buying a metal detecter ????????????

If you metal detect or just hunt for hidden treasures then post your stories and find here. Everyone enjoys a good lost treasure story or news find and they're welcome here as well.

Moderator: Daniel

Message
Author
User avatar
hparker619
Coin Wizz
Posts: 424
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 8:51 pm
Location: chattanooga ,tn
Contact:

buying a metal detecter ????????????

#1 Unread post by hparker619 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:18 am

i want to spend around $300 bucks & i've been looking on ebay at the garrett ace 250 is that a good one to buy ?

what i want to know is will it pick up on gold if i got lucky enough to find some underground ??????



User avatar
Daniel
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 11660
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:59 pm
Location: Ohio
Contact:

Re: buying a metal detecter ????????????

#2 Unread post by Daniel » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:03 am

I don't know of a metal detector that doesn't signal gold, but some are much better at it than others. I have done a little research on this and I am going to buy a White's Coin Master Pro. It appears that most of top line companies can get the job done so it's up to what features you desire and the Coin Master fits that bill for me. http://whiteselectronics.com/product.html

User avatar
hparker619
Coin Wizz
Posts: 424
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 8:51 pm
Location: chattanooga ,tn
Contact:

Re: buying a metal detecter ????????????

#3 Unread post by hparker619 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:59 pm

thank's Daniel i think i'm gonna buy the coin master pro also , i'm going to try and get it tomorrow ! we have a dealer about 20 miles from me so i'll drive up and get it



Daniel wrote:I don't know of a metal detector that doesn't signal gold, but some are much better at it than others. I have done a little research on this and I am going to buy a White's Coin Master Pro. It appears that most of top line companies can get the job done so it's up to what features you desire and the Coin Master fits that bill for me. http://whiteselectronics.com/product.html

User avatar
Nolifeking
Coin Expert
Posts: 1437
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:22 am
Location: Wisconsin

Re: buying a metal detecter ????????????

#4 Unread post by Nolifeking » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:14 pm

I have an expensive metal detector, but I have heard great things about the Coinmaster Pro. I think that it is a great detector and it will pick up just about anything. I really wish they would have had one like it when I first started detecting. My first detector was around that price range, but the coinmaster has WAY more features than that one. Technology has really come a long way. Gold is a lucky thing to come across. I've never found any and I've only found one ring and it was just a gold plated copper ring. Most of the gold plating had worn off from being in the ground. Just remember that when looking for gold rings you may have to dig TONS of pull tabs from pop cans. Gold will signal just like gold rings. For every couple thousands of those you dig you might find one ring :l

User avatar
hparker619
Coin Wizz
Posts: 424
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 8:51 pm
Location: chattanooga ,tn
Contact:

Re: buying a metal detecter ????????????

#5 Unread post by hparker619 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:18 am

we have alot of old schools from around 1800's here in chattanooga ,tennessee i cant wait until tomorrow i'll be at it all weekend starting friday ........ hoping to find some old coins ..........widegrin



Nolifeking wrote:I have an expensive metal detector, but I have heard great things about the Coinmaster Pro. I think that it is a great detector and it will pick up just about anything. I really wish they would have had one like it when I first started detecting. My first detector was around that price range, but the coinmaster has WAY more features than that one. Technology has really come a long way. Gold is a lucky thing to come across. I've never found any and I've only found one ring and it was just a gold plated copper ring. Most of the gold plating had worn off from being in the ground. Just remember that when looking for gold rings you may have to dig TONS of pull tabs from pop cans. Gold will signal just like gold rings. For every couple thousands of those you dig you might find one ring :l

User avatar
hparker619
Coin Wizz
Posts: 424
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 8:51 pm
Location: chattanooga ,tn
Contact:

Re: buying a metal detecter ????????????

#6 Unread post by hparker619 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:28 pm

i went ahead and bought the garrett 350 amin. ago i've not seen any reviews on it it yet but for $297.00 new with headphones i'll try it out

User avatar
Nolifeking
Coin Expert
Posts: 1437
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:22 am
Location: Wisconsin

Re: buying a metal detecter ????????????

#7 Unread post by Nolifeking » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:02 pm

Did you get it from here? Looks like a pretty decent deal.

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/garrett ... 4Aod3ETWxA

I personally enjoy whites and I think they give more bang for the buck, but every has their own brands.

User avatar
Daniel
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 11660
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:59 pm
Location: Ohio
Contact:

Re: buying a metal detecter ????????????

#8 Unread post by Daniel » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:06 pm

I should be getting a White's Coin Master, so nolife, will you be flying in to join me? I promise I will go this year widegrin

User avatar
hparker619
Coin Wizz
Posts: 424
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 8:51 pm
Location: chattanooga ,tn
Contact:

Re: buying a metal detecter ????????????

#9 Unread post by hparker619 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:36 am

yeah i'll fly in widegrin ..........mine might be here tomorrow i could have went got it but i hate going where it was ,only about 45 mins from me but he had free shipping ......

Daniel wrote:I should be getting a White's Coin Master, so nolife, will you be flying in to join me? I promise I will go this year widegrin

sidingguy
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:50 am
Contact:

Re: buying a metal detecter ????????????

#10 Unread post by sidingguy » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:56 pm

I've got a question: Can a metal detector still work with reliability through snow and ice? I just bought a metal detector on Black Friday...its a cheap one but worth trying out...but since then we have just had a winter storm and the temperatures dropped to remain below freezing and today below zero...so do I need to wait until Spring to use it or is it good to go now...

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests