Collecting Thalers of the Holy Roman Empire

Post, ask questions and discuss World and Ancient Coin topics.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
regandon
Coin Expert

#1 Unread post by regandon »

17th—18th centuries

Collecting German Thalers can be very fun and interesting. The history behind the coins are the most interesting aspect of collecting them. One thing I should point out, is the art work on some of the these large Thalers, are just amazing. You can collect ones with religious themes on them, or ones that have city views. If your into collecting by coat of arms, than you will not be disappointed. One area I find very interesting and possibly the most historical, are the commemorative issues. Within the commemorative issues, you can collect the Thalers that commemorate the deaths of Kings, Dukes, Queens and the births of Royal family children and grandchildren.
To make a Thaler collection specialized, you should decide what Thalers you want to collect. As stated earlier within this article, there are many types to collect. A lessen I learnt the hard way, is not to let yourself get carried away. Do not think you can collect one Thaler from every German State, Duchy, Bishopric or Free Cities. It is almost impossible to do. You would have to be a multi-millionaire to do this.

Ok, so now lets look at how to put together a very nice collection of Thalers. First off, I would recommend getting the Davenport books on German Thalers. These books are the most comprehensive works on German Thalers. After doing some intensive studying, you want to find out which types of Thalers you want to collect. The reason I state to do some research, is do to the fact that there are many interesting types. If you find out that you may be interested in collecting varieties within a series. Than you must also understand that some of the varieties can be very expensive. Without a good book that covers these varieties, you can become lost very fast. Not only lost on which Thalers are rare, but also which ones are most sought after. A good book will also help you with knowing how many minor and major die changes there are within a series. So, as you can see, the old saying of buy the book before the coin does hold true.

Next, would be to find out which Thalers you find are the most interesting. As stated earlier within this article, there are many States, Duchies, Bishoprics and Free Cities within the Holy Roman Empire to pick from. The Free Cities are very interesting with City Views on the reverse of the coin. City View Thalers are very popular, and most are rare to find in high grade mint state.
So find out which category of Thalers you want to study up on. As you can see there are many types to collect. One series I’ve forgotten to mention, is the metallic issues. These Thalers are medals, but were given legal tender. These issues have some of the nicest designs on them.

The most important part in assembling a collection, is to have some type of order within it. If you plan on collecting by State, than look at collecting one or two States. This way your collection will be more specialized, and not one that looks just thrown together. Look at collecting Thalers from both the 17th and 18th centuries. Some of the Rulers did rule during both centuries. Doing it this way, you can include the commemorative Thalers of the Ruler. Such as a 25th year of Reign, or a Thaler commemorating the Rulers age and one that commemorates his death. You can also collect Thalers that show the Ruler on a horse, holding his sword or scepter. Or, you can collect a Ruler dressed in his armor. As you can see there are many ways to assemble a nice interesting Thaler collection. This is were a good specialized book comes as a must have.
1666b.jpg
Dukes 88th birthday commemorative (Taler)
regensburg.jpg
Free City of Regensburg. This is a City View Thaler (Taler)
1627aa.jpg
Duke on horse in armor (2Taler)
ANA member# R-3128774
WINS member# 774

Templar Knights Motto
NON NOBIS, DOMINE, NON NOBIS, SED TUD
NOMINI GLORIAM

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Collecting Thalers of the Holy Roman Empire

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

Interesting and helpful article, and your correct, Thaler coin art work is splendid and one of my favorites thanks to your posts.

ryanbak3r
Coining Around

#3 Unread post by ryanbak3r »

Very Interesting Thank You

Samuel
Coining Around

#4 Unread post by Samuel »

Very nice indeed. Would love to start collecting these coins since I started to study the Holy Roman Empire history, but I bed it will cost a fortune. Also interesting that at that time there was no standard German spelling, so every body writes as they pleased.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Daniel »

Samuel wrote:Very nice indeed. Would love to start collecting these coins since I started to study the Holy Roman Empire history, but I bed it will cost a fortune. Also interesting that at that time there was no standard German spelling, so every body writes as they pleased.
Thanks for your input. I didn't know there wasn't any standard German spelling during this time frame. It reminds me of the spelling and abbreviations of the Internet today.

Samuel
Coining Around

#6 Unread post by Samuel »

I studied Architecture and work in Duesseldorf, Germany for over 10 years. I love medieval castles and churches. As student, I went to Friedrich Barbarossa's Castle (ruin) try to imagine whats happening there. From those writings on the wall I question my self why they "misspelled" badly. Later, I learned that there was no standard German language at that time.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel »

That's interesting. Our son wants to spend some time in Germany and he loves everything German.

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#8 Unread post by Maineman750 »

Another very nice lesson Regandon, thank you !

Samuel, that was an interesting statement about the German language...and even though they have one standard "High German" there are still many dialects throughout Germany...I can remember traveling and getting funny looks when I asked for "Krumpel"....Dusseldorf was near where my Oma and Opa lived...so you may know what "Krumpel" is.
Roger