German Commemoratives Part II

Post, ask questions and discuss World and Ancient Coin topics.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
regandon
Coin Expert

German Commemoratives Part II

#1 Unread post by regandon »

Part II of Collecting German Commemorative coins

Bavarian Commemoratives
If your into collecting German commemoratives, than the German State of Bavaria had minted many of them during the mid to late 1800’s. Commemoratives from this German State are very interesting and of historical importance to the people of Germany. There are 2 Gulden, ½ Thalers, Thalers (Taler) and Double Thaler coins to chose from. Most important, is that the majority of the Bavarian commemoratives are affordable. Ranging from $200 in AU-58 to many thousands of dollars in high mint state grade. You will find yourself buying AU grades over mint state when looking at buying the Double Thalers. The price jumps quite high from AU-55 / 58 to MS-65. Even if you do have a hefty bank account, the price of an MS-65 could help bring your bank account down very fast.

Here is a list of commemoratives I find very interesting.
1) The very affordable 1855 (KM#465) 2 Gulden that commemorates the Restoration of the Madonna Column in Munich.
2)The following three Thalers could fall into the variety classification for variety collectors. All three of the Thalers are not dated, and with no the denomination on the coin.
A) The ND (1806-1808) School prize ½ Thaler KM# 348
B) The ND (1807-1808) School prize ½ Thaler KM# 353
C) The ND (1808-1837) School prize ½ Thaler KM# 357
3) The 1825 Thaler (KM# 370) Commemorative of Coronation of Ludwig I
4) The 1827 Thaler (KM# 380) Commemorative of Founding of the Order Of Ludwig
5) The 1827 Thaler (KM# 381) Commemorative of Founding of the Theresien Order
6) This is one of the most popular commemorative Thalers. The 1828 (KM# 386) Blessing of the Royal Family.
7) The 1830 Thaler (KM# 393) Loyalty of the Bavarians to the Royal Family
8) This 1835 Thaler is the major variety coin of the series. It commemorates the monument in Munich to King Maximillian Josef. Some of the coins show the King with his Scepter not beyond his shoulder. They are KM# 411.1 and 411.2
9) This 1842 Double Thaler is the other major variety coin of the series. It commemorates the marriage of the Crown Prince of Bavaria and Marie, the Royal Princess of Prussia. One coin show the date of marriage as Oct. 1st, which was in error. The other coin has the correct date of Oct. 12th

These next commemoratives are of very important historical events.
1) The 1833 Thaler (KM# 404) Commemorative of Monument for Bavarians who had Fell in Russia
2) The 1835 Thaler (KM# 410) Commemorative of Construction of the First Steam Railway
3) The 1835 Thaler (KM# 412) Commemorative of School given to Benedictine Order
4) The 1871 Thaler (KM# 496) Commemorative of German Victory in The Franco-Prussian War
5) The 1839 Double Thaler (KM# 425) Commemorative of Maximillian I as Elector of Bavaria
6) The 1843 Double Thaler (KM# 434) Commemorative of 100th Anniversary Academy of Erlangen
7) The 1844 Double Thaler (KM# 437) Commemorative of Completion of the General’s Hall in Munich
8) The 1848 Double Thaler (KM# 443) Commemorative of Abdication of Ludwig I for Maximillian
9) The 1846 Double Thaler (KM# 441) Commemorative of the Completion of the Canal Between Danube and Main Rivers
10) The 1856 Double Thaler (KM# 467) Commemorative of Erection of Monument to King Maximillian II
11) The 1848 Double Thaler (KM# 447.1) Commemorative of New Constitution. There is a variety of this coin. KM# 447.2 with edge lettering CONVENTION-VOM

There are many more commemorative coins during this time period, than what I’ve listed within this article. Do your research first to make things easier. Decide if you only want to collect the ½ Thalers or the large Double Thalers. There are fake copies on the market of these popular coins. If you do not have the knowledge of knowing a fake coin from a real one. Than buy one that’s been graded by PCGS or NGC. The fun part of collecting commemoratives, is that you learn history and gain much knowledge to boot.
ANA member# R-3128774
WINS member# 774

Templar Knights Motto
NON NOBIS, DOMINE, NON NOBIS, SED TUD
NOMINI GLORIAM

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: German Commemoratives Part II

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

Yes, collecting coins will give you knowledge of history and important World events. Great article. How much is a Thaler in U.S. Dollars?

regandon
Coin Expert

Re: German Commemoratives Part II

#3 Unread post by regandon »

TPGSadmin wrote:Yes, collecting coins will give you knowledge of history and important World events. Great article. How much is a Thaler in U.S. Dollars?
A litte history first. The Thaler was replaced in 1871 after Germany unified. During this time the Germans reformed their coinage system. The Thaler was changed to the Vereinsthaler, and in 1908 the Vereinsthaler was changed to the 3 Mark. It was of the same weight and size of the Vereinsthaler. It's said that even in the 1930's that the German people still called the 3 Mark coin a Thaler.

100 Pfennig = 1 Mark
100 Pennies = 1 Dollar

To tell you how much a Thaler back then was worth to a US Dollar back in the 1800's, I do not know. I would think it would have traded as a dollar in the US in the 1800's. As I stated, I realy do not know, but I will find out.
ANA member# R-3128774
WINS member# 774

Templar Knights Motto
NON NOBIS, DOMINE, NON NOBIS, SED TUD
NOMINI GLORIAM