Gold Spouse coins

U.S. Gold Commemorative pictures and info

Moderator: Daniel

jpeter
Coining Around

Gold Spouse coins

#1 Unread post by jpeter » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:00 pm

I am looking for some opinions... I was thinking of selling most of my coin collection and investing it all in buying the Gold Spouce coins. Good investment? I know gold fluctuates, but the mintages will probably always be low. Thoughts anyone? :ponder:

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Gold Spouce coins

#2 Unread post by Daniel » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:01 am

I know the mintages are low but the demand isn't high for the Spouse coins. Plus, the mint over-prices these coins. If you want to invest in gold I would check into other options. You can find gold for a little over current spot and that seems to be the best method for buying.

Another option is buying low grade, cleaned or damaged US Gold coins but you must buy from a reputable dealer.

jpeter
Coining Around

#3 Unread post by jpeter » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:58 pm

Yes the mint over prices EVERYTHING! You think old gold coins, that are damaged or cleaned would be better. A better price? What gold coins in particular do you think? Thanks for the input!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:41 pm

It's up to your budget. You buy the most common (highest mintage dates and mints), and any denomination from $2.50-$20.00, and search for damaged examples to buy for a discount.

I would look for obvious scratches, holes, repaired holes and heavily dinged coins. Often, you will get the same amount of silver but for a discounted price compared to the more attractive and problem free coins.

jpeter
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by jpeter » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:01 am

But if you are buying sort of junk coins at a discount, wont they always be worth less because of thier condition?

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#6 Unread post by Maineman750 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:38 pm

Yes, I agree with Daniel if you are looking to invest in gold more for the bullion value
Roger

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:35 pm

jpeter wrote:But if you are buying sort of junk coins at a discount, wont they always be worth less because of thier condition?
Yes they will. However, if gold continues to rise then so do the "junk" coins but unlike the people who paid exstravagent prices for the best looking coins, you were frugal and was able to buy more gold thus you earned more money on your investment.

If you paid $1,000 for 5 cleaned and bent gold coins and I pay $1,000 for one MS coin. Who has the most gold? It's a known fact that the higher gold rises the more desirable the junk gold coins become and less for the higher grade gold coins.

jpeter
Coining Around

#8 Unread post by jpeter » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:05 pm

I see your point. Why do people buy high quality, slabbed old gold coins then?
I just thought low mintages would keep the price high as they would be scarce. Even if the price of gold fell. Which it might. I am looking at a long term investment. 20 + years.
When you say reputable dealer I take it you mean to stay away from Ebay?
-Jerry

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#9 Unread post by Maineman750 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:27 pm

jpeter, you asked a good question. Actually you are speculating, not investing. And we steered you to the simplest method. If you want to "invest" in high quality,low mintage coins, the first thing you need to do is spend a lot of time learning. Low mintage does not guaranty increased value by itself. Desirability,mintage, and condition all combined are what you would look for to insure a good return on your money.You'll find as many opinions on which coins to "invest" in as there are coins. And yes you can get deals on eBay, but you really need to know your coin and pricing to do so.Even a slab can be counterfeited so that's not a guaranty either.
So that sums up why we recommended bullion,it is simple. Anything else will require quite a bit of effort on your part and if you choose to do so, that's great....just not easy.
Roger

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Daniel » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:18 pm

My point is... if 20 years down the road something dramatic happens to our economy ot nation (I hope not), then rare gold coins will lose their value (I don't see it happening). However, the more gold you have, if something unforseen occures, the better.

If you desire to buy coins, that have the most likely chance of increasing in value, then choose coins with mintages not far from the most rare coins but still don't cost as much. I know of several coins that trade a high premium, but other coins with lower mintages trade for less.

In example, the 1921 Peace Dollar trades for a higher premium then the 1927 Peace Dollars, but the 1927-D and S have a lower mintage total. It could be that more 1921 Peace Dollars were melted and not as available as the 1927's, but one look at ebay doesn't convince me of that. So I chose to buy all 1927 Peace Dollars in all mints.