Grading and valuing world coins

Post, ask questions and discuss World and Ancient Coin topics.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
RobinMitchell
Coin Collector

Grading and valuing world coins

#1 Unread post by RobinMitchell »

Hi guys - I've been having so much fun selling my grandfather's collection on Ebay. I've successfully sold over $6000 in proof and mint sets and individual coins since mid-December, and I want to thank those of you who gave me very valuable advice, and especially those of you who made purchases!! I know I made a ton of rookie mistakes, but all in all it was a wonderful project that allowed me to stay home with my family. And I still have most of the silver to cash in if the value would quit tanking! :)

Now I'm into the world coins and world paper from the same collection. I've gone through and identified every coin and bill, but now I'm ready to grade and value them. Based on my grading results, I can decide whether to sell by country or just sell the whole lot together (unless you have a better suggestion now before I get started). What I don't know is where to find pictures so I can at least try to get close to an accurate grade. Some countries only have one or two coins. Canada and Great Britain have the most. This would be a really nice starter collection for a new beginner, but I'd still like to know what's here.

Here are the countries represented (coins only unless noted): Austria, Australia, Canada (coin & paper), China, Colombia, Costa Rica (coin & paper), France, French Indochina, Germany (coin & paper), Great Britain, Hong Kong, India, Ireland, Italy (coin & paper), Japan (coin & paper....these were fun....thank you Creounity Time Machine!!), South Korea, Malaya and British Borneo, Mexico, Netherlands (coin & paper), Newfoundland, Panama, Peru, South Africa, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, North and South Vietnam (coin & paper).

Is there one book or website that shows pictures of each type from each country, with grading information? I have a feeling the answer is no, but it's definitely no until I ask. :sos:

Thank you!
Robin

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Grading and valuing world coins

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

I don't know of any sites that can help with all coins in all grades but I would use Heritage Coin Auctions and look through there world coin archived auctions. You can pick the country and the grade and see what it sold for. http://coins.ha.com/c/search-results.zx ... ory-071713

RobinMitchell
Coin Collector

#3 Unread post by RobinMitchell »

Awesome! Thanks Daniel! I've been on their site a few times but I didn't realize they had that feature. I'll check it out. Thanks!

regandon
Coin Expert

#4 Unread post by regandon »

What is the average date range ? If the coins are from the 1900's, then just grade them as you would a modern US coin. For the 16oo's to the mid. 18oo's you must have knowledge on how the minting process was during those times before even trying to grade those types of coins.
ANA member# R-3128774
WINS member# 774

Templar Knights Motto
NON NOBIS, DOMINE, NON NOBIS, SED TUD
NOMINI GLORIAM

RobinMitchell
Coin Collector

#5 Unread post by RobinMitchell »

Most are from the 1900s (early to late) but there a few from the late 1800s (Colombia, Germany, Great Britain, South Korea, and Vietnam) and a few cash coins from the late 1700s-early 1800s Vietnam.

regandon
Coin Expert

#6 Unread post by regandon »

RobinMitchell wrote:Most are from the 1900s (early to late) but there a few from the late 1800s (Colombia, Germany, Great Britain, South Korea, and Vietnam) and a few cash coins from the late 1700s-early 1800s Vietnam.
The German and British coins I could help you with if you are able to post a few photos.
ANA member# R-3128774
WINS member# 774

Templar Knights Motto
NOMINI GLORIAM

RobinMitchell
Coin Collector

#7 Unread post by RobinMitchell »

Wonderful! Thank you! These are the only German coins I have, plus one 100000 mark note (if you know these). Sorry the pics are so dark. The coins are dark and it was hard to get a good reflection for detail.

I'll post a few of the British ones tomorrow. That stack is 32 coins.
1876 10 pfennig 1.jpg
1876 10 pfennig 2.jpg
1918 5 pfennig 1.jpg
1918 5 pfennig 2.jpg
1941 5 pfennig 1.jpg
1941 5 pfennig 2.jpg
1950 1 pfennig 1.jpg
1950 1 pfennig 2.jpg
100000 mark note.jpg
100000 mark note 2.jpg

regandon
Coin Expert

#8 Unread post by regandon »

The 1876 10 Pfennig is a solid EF45
The 1918 5 Pfennig is VF
The 1941 you will not get much for, but it is AU55 with problems
The 1950 1 Pfennig is MS60 with what looks like rim nicks. Even in great shape you will not get much.

The paper money will not bring much in that condition.

Grading is very subjective, and the grades I feel these are is just my opinion.
ANA member# R-3128774
WINS member# 774

Templar Knights Motto
NOMINI GLORIAM