A few more finds

If you metal detect or just hunt for hidden treasures then post your stories and find here. Everyone enjoys a good lost treasure story or news find and they're welcome here as well.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Nolifeking
Coin Expert

A few more finds

#1 Unread post by Nolifeking »

I finally got some time to put these up. They came from a few different locations, but since I'm putting them all up at once I didn't see the point and making two different topics. The first set of photos I found in a park that used to be an old residential area. The people I hunted with didn't find anything significant so the dfx triumphs again :D These spot has been hunting pretty hard over the years. This is what I came up with minus a cheap ring that I'm having bent back into shape.

I have no idea what this is. It is completely flat on the back. The snake on the front is cast I think and very detailed. It is the size of a bucket which is the only guess I have as to what it might be.

This was one of my more exciting finds for the day. What I believe is part of a pocket watch. It has a very intricate design, but the best part didn't come until I got it home and cleaned it up. You probably wont be able to tell from the picture, but in the middle of it there are initials A.E. and then the date 1900.

Last but not least is my only old coin find for the day. A nice 1897 I.H.

These next finds came from a house built in the early 1900's in my home town. I worked the area really good today and in the past I've pulled a 1942s wheatie and a 1935 wheatie. Today I found these 3 coins as well as 85 cents in clad.

This first coin is some sort of a token although I can't find any information on it. It must have been issued by a small local grocery store or bar. I've talked to a few people in the area and nobody remembers the place. Judging from the coins I've found so far and it's depth I'd say it probably dates to the 1940's.

Not to far away from this token I pulled up a nice 1937 wheatie.

I even scored a little silver today. 1944D merc

I think this place is still going to have some nice potential considering I was running my super 12 coil and the yard is a little trashy in spots. I think after I get my 6" excellerator coil that I'll be ordering I'll give the yard another look.

This last item I found under a close line at an old house. It falls into that ever famous whatsit category. Let me know what you guys think. This item is completely rounded on the top with no designs. Pretty plain jane.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: A few more finds

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

Interesting finds! Thanks for posting them, you have come along very well on you photography skills.

The first object looks like an ornimental piece, that might have been on a door or hung on a wall??? If you even find out, let us know.

marc.durante
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#3 Unread post by marc.durante »

Cool finds again! Could the snake thing be some sort of ashtray? Head has that indent on top and maybe a cigarette was placed on it and ashed into that round bent thing?
ANA Member: BR-3153661

Nolifeking
Coin Expert

#4 Unread post by Nolifeking »

I'll definitely let you guys know what I find out. I had a guy tell me that the dished out part next to the snake might have held some sort of gemstone or porcelain at one time. The indent on the top of the snakes head isn't big enough to hold anything. I hope you guys like seeing all this stuff. What I'm really hoping is that one of these days Daniel will find some time to get out as well. :l It'd be nice if lots more people posted in this section.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Daniel »

I will get out and post my finds in the next couple months, I promise!

marc.durante
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#6 Unread post by marc.durante »

I love seeing your finds! Just did a quick search on Google for snake ash tray and this photo came up. Obviously not the same but maybe something along these lines ... the head wouldn't have to hold anything, cig could have just leaned on it and the indent stop it from rolling.

One day I'll actually learn how to use my metal detector.
Attachments
1_e1e89a724919a240c60812c45863e845.jpg
1_e1e89a724919a240c60812c45863e845.jpg (6.38 KiB) Viewed 5872 times
ANA Member: BR-3153661

SugarNik
Coining Around

A few more finds

#7 Unread post by SugarNik »

Incredible finds there DD
I have no clue of the value of those coins and artifacts but they are definitely eye-candy The designs and metal work are fascinating. The artwork on the old coins is very interesting, to say the least.
That was a great slideshow and very cool of the farmers for allowing you access to some spots.
Thanks for sharing that, loved it

pahwa
Coin Expert

#8 Unread post by pahwa »

Awesome finds there nolife. Looks like there is still a lot of goodies out there to be found. Congrats
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!

Nolifeking
Coin Expert

#9 Unread post by Nolifeking »

Thanks guys. There is still plenty out there and lots of places to go if you can obtain permission. I know I've read that there is more coinage in the ground lost then there is in circulation right now. I know guys that metal detect all summer and hit different parks and by summers end they have over $700 in just clad coinage.

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#10 Unread post by Maineman750 »

Some very cool stuff Mike !
Roger

okiemac
Coin Collector

#11 Unread post by okiemac »

Really cool. I got my detector out yesterday. Went around to some areas on the ranch. Guess what I found???? A real, live snake!! I'd sooooo rather have yours......

okiemac
Coin Collector

#12 Unread post by okiemac »

And I found this stuff... Nothing great and NO COINS! I'll keep looking.. It IS fun cause you never know what you'll dig up, huh?
Attachments
iphone pics 092.JPG

pahwa
Coin Expert

#13 Unread post by pahwa »

:cool:
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Unread post by Daniel »

It always interesting to dig up something and try to figure out what it is. Not better than coins but still fun.

Nolifeking
Coin Expert

#15 Unread post by Nolifeking »

Exactly. The fun is not knowing what you will find. Being younger myself most of what I did up I have no idea what it is. I have a great time taking stuff to show my grandpa. He usually knows what it is and it's fun to get a history lesson from him. Great job on the finds. The finds that are in this thread I found last year so I haven't even gotten a chance to really get out yet this spring.