1922 Peace $ Trying to figure Grade & Mint Mark

If you metal detect or just hunt for hidden treasures then post your stories and find here. Everyone enjoys a good lost treasure story or news find and they're welcome here as well.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
wtdixon11

1922 Peace $ Trying to figure Grade & Mint Mark

#1 Unread post by wtdixon11 »

I am new to coin collecting. I was sold this coin as it is marked on holder.

I take it that not all Peace $ have a mint mark.

It does seem to be a nice coin. Some of what looks like a scratch is actually the plastic. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

William

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1922 Peace $ Trying to figure Grade & Mint Mark

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

Welcome to the forum and thanks for asking your question. The mint mark on Peace Dollars is located on the back (reverse) under the word ONE. Since this Peace doesn't have a mint mark then it was minted at Philadelphia, and they didn't put mint marks on coin in 1922.

Also, the "scratch" appears to be a harmless die crack. I can't be sure from the pictures. I would also need better pics to help grade the coin. It looks at least MS64 from the pictures, but don't hold me to that. Again thanks for posting!

Here are two links on my website that can help you http://coinauctionshelp.com/Peace_Silver_Dollar.html

http://coinauctionshelp.com/Peace_Dolla ... Guide.html

zakota
Coin Wizz

#3 Unread post by zakota »

I do have a question on these Peace dollars. On the word Trust, why did they use a V instead of a U? Was it because of the tight space they had to work with? Or does any one know?
From beginning to end,
life is life, no matter how you look at it.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

All that I read about this, is that a V is a Roman Numeral and it was common in the 1920's to use Roman Numerials in place of certain letters. So it was nothing more than using V in place of a U in an "artistic sense".

I guess the modern counterpart would be words "Boyz" or "I (insert heart image) you" or "I luv you". It's the only thing I have ever found out about this.

wtdixon11

#5 Unread post by wtdixon11 »

Thanks for your welcome and help.

The only thing I see on the coin is some very light mint marks. That aren't showing up in the scan.

Thanks for the info on the mint. I looked all over, thinking I was missing something.

William

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

Your welcome, but I don't see a mint mark on the coin.

zakota
Coin Wizz

#7 Unread post by zakota »

So even on this coin the die crack would not devalue the coin much?
From beginning to end,

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Daniel »

A die crack doesn't devalue a coin. The only way the value of this coin could be lower is if the person looking at the coin either, thinks it a scratch or they feel it takes away from the eye appeal.

Many VAMs and early coin varieties will have die cracks and sometimes the cracks in the die can help with authentication. The 1914-D Lincoln Cent is a perfect, but only one example. The obverse, near the rim and under Lincoln's Chest there must be a die crack or it's not authentic.

zakota
Coin Wizz

#9 Unread post by zakota »

On every single 1914 D there has to have both these cracks. How did they accomplish that?
From beginning to end,

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Daniel »

No just one die crack. The mint struck only 1,193,000 1914-D Cents so they only used a couple of dies. However, many of the examples that survive today do have this die crack. I'm not saying or didn't mean to make it sound like ALL of them have to have this very same die crack, but it's one aspect of this Key Date to look for.

I goofed on how I said this one. It's more than just a die crack, and more about the shape of the mint mark. Also, the fact that most fake 1914-D cents are altered 1944-D cents, and the 1914-D will not have V.D.B. and the mint mark is more "boxy" than the 44-D.

For those who don't know, In 1909 most cents had v.d.b. on the back of the coin, and along the most lower part of the rim. These designer initials where removed until 1918, but they put then on the front, just under Lincoln's shoulder. So, an authentic 1914-D will not have any v.d.b., and while looking at the first 1 in the date and the area under the shoulder, make sure there's not rub or scratch marks in either area. If there is, then it might be an altered 1944-D.

zakota
Coin Wizz

#11 Unread post by zakota »

Yes I do know on some of the LMC's it is difficult to see the VDB with a 30x. I have some 58's that I still can not see the VDB. So I am not sure if it was a filled die or a mistake on the die. They may have been a few early coins. Then the die was corrected? BUt there is no VDB from what I can see even under my microscope.
From beginning to end,

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by Daniel »

No vdb is an error.

zakota
Coin Wizz

#13 Unread post by zakota »

I will have to find them. They were in a 10 pcack. They were in mint condition, IE, still brilliant red. I will have to see if I can get a shot of the area in a close up for others to make a comment.
From beginning to end,

Isaiah

#14 Unread post by Isaiah »

MS 93?

~Isaiah

EDIT: Nice typo, eh? :roll: I MEANT to say MS 63.

DIXIEROADIE
Coinasieur

#15 Unread post by DIXIEROADIE »

Your Peace dollar may be what is called a VAM go to VAMworld and check out the guide