MEXICO 1739 8 REALES

Post, ask questions and discuss World and Ancient Coin topics.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Countryangel424
Coining Around

MEXICO 1739 8 REALES

#1 Unread post by Countryangel424 »

Hello today, My fiance and I run a Jewelry and Coin shop in Vernon Indiana. A friend and customer brought in this coin and was wanting to know if it is real. We are not experts in coins and usually only deal in American coins. I figure I would ask all of you if you think it is real. The one I found on eBay is selling for $799. This one and that one look just alike except the flowers on the one our friend has is much clearer and dont seem to spin like the ones on ebay. Please help us out as our friend would like to know if he has the real thing or not. Thank you
Attachments
DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: MEXICO 1739 8 REALES

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

It's cleaned and has some excessive rim damage so even if it is authentic then it's not going to $799, that's not the value for a 1739. What does it weigh? It should weigh 3.834g

cableman
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#3 Unread post by cableman »

Here's a similar coin with cert of authenticity going for $333.68. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mexico-1739-8-R ... 5b041c2926 Here's another dated 1741.Erery coin I looked at have the rim defects.Is this how they were made? http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1312287333 ... rid=229466 Here's a link to wiki and also shows the rim looking the same. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_dollar

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

These coins are in better condition and better grade, plus they different dates. I can't remember exactly but some dates were worth more than others. I do see that the rim does seem to have some shapes but the first one you posted has a damaged rim.

Another thing, buy it now is not what it's worth or selling for, we need to see completed auction listings.

There's one in this link and you have to scroll down. It sold for $295 and is wasn't cleaned.
Ebay Completed

Countryangel424
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by Countryangel424 »

noticed the rim as well, it is the same on all the ones listed on ebay. I do know that people will ask anything and should have looked at completed listings. We were not really looking for worth just if it is real or not. All the ones listed on ebay right now seem to be in much worse shape then this one, the flowers on the ebay ones look diffrent then the one our friend has. That was what was making me think it might be a reproduction. The flowers on our friends are very nice looking while the ones on ebay are flower blobs and not clearley formed. I will check out completed listings. :) Thanks for your help so far