Need some help on this 1859 Canadian cent

If you metal detect or just hunt for hidden treasures then post your stories and find here. Everyone enjoys a good lost treasure story or news find and they're welcome here as well.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
zakota
Coin Wizz

Need some help on this 1859 Canadian cent

#1 Unread post by zakota »

There is a funny coin I have. It has a 9 with a second tail. It seems maybe a 9/9 or even a 9/8? Not sure. There are marks on top of the 9 that looks as an 8? I messed up. there are two coins I posted in photo's. Only the right one is the double tailed 9. When viewing it through a loop there is also a line on the ball at the end of the nine. You can see the discoloration, There is a definate line as where an 8 would be? Maybe my imagination??
Last edited by zakota on Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From beginning to end,
life is life, no matter how you look at it.

Isaiah

Re: Need some help on this 1859 Canadian cent

#2 Unread post by Isaiah »

Welcome to the forum! You've had very intriguing questions on coin community forum, and I'm glad you chose to join here. Your coin is definitely an overdate. It is a scarce variety and it's very desirable! It could easily fetch $125-$250 when sold to the right buyer. Values are speculative, but, It's a rare variety nonetheless!

~Isaiah

zakota
Coin Wizz

#3 Unread post by zakota »

I do know a little about coins. My father collected coins all my life. I still to this day do not put change into my pocket till I have looked it over. It becomes a habit. The major point for me is where do I go from here? I have found the coin, figured out what it is, now what? Do I get it authenticated or graded or what? This part is new to me. Just like on the 76 quarter I had on the other site. How do they know it is a machine error and not a DD? From photo's it is hard to tell, I think? Thank you for the information.
From beginning to end,

Isaiah

#4 Unread post by Isaiah »

zakota wrote:I do know a little about coins. My father collected coins all my life. I still to this day do not put change into my pocket till I have looked it over. It becomes a habit. The major point for me is where do I go from here? I have found the coin, figured out what it is, now what? Do I get it authenticated or graded or what? This part is new to me. Just like on the 76 quarter I had on the other site. How do they know it is a machine error and not a DD? From photo's it is hard to tell, I think? Thank you for the information.
It is a good idea to have it graded by a reputable company, and you've come to the right place. There are MANY bad TPGS's out there, and, you need to be informed on them, before making your decision.

THE BEST

PCGS
NGC
ANACS
ICG
GGS
ICCS
SEGS
ACG

THE WORST

SGS
INB
GEC
AND ALL OTHERS.

I hope this helps, and if you would like more in depth information, please feel free to PM me at any time.

~Isaiah

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Daniel »

I would have it authenticated because the pictures make it appear corroded. I could be wrong, but the coin deserves a holder.

zakota
Coin Wizz

#6 Unread post by zakota »

I only wish I look like that at 150 years old. :D
From beginning to end,

Isaiah

#7 Unread post by Isaiah »

zakota wrote:I only wish I look like that at 150 years old. :D
Try telling that to the conspiracy theorists who say the world will end in 2012! :lol:

~Isaiah

zakota
Coin Wizz

#8 Unread post by zakota »

It will end when it ends, But I will have fun till then 8-)
From beginning to end,

Isaiah

#9 Unread post by Isaiah »

zakota wrote:It will end when it ends, But I will have fun till then 8-)
Me too!

~Isaiah

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Daniel »

Yeah, 2012. I know what we can do to make a fortune. We can make up our own grading company and hire a private mint to produce concept pattern 2012 Dooms Day Coins.

zakota
Coin Wizz

#11 Unread post by zakota »

We can call it the new error coin. :mrgreen:
From beginning to end,

regandon
Coin Expert

#12 Unread post by regandon »

TPGSadmin wrote:Yeah, 2012. I know what we can do to make a fortune. We can make up our own grading company and hire a private mint to produce concept pattern 2012 Dooms Day Coins.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
ANA member# R-3128774
WINS member# 774

Templar Knights Motto
NON NOBIS, DOMINE, NON NOBIS, SED TUD
NOMINI GLORIAM

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Unread post by Daniel »

Yes, and we could call our auctions pre-sale and if the world comes to an end you owe us nothing.

zakota
Coin Wizz

#14 Unread post by zakota »

Oh no! I am not going with out my money. :twisted:
From beginning to end,

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Unread post by Daniel »

It all depends on how we go out. We might have a better chance with out metal coins then with paper.

zakota
Coin Wizz

#16 Unread post by zakota »

I have more paper than coin. So that would work for me also :D
From beginning to end,

Isaiah

#17 Unread post by Isaiah »

TPGSadmin wrote:Yeah, 2012. I know what we can do to make a fortune. We can make up our own grading company and hire a private mint to produce concept pattern 2012 Dooms Day Coins.
I see an SGS success story. :D

~Isaiah