CAESAR DICT QVART COIN

Post, ask questions and discuss World and Ancient Coin topics.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
gogo2015
Coining Around

CAESAR DICT QVART COIN

#1 Unread post by gogo2015 »

Hello everybody, Does anyone have any information about this coin or whatever it is?

Caesar dict Qvart Coin

Weight : 2KG

Size : 20cm

Metal : Bronze
Attachments
896446superLarge.jpg

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

Re: CAESAR DICT QVART COIN

#2 Unread post by mhonzell »

While I'm pretty sure I recognize the coin, it would help to have a picture of the reverse side as well. Also, check the weight and diameter again... I doubt it weighs 2 kilograms, and the diameter is probably 20-25 mm, since 20 cm is about 8 inches. widegrin

Lastly, you state this is bronze. Ancient bronze is typically closer to black, or dark green... unless the coin has been severely cleaned, then it would be coppery in color. There are light sands that produce this color, but it doesn't look like that and Julius' coins didn't live in those areas. Julius Caesar's coins are silver. He did have a bronze medal with this legend, but it was ~45 mm in diameter.

My first guess, a silver coin:
RRC 480/2a : Julius Caesar, 44 BC
Obverse: Wreathed head of Caesar right, behind, lituus; around CAESAR·DICT·QVART. Border of dots.
Reverse: Juno Sospita in a biga right, holding reins and shield in left hand and spear in right; in exergue, M ·METTIVS. Border of dots.

By the way, CAESAR DICT QVART means: Caesar for the fourth time.
Attachments
RRC-480-2a.jpg
RRC-480-2a.jpg (42.59 KiB) Viewed 3481 times
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

gogo2015
Coining Around

#3 Unread post by gogo2015 »

I saw the coin in a pawnshop,there is no picture from the back. they just post this info and the picture -

Caesar dict Qvart Coin

Weight : 2KG

Size : 20cm

Metal : Bronze

price 140 british pounds

I'll go to the store today,to see is it true. what do you think Could be fake?
If there is nothing from the reverse,but is 20 cm and 2 kg.
Please give me advice what to do,whether to buy it :))

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by mhonzell »

At that price, both you and the store should know what you have in hand before you purchase the coin. Based on the information provided, neither one of you is certain and I think you would be burned in the end. Julius Caesar coins are highly sought after and the price is pretty low, but at this point I wouldn't consider this a "reputable" dealer and I think you are impulse buying.

I would ask you to look at the following website and consider some of their coins: Forvm Ancient Conis

If you are just looking for an ancient coin, there are plenty here. If you want to do research on Julius Caesar coins, just select the search button and type "Julius Caesar" into the Search All Fields box. Joe Sermarini is a reputable dealer. These prices are fair and the coins are guaranteed for life.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Daniel »

I agree M here... they don't know what they got so they're playing it safe just in case it is something or someone comes along and wants to pay what they think it's worth. Some Pawn Shops are bad about this.