Genuine Atocha Silver Coin?

Post, ask questions and discuss World and Ancient Coin topics.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
dv1978
Coining Around

Genuine Atocha Silver Coin?

#1 Unread post by dv1978 »

Hello,

If anyone would please be kind to help me verify if this is a genuine Atocha silver coin?

Thank you,

Daniel V.
Attachments
20171009_144643.jpg
20171009_144632.jpg

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Genuine Atocha Silver Coin?

#2 Unread post by mhonzell »

On the lower picture, the DIAA are in the correct position for the lions and castles.

The top picture is also correct, but rotated, which is a common problem.

The wear is typical.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of fakes sold as .925 fine silver jewelry.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#3 Unread post by Paul »

:welcome:
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

dv1978
Coining Around

#4 Unread post by dv1978 »

Hi mhonzell,

Thank you for your valuable information. I will be listing this on eBay and disclosing that the buyer can return the item if they determine that it is in fact a fake replica in .925 silver.

We are a small jewelry and watch repair business that offers many services such as custom designing, laser soldering, CAD cam design, engraving, etc. We have a solid customer base and we have many elderly customers who when their loved ones have passed away, they come to us to sell their valuables. We picked this coin up from an elderly woman. With that said, there is never any guarantee that it is in fact a genuine Atocha silver coin.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by mhonzell »

Mel Fisher and his son discovered the Atocha and turned to selling most of these coins as jewelry. His method of clamping the coin into a ring of silver is common among all but his most expensive jewelry. (see below)
Even he sells replicas, which blows my mind, but there you go.

Some of the replicas made by other than Mel Fisher are very well made and sell for similar prices as the authentic coins and their settings.
Attachments
a-horz.jpg
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#6 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

mhonzell wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:37 pm On the lower picture, the DIAA are in the correct position for the lions and castles.

The top picture is also correct, but rotated, which is a common problem.

The wear is typical.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of fakes sold as .925 fine silver jewelry.
Mark, are these points you make exclusive to the Atocha coins and not found on other silver shipwreck coins?
If not, I will add that without the COA from Mel or similar written authentication, I do not believe the OP should be saying it is an Atocha coin.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by mhonzell »

No. I was trying to determine if it was a real reale. The Atocha coins were all pretty worn and then Mel cleaned them to be shiny.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#8 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

mhonzell wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:37 am No. I was trying to determine if it was a real reale. The Atocha coins were all pretty worn and then Mel cleaned them to be shiny.
Thanks.
That's the way I understood it but wanted the Op to realize and keep his good rapport with customers.

Santaquinkid
Coining Around

#9 Unread post by Santaquinkid »

Is this Genuine Atocha coin? Value? Date?
Attachments
Genuine? Value? Date?
Genuine? Value? Date?
Genuine? Value? Year?
Genuine? Value? Year?

Santaquinkid
Coining Around

#10 Unread post by Santaquinkid »

Any help to identify and value this coin is greatly appreciated

bobber
Coining Around

#11 Unread post by bobber »

Fascinating. I had never heard of Atocha before this.
I also didn't expect to be reading a coin forum and end up reading a supreme court case that hinged on the 11th amendment Florida v. Treasure Salvors, 458 U.S. 670 !

Paul

#12 Unread post by Paul »

bobber wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:27 am Fascinating. I had never heard of Atocha before this.
I also didn't expect to be reading a coin forum and end up reading a supreme court case that hinged on the 11th amendment Florida v. Treasure Salvors, 458 U.S. 670 !
Old post, nice addition....

Mine mine mine, it's all mine, gimme gimme gimme............ what else would one expect!
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep