another Constantinian Coin ID

Post, ask questions and discuss World and Ancient Coin topics.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
RomanGreekCoins
Coin Wizz

another Constantinian Coin ID

#1 Unread post by RomanGreekCoins »

Like i said Constantine had so many kids and the coins all look the same

Any idea who this is?

Is it Constantine I ? or one of his kids?

Could it be Constantinus II? Constantine II? Constans? Gallus?
Attachments
2ndconstantinedynastyob.jpg
2ndconstantinedynastyreverse.jpg

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

Re: another Constantinian Coin ID

#2 Unread post by mhonzell »

Here's my process, in full to identify this coin:

The best quick reference I've found on these is www.romancoin.info.
All you do is match the obverse and reverse to the examples. Each example is linked to an Excel file which provides information on every variation. (Free download of this reference material!)

Under each picture is a small description of the history of the type. So, in this case, the reverse is a "single standard" (the pole between the two soldiers) and the legend is "GLORIA EXERCITVS" (Glorius Army). [That's identified as Reverse 11... "These coins were minted for a few years at the end of Constantine’s reign and for a few years after he died."

Using the spreadsheet, you find the mint mark in the exergue: SMT? (which can only be 'SMTS') [I cannot make out the officina on this coin.]
That quickly identifies that the coin was made in Thessalonica. It also shows all the possible officina: Α, Β, Γ, Δ, ε.
The second column shows what you should find on the banner atop the standard: (nothing), 'o', or a '•' (I think yours is an 'o')
(nothing), O, or Dot
(nothing), O, or Dot
nothing-horz.jpg (10.95 KiB) Viewed 2678 times
Other symbols can show up here ('M', 'I', Chi-Rho, etc.)
Maiorina-Vetranio-siscia_RIC_281.jpg
Maiorina-Vetranio-siscia_RIC_281.jpg (11.94 KiB) Viewed 2674 times
But, that means it is a different ruler: Constans or Constantine II

Other columns will tell you the rarity, year made, and RIC number.

For this reverse, the obverses are all Constantine the Great according to the spreadsheet. But, my other reference, which is more reliable, says this is Constantine II.
They can be distinguished by the headdress, direction facing, and characters or symbols found in the fields.
And the lettering that I can make out shows: 'CONSTANT.... PF AVG', or Constanti (which is Constantine). The VS should be on the same side as the PF AVG, but is missing from the coin.

Helpful tips to the obverse legends:
PF - Pius (Pious), Felix (Happy)
AVG - Augustus (Emperor)
AVGG - Two Emperor rule at the same time, different areas
NOB - Nobilis (Noble)
C or CAE or CAES - Caesar (which is a son ruling under the father)
DN - Dominus Noster (Our Lord)

So, that makes this an RIC VII 222, 223, 225, or 226, or RIC VIII 56, 57, or 58, depending on the officina and made between 335-348 AD.
Another reference (big bucks) I have shows this can only be a 55 or 56. So, the overlap of the two indicates it is RIC VIII 56 which has the legend CONSTANTIVS PF AVG. (A little shorter.) And, rules out officina ε. Made between 337-340 AD.
(Note: the coin pictured below is from Siscia, so the clothing is a little different on Constantine.)
Attachments
Capture-vert.jpg
a.jpg
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

RomanGreekCoins
Coin Wizz

#3 Unread post by RomanGreekCoins »

thanks i will try but i dont have enough knowledge on this subject to know where to begin. the legend on some of my coins is worn and i dont know the terminology

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by mhonzell »

That's why I gave a link to the reference and showed you the process. As soon as you identify one, they get phenomenally easier.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

RomanGreekCoins
Coin Wizz

#5 Unread post by RomanGreekCoins »

Could this be it?

Thessalonica
RIC VIII 56 Constantius II AE3. 330-341 AD. CONSTANTIVS P F AVG, laureate and rosette diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right / GLORIA EXERCITVS, two soldiers standing to either side of one standard, o on banner. Mintmark SMTSB.

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/cons ... ii_056.jpg

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/cons ... ii_056.txt

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by mhonzell »

That is it!

Did you read my post? I identified the coin for you.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

RomanGreekCoins
Coin Wizz

#7 Unread post by RomanGreekCoins »

yes,. thanks a bunch!

Why are the Constantinian coins all so similar looking? Why didnt they make different portraits? or reverses?

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by mhonzell »

Most likely, stability. Acceptance of the coins across the empire. It was a bad time for the Roman Empire. Look at some of the reverses on the coins... Especially the Fel Temp Reparatio coins. Pictures of soldiers subduing slaves. The empire ended up split, giving us the Byzantine Empire.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins