A pic of a PicK

If you metal detect or just hunt for hidden treasures then post your stories and find here. Everyone enjoys a good lost treasure story or news find and they're welcome here as well.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
TCOYEN
Coin Wizz

A pic of a PicK

#1 Unread post by TCOYEN »

Here is a Pic of a Pick I made today..... :D
Attachments
PICK 1.JPG
Clad Counter2010
.01=684 .05=48 .10=160 .25=149 NA$=1 Ring=8

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: A pic of a PicK

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

Looks very dangerous :l

RHM22
Coin Expert

#3 Unread post by RHM22 »

It does look dangerous! Is that gold?

TCOYEN
Coin Wizz

#4 Unread post by TCOYEN »

not gold but that would be totaly awesome if it was. It is made from a brass rod so as that it won't scratch many other metals like a steel pick would.....
Clad Counter2010

RHM22
Coin Expert

#5 Unread post by RHM22 »

TCOYEN wrote:not gold but that would be totaly awesome if it was. It is made from a brass rod so as that it won't scratch many other metals like a steel pick would.....
I just noticed the size! :l That would be a lot of gold!

Nolifeking
Coin Expert

#6 Unread post by Nolifeking »

Just out of curiosity what did you make it out of exactly? I'm looking into making one myself and I was wondering if there is some cheap materials to make something like this out of. I found a new pinpointer I'm looking into getting and a coin probe maybe complete the deal.

TCOYEN
Coin Wizz

#7 Unread post by TCOYEN »

I used a piece of brass so as not to scratch my targets. You can buy brass rods from most any hardware store and thread one end to thread into a drawer pull. or most all of the older model toliet float arms were brass and I believe that they will thread into a drawer pull. now though float rods are just brass plated.
Clad Counter2010

Nolifeking
Coin Expert

#8 Unread post by Nolifeking »

Thanks for the info. I just ran into a snag up here with some of my local parks. Some of them are cracking down on metal detectors because of people doing a poor job in the past digging holes. They now don't allow digging holes in any of their parks, but I lucked out and they're allowing me to use a probe. Now I just need to get some practice in. I might try talking to the local police department to see what there stand on it is. The parks office told me I couldn't dig, but one thing that I've learned about police is that most of them could care less what you do in a park. If there is a rule against digging and no police officers enforce it then I may still be able to dig. Bureaucracy is funny that way :patriot: By the way about how much do you figure it cost you to build that probe? $10-$20?

TCOYEN
Coin Wizz

#9 Unread post by TCOYEN »

well Since I have everything I think almost every tool ever made All I had to buy was the brass rod and one rod cost about $4-5 from most any hardware store and since it is about three feet long you can make three or four different sizes out of it. The knobs I already had as well but knobs are not that much either maybe $3-4 If you want ornate ones you can find them at hobby lobby. I don't think making it yourself cost to much cause in the end it is brass, made the way you want it, and is has some class cause it was made by yourself.
Clad Counter2010

Nolifeking
Coin Expert

#10 Unread post by Nolifeking »

Well I made my probe today. It doesn't look too exciting. I just took and sawed the end of a broom handle off and drilled a hole in it and stuck the brass rod inside and cut it to length. I'd post a pic, but it's not worthy of that much attention :l I tried it out tonight, but I'm not too happy with its strength in prying up coins that are down too deep. The rod bends under to much leverage. I'm considering getting a cheap screwdriver and grinding the tip down. It would be a lot more sturdy and if I'm only finding clad I'm not too worried if I scratch the coin. I'm getting a new pinpointer that will hopefully make the probe a lot more useful. I'll have to put up a review after I get it and try it out :D