one lot. Do I pull the 1932-D and 1932-S Washington quarters out of the blue Whitman folder to sell individually, then keep the rest for silver value and wait for silver to go back up? Or do I have a better chance of selling the complete book of quarters and making more than silver value because it contains those coins? Do I list five proof sets from the same year as a group? Or one set from each year in a group? Or all the proof sets together? Or sell one set at a time with comments about individual coin quality? Do I sell all of the Morgans as a set even though key years are missing, or try to sell them one at a time? Aaaaah! Who wants what? Is there a "wanted" forum somewhere? :)

I'm just afraid I'll sell something that would make another item or grouping worth less to someone else by not being sold together, then I'm stuck with something like 1983S proof sets because nobody wanted them (though one of the 1983S sets is absolutely gorgeous!!).

I'm probably over-thinking it, but selling this collection this is kind of a fun project for me, so I want to do a good job. I really appreciate you guys and your help and patience!

RobinMitchell
Coin Collector

#6 Unread post by RobinMitchell » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:47 pm

And Daniel - just so you know...I haven't ignored your advice. Just documenting what's here has taken time because I had to educate myself along the way. The more I learned the more I realized I needed to know before I could even call a dealer. I also fell in love with some really pretty coins during the inventory, so that kind of changed the direction I could go in my heart. I'm still obligated to sell them, and Ebay and free USPS shipping supplies have presented me with an opportunity to work from home until the collection is sold. I'm very excited.

"My advice would have been to get three or four appraisals, then look through for errors and the high dollar varieties, then separate the key dates and grade condition rarities like uncirculated type coins then take the rest of the silver and sell it at ebay. You're value is going to be in the key dates and uncirculated type coins, and check a the values here for coins, dates and mints that are worth something in about uncirculated"

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:01 pm

Key dates and high grade coins are always better to sell separately. You can always sell the coins here for free and if you need any help with ebay then I can help you. I also started an ebay selling group and you don't have to pay any fees to sell. Here's the group https://www.facebook.com/groups/coincol ... pauctions/

You should offer paypal and they charge 3% of your payment.

Paul

#8 Unread post by Paul » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:35 pm

a "magnet" SHOULD NOT attract any silver coin...

:eureka:
i also use a better quality digital gram scale, & digital calipers to 'check' coins....& often include the pic of that coin, on the scale / in the calipers, 'within the listing', if i am selling it "raw".
Attachments
SCALE CALIPER.JPG

RobinMitchell
Coin Collector

#9 Unread post by RobinMitchell » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:12 pm

Eeeesh....I'm trying to make money here Pal, not spend it! LOL :)

Thanks for the info on the silver. I found a magnet in my son's room and it didn't like the Trade or any other silver coins. :)

finalfantasy
Coining Around

#10 Unread post by finalfantasy » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:07 am

I have to agree with Paul on this one because I had one of my trade dollars checked out by a coin dealer as it passed the silver test but failed when weighed on a digital scale. Therefore, I have to say a digital scale is imperative and a magnet is usually easy to find online too.