ENDED! 1995-S Civil War Commemorative Half Dollar

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

ENDED! 1995-S Civil War Commemorative Half Dollar

#1 Unread post by Daniel »

The contest has ended and you can cast your vote for the finalist here http://coinauctionshelp.com/TPGS_FORUM/ ... =19&t=7904

I am giving way this nice 1995-S Civil War Commemorative Clad Half Dollar Proof, plus many other proof sets. The 1995-S Half comes with original box and paper work as it came from the US Mint. I am running this contest differently. I want everyone to write why they like this coin and why they want to own it. I will choose 4 member's mini-essays that I think are the best, then I will post a pole forum for all members to vote.

Each contestant has two weeks from this date and time to write their reasons for liking this coin and why they want to own it before I start the pole thread. So don't be shy or reserved and share your true feelings about this coin. It doesn't matter how much you right, but your feelings or reflections are important.

Most importantly each person who enters this contest will recieve a mystery proof set gift. So everyone who enters will get a prize and everyone wins something.
Attachments
1995commemorative3.jpg
1995commemorative2.jpg
1995commemorative.jpg

theSharpGun

The Freedom We Have

#2 Unread post by theSharpGun »

The American Civil War was fought between 1861-1865. Hundreds of thousands of people died. And all of them died fighting for what they believed in, for freedom, and for America. Their sacrifice cannot and should not be forgotten. This coin was created for a purpose, to make sure we don't forget their sacrifice and to make sure that we don't take our freedom for granted. As for the design itself, the obverse depicts a lone drummer boy and the reverse a sole mortar in an empty field with the words, "ENRICHING OUR FUTURE BY PRESERVING THE PAST". The lone drummer is in my opinion an inspiration . He reminds me that even alone that you can be a powerful force and to never give up in what you believe. The reverse which depicts a mortar in an empty field is a somber scene. This scene is oblivious to the devastation, the battle, and the lives lost. The only reminder is the mortar, a symbol of lives lost. I live in Northern Virginia, so I have seen the battlefields of the civil war and the artist did a brilliant job to illustrate the fact that people don't seem to understand what happened at the battlefield 150 years ago. If I had the coin I would display the coin and show it to others, so that they are also reminded of the freedom that they take for granted. I adore this coin and would be proud to display it in my collection!
- theSharpGun

montie1977
Coining Around

Re: New Contest. 1995-S Civil War Commemorative Half Dollar

#3 Unread post by montie1977 »

The real reason I like these type of coins is that I don't have that one!!!!!

sidingguy
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#4 Unread post by sidingguy »

At one time in this country there was a double standard on how the economy would exist...Many people lived a lavish life style free of the burdens that would seem to plague so many of us...They owned huge estates, had many employees, produced and distributed products that the world either needed or desired...There was no shortage of workers and they made huge profits off their workers deeds with very little costs to themselves...
Things began to change as if the people started to learn and think...soon it became necessary to think of change...the problem became a divisive point and to settle this issue and many others, a line had to be drawn and thru force one point of view was victorious...This coin represents both the sacrifice and the choice that became what America should always be...The land of the free...I would proudly display this coin and hope that we never have to repeat the actions of that time...Lets hope our current political leaders wake up and remember what so many have fought for...

jbyers23
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by jbyers23 »

Why do I like the 1995 Civil War Battlefield Preservation commemorative coin? Well the answer is simple and printed directly onto the reverse of the coin. It reads, “Enriching our future by preserving the past” and that is what I try to do every single day. I am a senior at Illinois State University and too often I find myself informing my fellow classmates and family about forgotten history. I am not a history major, nor did I ever do any deep studies in the field or at least not that I knew of. However, every time I receive a coin I research what went on that year, what could the coin tell me if it could speak, and I always find at least on event or fact about that year that I did not previously know. I suppose through all these little research events I have learned about our American history and surprises and scares me how much history has been almost lost because in the words of a great philosopher, "Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it". This is why I proudly display the coins I have and every time someone asks about them I gladly share the history of the coin and era that it was made in. To summarize, I like this coin because it embraces my philosophy that history should and needs to be preserved for the benefit of the future.

