marius coin with serrated edge?

Post, ask questions and discuss World and Ancient Coin topics.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
RomanGreekCoins
Coin Wizz

marius coin with serrated edge?

#1 Unread post by RomanGreekCoins »

why do roman coins have serrated edges?

is this tooling ? a sign that its not authentic?
Attachments
mariusfronts-l1600.jpg
mariusbacks-l1600.jpg
mariussides-l1600.jpg

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

Re: marius coin with serrated edge?

#2 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

If it is authentic, it could be a way for the merchant to file/"clip" off some of the silver.
A way of increasing his profit, but cheating the customer or next merchant.

(I believe that is part of the reason you see merchants/bankers/assayers marks on coins in later centuries, a system to verify/authenticate the purity or weight of a coin.)

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by mhonzell »

There are two major periods when serrated edges were used on ancient coins:
Seleucid and Roman Republic
Seleucid coins are thought to be decorative.
Roman Republic coins are thought to be an anti-counterfeit measure. Remember the plated legion coin?
Serration exposes the inner base metal.

The flans were serrated prior to striking.
Last edited by mhonzell on Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

RomanGreekCoins
Coin Wizz

#4 Unread post by RomanGreekCoins »

I see . Do you think it appears to be authentic serrated edges to prevent counterfeiting?

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by mhonzell »

What do you see that makes you question the authenticity?

You are not providing the information needed for authenticity:
Known examples:
1. Coin weight... should be ~3.92g
2. Coin diameter... should be ~19mm

Pedigree:
3. Where did the coin come from?
... Did the seller find the coin, or buy it from someone else?
4. Who sold you the coin?
5. Is this the condition the coin was sold to you, or did you clean it?

I don't have a problem with the serration. What I initially questioned was the Roman number on the coin... CXXXVIIII (139) It should be written as CXXXIX. But, this was not standardized in 81 BC and the Greek coin makers didn't really understand the numbering system. So, is this a possible combination? Yes

Should S C (Senatus Consulto) be on a coin from 81 BC? That was usually an indicator that the senate had approved debasing the coin, which didn't start until around 30 AD, and was found on bronze coins. (You see, I tend to deal with coins from the Roman Imperial period.) Come to find out that this is okay as this meant that the senate decreed the issuance of this coin and is also found on most Roman Republic coins after 112 BC.

You also asked if this is "tooling"? Yes, but probably not in the sense you are stating the question.
The flan was tooled, by hand, before the coin was struck to create the serration.
The coin was tooled, by hand, after it was recently found to clean the coin. See video. (This is not the recommended method. It is just showing the various tools used to change the surface.)
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#6 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Really helpful info Mark.
Thanks.

RomanGreekCoins
Coin Wizz

#7 Unread post by RomanGreekCoins »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Republic-Roman ... 1438.l2649

i found this on ebay. no weight or size in the description

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#8 Unread post by Paul »

mhonzell wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:00 pm There are two major periods when serrated edges were used on ancient coins:
Seleucid and Roman Republic
Seleucid coins are thought to be decorative.
Roman Republic coins are thought to be an anti-counterfeit measure. Remember the plated legion coin?
Serration exposes the inner base metal.

The flanks were serrated prior to striking.
:thumbsup: :trophy:
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by mhonzell »

RomanGreekCoins wrote:i found this on ebay. no weight or size in the description
You misunderstand. You are asking me to authenticate a coin without the information required to authenticate the coin.

As to the listing:
Note in the listing that he provides information on whom he purchased the coin from and a very descriptive listing on coin details. Harlan Berk is a reputable auction house that guarantees their ancient coins and artifacts. That said, I checked Harlan Berk's sold files and did not find this coin.

Because he sells many odds and ends, I suspect this detail is simply copied from the original sale of the coin.
I think he's a little high on the price, but he is accepting offers. And, keep in mind, the HB guarantee does not apply to future sales.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

RomanGreekCoins
Coin Wizz

#10 Unread post by RomanGreekCoins »

thanks mhonzell