Very new at coin grading

If you metal detect or just hunt for hidden treasures then post your stories and find here. Everyone enjoys a good lost treasure story or news find and they're welcome here as well.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Nolifeking
Coin Expert

Very new at coin grading

#1 Unread post by Nolifeking »

Any chance you guys could take a look at these and tell me what you think the grades might be. Sorry if the pictures aren't very good, but I tried my best. To me these seem in really good condition unless they just look that way because they are cleaned. I really don't know what to look for on these newer cents. There is a story behind these, but I'll tell you guys after the grades. And if you can't tell these are three different coins although they are all 1974S. :D
Attachments
pic1.JPG
pic2.JPG
pic3.JPG

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Very new at coin grading

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

When grading MS Lincoln Cents look at the area just above the vdb, often there will be tiny, and copious amount of contact marks and little nicks. Another area is the head of hair, it often conceals contact marks, and it's important to turn the coin in different directions to see them.

IMO, the coins you posted appear to be in the MS64-65 range, and these appear to be nice coins, and I would keep them.

Nolifeking
Coin Expert

#3 Unread post by Nolifeking »

That's what I kind of figured. The strange part about these coins is that these are three of about 33 that look to be in just as nice of shape maybe a few even better. I was searching through just regular rolls of pennies last night looking for wheaties and I keep running into these guys. I haven't made it through all the rolls in the box of $25 and I've already found 33! I can't see it being a coincidence. Do you think somebody who collected gave up and just cash a bunch of these high grade coins in? Finding this many 1974s in ms condition seems a little odd doesn't it? This has happened to me before with 1961D and 1959D I think. I have those tucked away somewhere too I'll have to take them out and have you guys take a look.

Nolifeking
Coin Expert

#4 Unread post by Nolifeking »

Well after searching the rest of the box I found a grand total of 75 1974s pennies. 67 were very similar to the three coins above and the other 8 were similar as well, but had odd discoloring not comparable to toning. They looks like they were stained a funny brown in spots or had small areas of different color. The other 67 are amazing though! Any ideas how there got to be so many or what they might be worth if I stashed they away?

AnnaS1988
Coining Around

Very new at coin grading

#5 Unread post by AnnaS1988 »

Found an old 5 dollar gold coin in my garage. I am not a collector but am interested in the coin itself. It is very dirty so the pictures are not the best. I can upload more pictures if i have too. Thanks in advance.

smallyear1909.JPG

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

Welcome to the forum. Your image didn't make it, but glad to help when you post it. All you have to do, when posting, is scroll down to the browse, click the button, find the image on your computer, click it, then click the add file button. A box will pop up and wait a couple seconds for it to load then click submit. You might have to enter some text on it in the text field, but that will do it.

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#7 Unread post by dipper13 »

Hi Nolife, I think I know what happened. Acollector cherrypicked the best to get graded. I used to put my culls in the bank until copper went up . Now I save them, but the high grades of mine went to one of the grading companies. Dan

2centsal
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#8 Unread post by 2centsal »

Hey alot of people are when coins get into that Mint State category which is what I'm seeing .As far as the picture taking, it takes alot of practice. I post alot of dark coins found from Metal Detecting and you need good lighting. Another thing I do with smaller copper coins is use my Camera and loop together to get a better shot . I set my Kodak Easyshare model C182 on " Close -Up" pic taking and experiment by putting the Loop right up to the Camera lens and adjust between the two until I get it right. It works great when you want to center on just a small part of the coin showing a small error like the Nickel I posted on the Error Coin Category . It saves time editing and the picture comes in clear as you gain experience. This CT COPPER took me soo long to get a good picture, I almost gave up. You just have to keep playing around until you get the right look. A good editing program helps also. I just use the Kodak Easyshare one and Paint for re-sizing .
Attachments
CT COPPER - 1787 REV.jpg