Taking images through a plastic holder

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Taking images through a plastic holder

#11 Unread post by Daniel »

I do see what you're saying about the coin's details, but this makes it look more proof like than cleaned, at least to me. Publicly you should never hide the marks on a coin, if you plan on selling it. However, I do see some collectors who can't discern a scratch in the plastic verses a scratch on the coin.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by mhonzell »

To emphasize Daniels comment... "However, I do see some collectors who can't discern a scratch in the plastic verses a scratch on the coin."
Look at the photo below. Is the area between the '7' and '0' (date) on the coin or on the plastic? Maybe it's easy to tell because the photo is so large. But, I find the natural state of the coin can lead one to think the mark is on the coin. (Not one of my better coins.) Hmm... giving me an idea for a contest.

PS. My photo "rig" is a $26 USB Digital Microscope that sits perched on an empty CD case (100 pk) with a desktop magnifying glass/flourescent ring shining on the slab. I turn on the rooms incandescent light to restore the copper color to the coin which tends to disappear if I don't. I only mention this to show that for home use, you can go pretty cheap and still get good results.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Unread post by Daniel »

It looks like a holder scratch since it's lighter than it would be if it was on the coin. BU coins are more difficult to discern since they're white and so are the plastic scratches. What's the blob in between the 7 and the 0?

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Unread post by mhonzell »

That 'blob' is a holder scratch. But, it's copper-colored due to the incandescent lighting and back scatter. If the photo is reduced to "normal" eBay display size, it looks like a potential "cleaning" scratch on the coin. The type of scratch made with sharp pointy instruments. But, the coin is graded, so it couldn't possibly be that...

As you state, silver type coins present their own unique issues. Especially as the grade goes up.
I'm lousy at silver coin photos since my "setup" is for copper coins. But, here's an example on your comment:

It is difficult to tell by photo if the scratch in the lower right is on the coin or on the plastic, but it is on the plastic. The "smoke trails" in the upper left are actually a reflection on the plastic. The specks in the lower right are paper dust on the outside of the plastic. I don't envy those taking photos of silver coins.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Unread post by mhonzell »

Instead of trying to get around the scratches with photography, try prepping the slab:

This was from an article I printed out once and it works very well, but I don't use it much since I don't take high quality photos for my records.
===
Most scratches can be rubbed off of a slab with a little work. I use automobile rubbing compound (available at most auto supply stores). It’s a nice fine polishing agent intended to take hairlines off of car paint. I have found that it will take off scratches on plastic pretty well too. I have heard of using Brasso™ and plastic polish also. The shinier the slab, the less glare you’ll get on your images.

When polishing slabs you need to be careful of the direction in which you polish. Polishes will leave very fine hairlines on the plastic that will not
normally be visible when shooting images except when your light is at 90 degrees to the hairlines. I alleviate this problem by polishing in one direction.
If I want to light a coin from 10 and 2 o’clock, I will polish the slab from 6 to 12 o’clock (fig.9). Always polish toward the anticipated light source.
===
Hope you find this useful.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#16 Unread post by Daniel »

Yeah, thanks for posting. I would point out that there's a slab scratch remover I saw somewhere and since you posted this I remembered it. I never thought of using polishing compounds used on cars. I thought the grit would be too large. I do have some of the scratch out that feels smooth enough.

I found it at ebay and it's called slab renew. I am sure there's cheaper alternatives but this doesn't require any jeweler's rouge, and doesn't require a guess. It's an actual plastic polish.

Slab Renew at ebay

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#17 Unread post by mhonzell »

I use Kit Scratch Out. ( Plastic polish. ) Sold at Wal-mart for a whopping $3, at Ace Hardware for $5.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#18 Unread post by Daniel »

I think this should be bumped as a reminder to members and if anyone might want to add more tips.