Unidentified pentagram coin

Post, ask questions and discuss World and Ancient Coin topics.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Kellynutter
Coining Around

Unidentified pentagram coin

#1 Unread post by Kellynutter »

This might very well be a fruitless endeavor but I cannot identify this coin and it is driving me mad. If anyone has any idea, I would very much appreciate the input.
Attachments
Screenshot_2016-06-14-21-23-37.png
Screenshot_2016-06-14-21-23-09.png

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Unidentified pentagram coin

#2 Unread post by mhonzell »

Howdy!

It would help me if you could tell me anything you know about it. For example, where did you find it?
Unfortunately, the pentagram is extremely common symbol used on non-coin items, so this could be a bit difficult. The real clue is the three "men" on the front of the coin.

The "men" side has a Byzantine style... maybe Morrocan, with that headdress.
The pentagram side has some symbols on the coin. Maybe another photo with the light from a different angle would show them better.

Initially, I was going to put this in the token category, but there is a ring of dots around the coins edge, which was more common in ancient times than today. It could still be a replica, but let's see if we can find it first.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Kellynutter
Coining Around

#3 Unread post by Kellynutter »

Thank you for responding! Here are a few more photos in a different light, though I don't think they're as clear as those on the original post. :( Sorry!

Like you, I would also think this to be some sort of a mass produced replica if not for the distinct weathering as well as the imperfect nature of the coin. The markings are not centered, as I know you'd find in many older coins and tokens. I also suspected it to be one of those pressed pennies at first until I inspected it further and noted the differences in width and compound.

Oddly enough, it was found abandoned in a coin counting machine - done by mistake or with purpose, I have no idea. But the markings on it and its weathered and obviously old appearance prompted me to look deeper into the abandoned object.

I will look into the Byzantine angle, and I appreciate it very much... do you see anything else in these photos?
Attachments
coin1.PNG
coin1.PNG (272.45 KiB) Viewed 2477 times
coin2.PNG
coin2.PNG (235.49 KiB) Viewed 2477 times

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by mhonzell »

The idea was to get the shadows to show some of the letters on the pentagram side. And, that worked, somewhat. I also now know the relative size of the coin, which I didn't before.

You can always see more with your eyes than we can in photos due to the ability to move the coin.

Almost everything I'm finding has letters outside of the pentagram, nothing inside, except for Morrocan, but that is all the same symbol. This appears to have different symbols under each peak and only one symbol outside of the star.

Confused, but looking.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins