My First MD hunt

If you metal detect or just hunt for hidden treasures then post your stories and find here. Everyone enjoys a good lost treasure story or news find and they're welcome here as well.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Coins573
Coin Collector

My First MD hunt

#1 Unread post by Coins573 »

This weekend I went on my first MD hunt and unfortunately I didn't find anything worth while. I'm using a Poineer 202 Bounty Hunter and man the thing is tricky. The first spot I hit was a place known locally as "The Sale Barn" where every Friday morning folks set up tables in sort of a yard sale fashion and sell anything you can think of. The terrian is very rocky and was almost impossible to dig in. I did manage to pull out a 1978 Dime that was oxidized to the point that all that remains is the copper core. Next I started hunting around in my back yard. Even though I haven't covered the whole back yard I did manage to find a 1988 Quarter and a 1966 Penny along with a whole heap of junk. So, I'm 36 cents richer (If that dime is even spendable) and I think i've got the hang of when to dig and when not to dig. Just thought I'd share my first MD hunting experience with you all. I'll be hunting more during the week and i'll post more if.. when I find something worth while.
Follow me on [url=http://www.twitter.com/CoinCollectorDS]Twitter[/url] and learn how to get free coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: My First MD hunt

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

I am glad you started hunting. I don't get the chance as much as I would like, but if I do get out this year then I will post my finds as well.

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#3 Unread post by Maineman750 »

Hey, you've found more change than I have....so far I have a horseshoe, some chain links,and some bullet cases.That is for three trips with some experienced MD'ers. Right now we have a foot of snow and frozen ground down a couple feet so I'll just sit here and wait for you to dig some stuff and show us . Good luck and get some pictures if you find anything valuable :thumbsup:
Roger

Nolifeking
Coin Expert

#4 Unread post by Nolifeking »

MDing is a great hobby. I'm in the same boat as you Maineman 2 feet of snow and frozen ground. If you even need any tips or have any questions just let me know Coins573. I've been Mding for almost 10 years and have gotten more into coin hunting the last few years with some pretty decent luck. I also started with a bounty hunter and there is nothing wrong with those cheaper metal detectors you just need to get use to them. If your finding coins with them then you are doing good so far. That seems to be half the problem when your first starting out.

Coins573
Coin Collector

#5 Unread post by Coins573 »

Thanks for the replies so far. I guess the only tips i can really use are "where in the world do I MD?" I'm out in a SMALL town in the bootheel of Missouri right next to the St. Francis River... there are TONS of woods around and this area was a "timber town" back in the late 1800's so I may find some interesting things out here in these woods. I know of a few small house/shed type buildings out in the woods but I have no idea how old they are. If the weather permits I'll be going out on a hunt first thing in the morning and checking these areas but after that i'll be all out of areas near me until i get my tax return and can get my car running again.. So any tips on places to MD would be helpful. Thanks in advance for tips :)
Follow me on [url=http://www.twitter.com/CoinCollectorDS]Twitter[/url] and learn how to get free coins

Nolifeking
Coin Expert

#6 Unread post by Nolifeking »

Sometimes your own yard can be a great place. Even if you live in a newer house doesn't mean that there wasn't an older house on that land and one time. You never know whats in the ground. The next tip would be to check out your library and see if they have any older maps/plat books. That will give you an idea of where older houses or buildings are. Parks are another good place especially if there are older ones. Check out some of the older post in this section. I believe we have covered some good areas in the past. Hope this helps and good luck!!

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#7 Unread post by Maineman750 »

Schools are usually good,picnic areas,sports fields (sidelines)under bleachers...and as NoLife said...check the local history for clues
Roger

Coins573
Coin Collector

#8 Unread post by Coins573 »

Thanks for the tips! I'll be making a stop at the local library here very soon and I know of a few baseball parks in a neighboring town that may prove a good hunt. I'll post my finds when I'm able to get out again and I'm waiting for a 40 X 25mm Illuminated Loupe Magnifying Glass in the mail so maybe i'll be able to get some good pics of coins posted with that. Thanks again for the tips!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by Daniel »

I hope you make some great finds. I will be waiting to see them. Also, neer overlook the base of large trees, it's not an easy dig, but people often sat or even buried cash coins in their shade.