I was also asked to answer the question, “Why do I want to own this coin?”. The answer to this question is not as straightforward as the latter, but I will do my best to provide an answer. Ever since I was a young child I collected coins. I was always so proud of my coins and I showed them to everyone. As I grew older we moved several times and my coins always stayed packed away. After my first semester at Illinois State University I moved into a small apartment and moved all of my things in, but my coins were no were to be found. This was nearly 3 years ago. I now believe that they were simply lost during one of our family “moves”. I have now made it my goal to not only recollect all my coins that were lost, but I have made also made a lifelong goal to try to collect every American coin ever made. It is a goal that is near impossible, but one that will keep me forever busy. As a full-time student, I am finding it financially hard to even collect wheat pennies, a collection that I use to have completed. I just recently celebrated completing my first wheat penny album (1941-1974). I am using a metal detector to find coins when I have free time from school and my two part time jobs. The reason I want to own this coin is because I would like to add it to my personal collection, not to ever be sold, but to be cherished forever. If my life long goal is to ever be completed this will put me one step closer.

jbyers23
Coining Around

#6 Unread post by jbyers23 »

Daniel wrote:I am giving way this nice 1995-S Civil War Commemorative Clad Half Dollar Proof, plus many other proof sets. The 1995-S Half comes with original box and paper work as it came from the US Mint. I am running this contest differently. I want everyone to write why they like this coin and why they want to own it. I will choose 4 member's mini-essays that I think are the best, then I will post a pole forum for all members to vote.

Each contestant has two weeks from this date and time to write their reasons for liking this coin and why they want to own it before I start the pole thread. So don't be shy or reserved and share your true feelings about this coin. It doesn't matter how much you right, but your feelings or reflections are important.

Most importantly each person who enters this contest will recieve a mystery proof set gift. So everyone who enters will get a prize and everyone wins something.
Thank you for this amazing contest!

shoeshine
Coining Around

#7 Unread post by shoeshine »

I like commemorative coins, especially when it has to do with American Serviemembers and Veterans. The American Civil War in particular, which pitted American against American. At the time, America had already proven itself as country with a formidable Armed Force. Many of the Army's leaders were West Point Graduates and brilliant tacticians, who were now facing their classmates and making decisions that would not only kill Americans but destroy the country as well. My favorite commemorative coin, The 1994 POW Museum uses a likeness of Andersonville, one of the most horrific chapters of the American Civil War on a list that is too long. Having these coins in the proof reflection to me holds the importance to the coins and coins that reflect this time in our history, and I'll continue to collect as many as possible.

jrkicc1
Coin Collector

#8 Unread post by jrkicc1 »

This 1995s civil war coin depicts the civil wars history on both the obverse and reverse. The canon shows that this was a costly war for both sides while the lone drummer shows the determination for freedom even at the price of canons and rifles. Although no one wanted this war we fought brother against brother to unite this nation and provide freedom not just for a minority of slave owners but for everyone, colored people especially. The coin depicts not only the battles but the cause for freedom and is a historic commemoration of an historic event in US history.

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#9 Unread post by dipper13 »

In the history of the United States, any event or time pales in comparison to the tragedy that was The Civil War. Brother versus brother,father versus son, all good Americans that perished to satisfy the need to end an era. Sure, slavery was at the root of this conflict, but the poor souls that fought and died for the Blue or the Gray were innocent pawns to who else, the business men and politicians of the time. The country was torn in two, and is yet healing from the carnage. To own a momento of such a tragedy would at least remind us to remain United and show us that such a time cannot or should not be repeated and that those who would pit brother versus brother should not be allowed to even suggest so wrong a solution to any problem.

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#10 Unread post by Maineman750 »

I like this coin because it is a reminder that true Americans will put their lives on the line for freedom. We are slowly losing those freedoms to an apathetic population that seems to care only about the freedoms they enjoy. Whether it's the right to marry whom we choose,own guns,smoke cigarettes, or eat fast food, if we don't stand together to protect everyones freedoms, we will all eventually lose what we cherish because we didn't consider our fellow man. I am one who thinks history will repeat itself because this has become the generation of "me".
Roger

coinman101
Coining Around

#11 Unread post by coinman101 »

Being a YN, I like this coin, because recently the people around me have been trash talking the government. I think this coins reverse really captures the publics attention on why the government is here. To protect our libertys. Not to limit them, and tear apart our contry. The way they try to remind us of the people who have died on the battle fireld for our freedooms really suports that. I like this coin, because the current generation really takes their libertys for granted. This coin reminds us we didnt always have immediate freedom. I want this coin as a real reminder of that!
-Taylor

azporkey
Coin Collector

#12 Unread post by azporkey »

I believe this coin tells us all to remember 9/11 more than anything. We became a whole nation after that war. A lot of that war forged what we beleive to this day. Let us not forget all the vets that still keeps this spirit alive . God bless this great country of ours. azporkey

pahwa
Coin Expert

#13 Unread post by pahwa »

"Enriching our Future by Preserving the Past"

