Basic Metal Detector Help

If you metal detect or just hunt for hidden treasures then post your stories and find here. Everyone enjoys a good lost treasure story or news find and they're welcome here as well.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
RubyMcKay
Coining Around

Basic Metal Detector Help

#1 Unread post by RubyMcKay »

I'm thinking about buying our first metal detector. I don't want to invest a huge amount into it, and used would be fine.

I'd like something small or stores small we can take to & from the beach (11 hour drive, family of 5). Something the kids can use too, and if they broke it I wouldn't flip out too much.

If y'all have any recommendations on a simple, small, inexpensive (if there is such a thing) basic detector for beginners - I would greatly appreciate your ideas!

Thanks!
Gina

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Basic Metal Detector Help

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

There's metal detectors of all prices so are you looking at under $300, $200 or even lower? If you just want something for the kids to mess with then you might go with an inexpensive version from Garrett, Whites or Bounty Hunter.

There's a Garrett Ace 250 at ebay that's less than $200 Here

Of course there's cheaper versions from every company so you just take your pick according to your budget.

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#3 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Ruby, I got a big box store detector special for Christmas a couple of years ago that was fine to start with. Usually light weight and I think it can be separated at the handle for space reasons and it won't break the bank ($99). It uses a couple of 9v batteries. It doesn't go very deep and doesn't work well (false readings) over salt water because of the minerals (thanks to 2centsal for that nugget). Pawn shops or flea markets might have some but usually no instructions/directions or some thing is "off" with them you wouldn't know about. Maybe ask for demonstration and tutorial from who ever you talk to. Get one that is comfortable and balanced because it will be in your hands for hours!!!!!! It may be hard to find one comfortable for adults and kids (shorter legs and arms) but they can contribute by learning to dig & turn dirt carefully when a signal is found. It certainly can occupy some daylight hours of fresh air! Good hunting to ya'll from a Florida Down Eastah!!!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

The Garrett Ace detectors, I have an Ace 350, are adjustable and light. The only thing that fatigues me is all the digging!

RubyMcKay
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by RubyMcKay »

Thanks! Daniel, I would like to stay under $200, but might be able to go to $250 if I include it with Christmas. $100 would be a great deal Pete so I'll watch those Christmas deals! We go to Panama City Beach every year & that's our vacation digging plan - thanks for the tip about looking in water.

There's a huge field all around our house that was farmed for years & is still used for cattle. We have a large garden section & every year when we turn it my Dad asks if we found "the wallet". My great-grandfather lost a wallet with several hundred dollars in it - probably 50 years ago when tilling in that section & it's a running joke - would be awesome if we actually found it!! I hope to find coins though - just because I know how many folks have worked the land back to the 1800s & maybe earlier. I've found arrow heads lol!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

It's exciting looking through fields and detecting, you can find coins and artifacts and it takes up a lot of time trying to not pass up everything that can be found. Would be nice if you could find the wallet, but the money might not be in such great shape, however a bank might still exchange it as long as you can see enough of each note.