is this cast?

Post, ask questions and discuss World and Ancient Coin topics.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
RomanGreekCoins
Coin Wizz

is this cast?

#1 Unread post by RomanGreekCoins »

just wondering
Attachments
roman republicanon4s-l500.jpg
Last edited by RomanGreekCoins on Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

Re: is this cast?

#2 Unread post by mhonzell »

While I don't think so, you didn't provide a diameter or weight and there are two photos of the same side.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

RomanGreekCoins
Coin Wizz

#3 Unread post by RomanGreekCoins »

oh sorry. here ya go
Attachments
romanreps-l500.jpg

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#4 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

What is the weight and diameter?
Sometimes an image of the edge of the coin can help as well.
(Are the horses heads normal? They appear "cartoonish".)

Also, the obverse rim @ K-9 has a raised circle with "dimples" top and bottom of the circle that remind me of a casting sprue. Close in appearance and size to one of the perimeter dots, but slightly out of alignment and different size.

There are many ways to create fake coins. I'm strictly a hobbyist but have come across cast fakes the last two years that have opened my eyes to different things to look out for.

Some counterfeiters will use all kinds of trickery to separate you from your hard earned $ Money!!!
(See this thread on Counterfeits LINK .)
Cliff

Edit: Added the LINK, which I forgot originally.
Last edited by PetesPockets55 on Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by mhonzell »

Okay, I'm sure you found this coin in an auction group and you are wondering if it is fake.

I've stated before, I don't collect Greek coins or Roman Republic coins. I only collect Roman Imperials.
So, instead of having me identify the coin with no information provided, try giving me at least what the seller thinks it is. Or, put your posts in the forum on Ancient Coins at FORVM where there are experts on Greek and Republic coins.

This type of coin normally has the name of the ruler on the reverse just above ROMA, or instead of ROMA.
When it is without, it is attributed as ANONYMOUS. Because it is anonymous, it is dated around 157 BC. And, the horses were made with the extended head and are cartoonish.
The seller probably provided a date range, so this could help determine if it is fake.

The problem is the circle of dots. I found two examples of the coin and both had a solid circle, not dots. So, I probably have the wrong coin. (Note: the helmets don't exactly match.)

As to whether it is cast or not:
First, excellent photos.
Second, cast coins do not do well with cracks on the edge. So, Cliff is correct in pointing out the dot and crack at K-9. Look at the edge and see if it passes through the coin, or is filled in by the casting.
Is this medal alignment or coin alignment?

If medal alignment, the crack should be on the reverse at K-3, but that edge is dark and I can't tell.
If coin alignment, there is no crack at K-9 on the reverse making this cast.

Lastly, again, ancient coins are tooled or extravagantly cleaned before sold. This makes determining if a coin is cast by photo rather difficult unless very poorly done. So, if in doubt, don't buy it. There are a lot of fakes out there.
Attachments
a.jpg
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

RomanGreekCoins
Coin Wizz

#6 Unread post by RomanGreekCoins »

its

16.5 -17 mm
4 grams

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#7 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

RomanGreekCoins wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:29 pm its

16.5 -17 mm
4 grams
Thanks but how about Marks question: (Underlines are added by me)
"If medal alignment, the crack should be on the reverse at K-3, but that edge is dark and I can't tell.
If coin alignment, there is no crack at K-9 on the reverse making this cast."

So is it medal or coin alignment?
And an image of the edge of the coin at the area in question will be helpful as well.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by mhonzell »

Do you already know the attribution?
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

RomanGreekCoins
Coin Wizz

#9 Unread post by RomanGreekCoins »

ANCIENT ROME.

'ROMAN REPUBLIC'

BEAUTIFUL SILVER DENARIUS COIN.

" ANONYMOUS "

157 - 155 B.C.

*** BEAUTIFUL ''BIGA" ( 2 HORSE CHARIOT) ON REVERSE.

OBV: HELMETED HEAD OF ROMA rt.

REV: VICTORY IN BIGA rt; ROMA IN EX.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by mhonzell »

Thank you! Good to know I'm in the same ballpark on attribution.

Did you see the questions on medal alignment? You may not be able to answer if you are looking to buy the coin. But, would be a good question for seller. And, ask for photo of cracked edge.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins