Indian Head Penny Collection for sale

This forum is for buying, selling and trading as well as promoting your ebay or Facebook auctions.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Please mark as sold after listing sells. No fraudulent or unscrupulous activity allowed, just be honest about the coins you're selling and there won't be any problems.
foxtrot-uniform
Coining Around

Indian Head Penny Collection for sale

#1 Unread post by foxtrot-uniform » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:00 am

I have an Indian Head penny collection that I need to sell (for cash). It is a complete set, VF or better. I had it appraised (for insurance purposes), it appraised just over 2 years ago for $8500, so $8500 is very optimistic. I have turned down a $4K cash offer.

My house is in the woods (figuratively speaking)........since it is so far off the beaten path, I need to find an out of town auction house with the proper credentials and reputation to sell these coins on my behalf.

When I look online with a search engine, it’s not much help-to much data to sort through. So, I (suspect) I need a nudge in the right direction with finding an appropriate auction house.

I’m not opposed to using ebay, but I just don’t know how well ebay will do for getting me a reasonable price. A quick once over on the ebay site confirms that they probably aren’t the best for collections in the $3K and up range.

Suggestions please?

TIA

BB

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Indian Head Penny Collection for sale

#2 Unread post by Daniel » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:59 pm

You expect too much for your coins and I question who appraised this collection for you. Even if these were graded they would not be worth $8,500, not even if they were EF40 and that's high retail. So you're going to be disappointed anyway you try to sell them if you're basing your sell price on this appraisal. Unless you have the major varieties 4k for a raw set is not bad at all.

An auction house is going to take up to 20% of the final value anyway. I wish I could look over the coins. I would like to see why they appraised at $8500.