1855 Bavarian Commorative

Post, ask questions and discuss World and Ancient Coin topics.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
regandon
Coin Expert

1855 Bavarian Commorative

#1 Unread post by regandon »

Took some new pics. PCGS MS-62
_MG_3065a.jpg
_MG_3064a.jpg
ANA member# R-3128774
WINS member# 774

Templar Knights Motto
NON NOBIS, DOMINE, NON NOBIS, SED TUD
NOMINI GLORIAM

RHM22
Coin Expert

Re: 1855 Bavarian Commorative

#2 Unread post by RHM22 »

That's another nice one. Few royal names convey such a sense of regality as Maximilian. With a name like that, you must be a king or a kaiser. I'll bet the mintage is low on that one.

regandon
Coin Expert

#3 Unread post by regandon »

RHM22 wrote:That's another nice one. Few royal names convey such a sense of regality as Maximilian. With a name like that, you must be a king or a kaiser. I'll bet the mintage is low on that one.
It's mintage is not to low. 1 million of them minted.
ANA member# R-3128774
WINS member# 774

Templar Knights Motto
NOMINI GLORIAM

RHM22
Coin Expert

#4 Unread post by RHM22 »

It seems like it would be lower than that. Wasn't that the mintage of the Prussian thaler I won in the contest last month?

regandon
Coin Expert

#5 Unread post by regandon »

RHM22 wrote:It seems like it would be lower than that. Wasn't that the mintage of the Prussian thaler I won in the contest last month?
Yes the Prussian Taler was 1,000,000 minted. As for the Bavarian commem, it is the only Commemorative 2 Gulden minted from Bavaria in the 1800's. This is why its an important one to have.
ANA member# R-3128774
WINS member# 774

Templar Knights Motto
NOMINI GLORIAM

epop
Coin Collector

#6 Unread post by epop »

regandon's collection and posting here was a reason that sign up on this forum.It's rare to find another collector of German coins speaking English and be an active member on a forum. I like regandon's posts and his knowledge on european history.We have the same tastes on coins although I must admit it is quite more advanced.
So this is mine 1855 2 gulden commemorative coin.The statue on reverse you can find it in Marienplatz in Munich outside of Residenz Museum/Palace

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel »

Yes, it is rare to find English speaking German collectors who are knowleagble on the history and facts of the coins. Don is a world renowned expert and is currently writing a book on the subject and putting together a museum. You won't find but a few with his keen and indepth knowledge. I am glad to have you both since it's an interest of mine and I love looking at these coins.

regandon
Coin Expert

#8 Unread post by regandon »

Thanks to you both for the very nice comments.

I have been a collector for 40yrs now, and I joined this forum to help make the World Coin section a place to help new collectors. My knowledge base is Austrian and German coinages from the 16th to 19th century. I like the 17th and 18th centuries the most. I think the best Taler designs were during the late 1600's through the 1700's. The 1/2Taler in the last pic has a mintage of 700, and is from the Imperial City of Schwäbisch Hall. It got its title as an Imperial City during the reign of Rudolph I (who was a Hapsburg) in 1280.
Attachments
1746obv-horz.jpg
My fav..jpg
Saxony 1711.jpg
ANA member# R-3128774
WINS member# 774

Templar Knights Motto
NOMINI GLORIAM

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by Daniel »

I have to agree on the earlier designs, but over-all they knew how to create pleasing compositions.