Nolifeking
Coin Expert

#10 Unread post by Nolifeking »

Definitely post some of your sides. This part of the forum always dies this time of year since most of us can't get out metal detecting. Good Luck!!! :bouncing:

Coins573
Coin Collector

#11 Unread post by Coins573 »

Well i went back to sell barn today for a while and within an hour or so I found a state quater (Ohio) -With some colorful toning on it i'll post a pic tomorrow- 2 dimes (not old), and 6 pre 1982 pennies.. along with a key chain, a set of old truck keys (not on the keychain) and a small round trinket about the size of a quater that seems like it should clip on a shirt or something and hold a picture (All the junk was above ground just hidden by grass. It was truely a great experience and I think im honing my coin finding skills with my MD.. Tomorrow If the weather permits I'm going to a couple places where I suspect I may find some older "treasures". I'll post my finds to keep everyone on the edge of their sets until that next big hunt! :D

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#12 Unread post by Maineman750 »

I'm jealous already.....never found a coin but then I've been mostly hunting Gettysburg and surrounding areas for Civil War artifacts.
Roger

Donald52
Coin Collector

#13 Unread post by Donald52 »

What is a good price range(machine) for a beginner wanting to try MD? Thanks Don

Nolifeking
Coin Expert

#14 Unread post by Nolifeking »

Whites sells one for around $180 called the coinmaster I believe. There was another member that had one on here and found more coins last summer than I did. I swear by White's Detectors. I personally use a whites dfx. If you have the money they also make a coinmaster pro for closer to $250. I wouldn't go much lower than those for a price range on a decent detector. I started with a bounty hunter 2 when I was 12 and the unit costs me $300. The coinmaster has more bells and whistle than that unit for almost half the price. If you do get one let us know what you find! This is a great hobby.

Donald52
Coin Collector

#15 Unread post by Donald52 »

thanks NoLifeKing! I realize if you go cheap, you'll wind up cheap. Such is the way for most serious tools. I see shops in the neighborhood selling metal detectors, but never looked into them.
I will check into the Whites detectors. Thanks for the tip; I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks Again Don

azporkey
Coin Collector

#16 Unread post by azporkey »

First let me say to all you new swingers,do not give up. Started in 1992 & still love it. Had 4 detectors. 3 minelabs & 1 whites XLT. Explorer xs,minelab & Exclaibur waterproff also minelab. Sold my GPExtreme, also minelab All are good detectors. For new to this hobby the best to start with is a good ,simple, easyto use Whites 5900 or a 6000. Ask anyone who has one. E-Bay for around 3 or 4 hundred. Dam good machines. I like water hunting the most. That is where you find a lot of good stuff. My gold rings I found is 232. Hard to believe. The best water machine I think is Minelabs Excalibur. Deadly on gold rings. I also dive with my exclaibur. Thats how my gold ring count is high. Water is where it's at. Any busy swim beach is a good place to start. I live in Santa Cruz by the ocean so we detect year round. But the oldest coins I found is back east. Used to live in Washington Pa. In one day I Found my oldest coin (1806 half dollar) first large cent (1845) first IH penny could not see date. So do not give up, it only gets better & better. Hope this helps you new beginners.LOL azporkey Used to live in AZ. :patriot:

Coins573
Coin Collector

#17 Unread post by Coins573 »

So it's been awhile since i've given an update. Still using my BH202 last year 2011 i dug up a little over $5 in pocket change. I found 7 wheaties (1918 was the oldest) and a buffalo nickel 1927.

So far this year i've only dug a few cents (i haven't counted) and my first GOLD Find! It was an 8.5 gram 10K class ring from 1961. I sold it for scrap when gold was around $1650/oz and got $160. That is more than i paid for the detector!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#18 Unread post by Daniel »

:greatfind: Anytime you find gold hugeeyes

pahwa
Coin Expert

#19 Unread post by pahwa »

:greatfind:
Pahwa