1312-1328 AD: Grossi

Post, ask questions and discuss World and Ancient Coin topics.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

1312-1328 AD: Grossi

#1 Unread post by mhonzell »

I've been looking for one of these coins for quite a while, but thought they were only made of gold. I didn't know they came in silver until last night. The gold ones are rather expensive. The silver ones... not so much. I've wanted this coin for the artistic content, not the metal, so I was rather happy to find it in silver.
Grosso.jpg
(Once I have the coin in hand, I'll take my own photo. For now, you'll have to look at the seller's photo.)

Grossi
1312-1328 AD

Obverse:
IO SVPANTIO S M VENETI (Giovanni Soranzo Saint Mark Venice), Doge (Duke), standing on left, receiving tall flag from St. Mark, standing on right, DVX (Duke) down flag staff;
Giovanni Soranzo was the "Duke" of Venice during this span of years. On the coin, you see St. Mark handing him his appointment as Duke.
Reverse:
Nimbate (encircling halo) Christ enthroned facing, holding gospels in lap, IC - XC (Greek abbreviation: Iισους Xριστος - Jesus Christ) flanking Christ's head

Mint: Venice
Silver
Paolucci 26.2

Diameter: 20.5 mm
Weight: 2.03 g.
===================
What does it look like when these are found?
Look carefully, you can see the devices on these coins in the jar.
newego_LARGE_t_1101_54046092.JPG
===================
The major monetary units of the time were the gold ducat (or Zecchin) and the silver grosso.
The gold ducat was used for commercial exchange and the silver grossi was the basis for daily transactions.

There were two types of Grosso:
1. One based on “pure” silver : 0.965 (AR Grossi)
2. One based on “impure” silver : 0.250 (AR Piccoli)

AR Grossi
1 Lira di grossi = 20 Soldi di grossi = 240 grossi
1 Soldi di grossi = 12 grossi

AR Piccoli
1 Lire di piccoli = 20 Soldi di piccoli = 240 piccoli
1 Soldi di piccolo = 12 piccoli
(Piccoli is plural for Penny)

The cross relationship:
1 Lira di grossi = 10 Ducat = 64 Lire di piccoli
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1312-1328 AD: Grossi

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

:winnah: Very nice. I like that coin as well.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by mhonzell »

Well, here's what it looks like from my end...
Attachments
D3A1.jpg
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

:winnah: hugeeyes

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#5 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Nice coin. Was there anything special you did when taking your images. They seem better/more appealing.

MHonzell wrote :
"Reverse: Nimbate (encircling halo) Christ enthroned facing....."

I'm curious if you know what the symbol under Christs left elbow is? (Sort of like an D) I'm going to guess it is a Greek symbol/letter.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by mhonzell »

Petespockets wrote:Was there anything special you did when taking your images. They seem better/more appealing.
Other than practice, practice, practice? I put felt behind this one because it was raw and needed help standing up, and I didn't crop out the felt with a black background. But, that's because the coin isn't round and cropping was going to work. So, not sure what I changed. :confused:

If you are talking about the difference from the first photo, that was the dealer's photo.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by mhonzell »

Petespockets wrote:I'm curious if you know what the symbol under Christs left elbow is?
Good question...
Now that I've looked at a few, I've found either "nothing", "dot", "5-pointed star", "3-pointed star", "plus", or this one's "circle". On one, the "circle" was on the left, instead of the right. One with a "plus" on the left and a "dot" on the right.

They were all made at the Venice mint. If it were older, I might state it was the officina where it was made in the mint, a kind of creator's signature that allowed the king to find the originator in the event the metal didn't have enough silver, or the cardinal looked too bug-eyed. But, I didn't find any real statements indicated what these were.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins