hi guys, can an NGC ancient coin be fake?

Post, ask questions and discuss World and Ancient Coin topics.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
RomanGreekCoins
Coin Wizz

hi guys, can an NGC ancient coin be fake?

#1 Unread post by RomanGreekCoins »

What methods do they use to test if its genuine or not? XRF? or just weight/size and ID with other genuine coins?

I am curious about this coin- Not saying its fake- just the edge looks a tiny bit suspect for silver....

for example

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hadrian-Denari ... SwoaFZrzZe

and some of the guys other items are NGC but look a tad off- Im not an expert. thats why I am asking you guys :)

has there ever been an imitation NGC case( even with the hologram?)

is it worth duplicating it.?

Thanks in advance everyone

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

Re: hi guys, can an NGC ancient coin be fake?

#2 Unread post by mhonzell »

Determination of genuine is always subjective with factual support:
The more coins you handle, the better you become at knowing the expected details, or "style" of a coin. Doesn't matter the age, and for most parts, the condition. As a minimum, weight and diameter should fall within specific parameters. Beyond that, you start learning what capabilities the original engravers actually had.

I remember asking a museum curator how they knew that a bent up corroded piece of metal was an Etruscan spearhead and not a part of some junkyard car. Mostly I got "that look", as if I'd asked the dumbest question, or was I accusing them of trying to fool me. Then, he told me it comes with experience. Copies always use modern tools, which leave different "patterns" of wear and tear than the original tools used to make them. The best copies use the original processes to make items, but even there, the details are made with a decision on the final "look", not the "original" look worn down over centuries.
Musuem Curator wrote:Numismatics is truly a science and there are those of us who have dedicated much time to the study of ancient coins and their characteristics, and, utilizing scientific analysis as well as die-studies of each coin-issue, these forgeries have been and are being discovered and published as such and removed from the market nearly as fast as they appear. Beirut has traditionally been the center of counterfeiting, but in the last decade or so (due to the unrest) most of the forgeries have evidently been emanating from Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, and Sicily. Although these forgers are skilled, it is nearly impossible to completely convey the "style" and create the proper surfaces that natural aging (of 2,000 or so years) produces.
No matter what holder it is in, YOU, have the final say on whether it is genuine or not. A holder usually means that someone who has handled a lot of coins has given you their opinion anonymously.

Fake NGC holders? Yes
It is not rampant, but they are out there. Same for PCGS and ANACS.

If you are buying a slabbed coin, take the time to look up the registration number. Do they have the same grade? Does it look like the same coin (if picture provided). In this case, NGC has great photos. But, since the buyer provided a lousy reverse photo, it can be difficult to verify it is the same coin. Get a better photo, first.
Attachments
a-horz.jpg
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

RomanGreekCoins
Coin Wizz

#3 Unread post by RomanGreekCoins »

thank you. I wasnt sure

RomanGreekCoins
Coin Wizz

#4 Unread post by RomanGreekCoins »

do you think an NGC coin can be fake intentionally in the case?

or by accident only? I know the NGC cases have holograms and all. i dont know how easy that is to duplicate the case...

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by mhonzell »

Did you read the article linked to my last post?
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

RomanGreekCoins
Coin Wizz

#6 Unread post by RomanGreekCoins »

Yes i see it now ty

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#7 Unread post by Paul »

nice post M, great 'link' also :thumbsup:

...my gotcoins: here:

:eureka:
there is really only one 'problem' here,.....
when we find these counterfeits, & we 'post' the details w/ pics, ... the 'makers' now know 'what' to fix/correct....
.....& the loop starts again. that's why i personally DO NOT 'post', on the net, any FAKE-O finds i run across.
..... kind of a double edge sword here. bad if you don't, bad if ya do !

again ..... JMO
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by mhonzell »

Just to clarify...
This one is not a fake.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

RomanGreekCoins
Coin Wizz

#9 Unread post by RomanGreekCoins »

thanks guys.