I know this may sound rather strange but until now I had never seen one of these coins before. But I can sure see the draw it has to collectors. It is beautiful. I wish I had collected commemorative coins and was collecting when this came out. Why I would love to have it is that it would be a great start to a new collection. As I have stated before, I am a cent sort of guy but will keep any silver coin that I find that catches my interest or has some value to it. The sheer beauty of this coin is striking, and no one in their right mind would turn it down. It reminds us of an important part of our country's past and the struggles we've come through. I am moved by the message on the reverse of the coin, "Enriching our Future by Preserving the Past". I believe that we as coin collectors live by this statement. The reason I would like this coin is to start collecting works of art like this, and in my way share this bit of history with my children and their children's children.
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!

acan451
Coin Wizz

#14 Unread post by acan451 »

I am Canadian, and as such I was never taught of the horror's and sorrows of the Civil War.
I did however find this time in American history to be one of fascination and grief. A time of great generals and heroes on both sides. So many battles fought one on one, Skirmish lines drawn, one man against the other, each general trying to out flank the other in places like

Bull Run or Gettysburg. This was a time in U.S. history where families were forced to fight family, cousin against cousins even brother against brother, just because one lived in the North and one in the South, as a young boy I could never understand why.
This is why I want to win this coin, it reminds me of my innocence and wounder of being a child, of what happened in this war and why. The memory of reading

the Red Badge of Courage. From there I wanted to learn so much more about the civil war. So I read of battles where thousands died in one day, and all I kept thinking was these people were all Americans.
How could they do the kind of damage to each other when, as a boy I thought, could they not see what they were doing, why did they not just sit down and talk it out. Oh the beauty of being a child.

As I grew older and read more, I came to understand the meanings of what this war was about. I have studied history all my life but the civil war has always been the most intriguing of all wars, My Mom was quite the history buff and she talked about this war to me many times and also
listening to my mother tell me stories of living in Ireland in 1916, her fist memories of being a child the war that was being raging and of the diseases running rapid. Her baby sister dying from this disease. I will never ever forget the day I asked my Mother, why she told

me these incredible storeys of her youth but never talked about it with my older brothers and sisters. Her answer was so simple "Because you are the only one who ever asked", was her replay. This coin brings all those times flooding back to me, and my Mom and I talking for hours, and what she taught me.
By Alan Canavan
Take a look what's new in the world of samples slabs
http://samplecoinslabs.com/index.html/2 ... from-pcgs/

Coins573
Coin Collector

#15 Unread post by Coins573 »

I'd love to add this coin to my collection for several reasons. Firstly, I love the fact that it commerates the civil war. I have several veterans in my family or that are close friends and I am a military enthusiast even though I didn't serve. Another reason I'd like to own this is becase I dont have any military commerative coins in my collection and this coin would likely be the start of another binder to be filled. I also enjoy the beauty of the coin. The message the coin sends and the amazing artwork go hand in hand in my opinion. This is simply an amazing coin and I truely appreciate the opportunity to own this master piece.

Thanks for the great contest Daniel!
And good luck to everyone!
Follow me on [url=http://www.twitter.com/CoinCollectorDS]Twitter[/url] and learn how to get free coins

noomi
Coining Around

Re: ENDED! 1995-S Civil War Commemorative Half Dollar

#16 Unread post by noomi »

As I grew older and read more, I came to understand the meanings of what this war was about. I have studied history all my life but the civil war has always been the most intriguing of all wars, My Mom was quite the history buff and she talked about this war to me many times and also
listening to my mother tell me stories of living in Ireland in 1916, her fist memories of being a child the war that was being raging and of the diseases running rapid. Her baby sister dying from this disease. I will never ever forget the day I asked my Mother, why she told

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#17 Unread post by Daniel »

Thanks for your take on the Civil War and welcome to the forum! Although the contest has ended, sorry.

flayinglion
Coining Around

#18 Unread post by flayinglion »

The answer to this question is not as straightforward as the latter, but I will do my best to provide an answer. Ever since I was a young child I collected coins. I was always so proud of my coins and I showed them to everyone. As I grew older we moved several times and my coins always stayed packed away. After my first semester at Illinois State University I moved into a small apartment and moved all of my things in, but my coins were no were to be found. This was nearly 3 years ago. I now believe that they were simply lost during one of our family “moves”. I have now made it my goal to not only recollect all my coins that were lost, but I have made also made a lifelong goal to try to collect every American coin ever made. It is a goal that is near impossible, but one that will keep me forever busy. As a full-time student, I am finding it financially hard to even collect wheat pennies, a collection that I use to have completed. I just recently celebrated completing my first wheat penny album, I am using a metal detector to find coins when I have free time from school and my two part time jobs. The reason I want to own this coin is because I would like to add it to my personal collection, not to ever be sold, but to be cherished forever.
Flaying Lion Usman

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#19 Unread post by Daniel »

Welcome to the forum and a nice answer. However, this contest ended a while back. Sorry.