Answer riddles to win a roll of Wheat Cents or two

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Steven_B
Coin Wizz

Re: Answer riddles to win a roll of Wheat Cents or two

#11 Unread post by Steven_B »

Thanks for another great contest and for a bit more knowledge....

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#12 Unread post by dipper13 »

Congrats to all winners. :yourock:

2centsal
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#13 Unread post by 2centsal »

:winnah: Great Contest Daniel and Congrat's to the Winners !

Like Daniel said, this site is all about learning thing we didn't know. Now I have seen and heard the Abbreviation PUP here and in the CPG ( CherryPickers' Guide ). I know it means Pick Up Point but what is the DEFINITION ?

I have a Error Book written by Alan Herbert that mentions just about every Error you can think of. It also explains the whole Minted process from Start to Finish . One thing it doesn't mention is this known fact that we all know now. So, Daniel where did you get that Information from and was this done for the sole purpose of making sure a Coin didn't have a Fake MM added ? The other thing is does anyone have a blown up image of the Mintmarks ? Also, how is a Mintmark saved ? I mean is it a separate Letter on a Hubbing tool or something and added to the Coin after it's been Struck ? I know there are a lot of questions here but I think the questions are vital to better understanding the Mintmark Process .
If this was done on these 4 Coins, why didn't they apply this secret to other Coins like the 1932S W. Quarter with another key date ? I mean this is a great secret to know. It's like forensics of a Bullet matching up to a particular Gun . :thumbsup:
Daniel, so what is the thing to look for on the D for the other two Coins ?
I'm sure over 90% of the people that Collect Coins don't know those secrets .
As far as the Buffalo Nickel Answer, I don't think I'll go there on how you found that out ? Or was this your observation ?
are there any European Coins like this ? :l :l

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Unread post by Daniel »

I have been involved in the coin business all my life and my grandpa used to quiz me and so did Alan Karns, who was a dealer in Westerville, Ohio. I just picked this up during my life in coins. It's stuff dealers talk about and should know. Here's a blow-up image of the mint mark that google doesn't think as relevant as another site that doesn't offer this important info http://coinauctionshelp.com/Lincoln%20Wheat%20Cent.html

Also PCGS wrote a book on the subjects called Official guide to Coin Grading And Counterfeit Detection which has all this information.

The D mint mark on these coins has an angular shape to the inside of the D, but it's best identified with experience. The Buffalo peeing is something I learned from Alan himself when I visited his coin shop, as a teenager.

Sal, it's all about experience and listening to people who know the facts. I am trying to add all of this to the website, but it takes time.

2centsal
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#15 Unread post by 2centsal »

You must be in a strange mood since you didn't respond to my Joke.
Anyway, would you say it's safe to say that buying these and other Key Dates is best to buy them Graded ? I know you can sometimes get deals buying them "raw" but with buying them Graded than at least your guaranteed that they are Genuine . I would pay a little more and get the Guarantee than take a chance.
Like I've told you and other's before, I also am a Metal Detectotist . You would be amazed at how many counterfeit coins are dug up all the time from the 1800's. Blacksmith's use to counterfeit coins all the time and they were so crude that they would literally fall apart after several years because they were made out of , I guess their version of " PotMetal" . I think there's a section Counterfeit Coins on that website I mentioned called The Coins of Colonial and Early America . http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ on another post.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#16 Unread post by Paul »

Sal, a "PUP" is literally a 'pick up point'. You use these as you quickly scan through the mountains of coins your searching. These are called 'die markers'. The number of 'pups' on a coins surface increases with the number of coins that exact die produces. Chips, scratches, cuds, clashes, so on....
These are ONLY USED to tell you to stop, & look more closely at the rest of the coin. They ARE NOT the variety itself. As you then continue to look at that coin, you need to first determine the 'die state', (how for 'into' the production run is that die pair marriage), then look up all the 'listed markers' for that specific variety/die stage, & determine if they match up EXACTLY.
I see bunches of Flying Eagle Cents with the 'BROKEN WING TIP PUP' being sold as, & buyers buying, as variety coins, when they ARE NOT A VARIETY. The 'broken wing' is a PICK UP POINT ONLY for a few varieties. There are ***17 additional obverse dies*** on the FE series that have a 'broken wing tip', THAT ARE NOT VARIETIES.
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

abcoin
Coin Collector

#17 Unread post by abcoin »

Question one minted in Sanfrancisc. Question two minted in Denver

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#18 Unread post by Daniel »

Contest has already ended, but thanks for entering a guess.

marks460

#19 Unread post by marks460 »

Thanks again Daniel for the contest-i learned alot of valuble info just from 3 differant questions and never would have guessed the 3 correct answers ,thanks again for making this fun and educational- widegrin

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#20 Unread post by Daniel »

You're welcome. And thanks for being a member of this forum and participating!