1914 Chinese Fatman Silver Dollar,fake or real?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Bruce

1914 Chinese Fatman Silver Dollar,fake or real?

#1 Unread post by Bruce »

Hello,I got this Chinese Fatman 1914? Silver Dollar with almost a roll of average morgans about a month ago.Before I think about selling this coin on ebay can anyone tell if it is a real one or counterfeit?I noticed especially around the collar that it is not super sharp in the details.I did weigh it and it comes out at 26.1 Grams and the coin does not stick to a magnet.I have been burned lately by some bad Trade dollars so I am paranoid and very careful.Thankyou for any info,Bruce.user name rarepots on ebay.
Attachments
001.JPG

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1914 Chinese Fatman Silver Dollar,fake or real?

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

I looks fake to me. I sent off a couple I couldn't authentic to PCGS and they sent them back as questionable authenticity. So I would not offer it for sell, a very counterfeited coin. Check out silver-coins.org and ask the webmaster there. He knows more than I about the world coin fakes and would be glad to help.

2centsal
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#3 Unread post by 2centsal »

What so special about these Coins ? Are they rare ? As far as Trade Dollars go, I heard their one of the most Counterfeited Coins out there . You have to really know what to look for or buy one that's Graded .

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#4 Unread post by Paul »

Magnetic?
Weight?
Size?
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Daniel »

One thing about these coins is they're made to look circulated or damaged on purpose and it takes an experienced eye to see this. I am a silver dollar freak and run into these Chinese "dollars" and the dragon versions, and most our counterfeits, since most of them are very valuable. Also, I do a lot of searching and research and I have seen sellers using the same acrylic easel to display their coins. ioffer.com has a lot of these for sell, and I am willing to bet it's the same seller or a seller from the same country, or the same person sold them to a US seller who is listing them. Hard to know for sure on that.

Here's an image of an authentic China Kansu aka Fatman Dollar. The fake versions suffer from the same problems as any other fake silver dollar, incorrect die details.
Attachments
China_Kansu_authentic-horz.jpg

Bruce

#6 Unread post by Bruce »

Thankyou Daniel,you have been very,very helpful on my 2 coins I asked about yesterday.The Chinese Fatman Silver dollar I asked about was in a complete coin collection that I bought and everything else in it was great and I got some nice surprises when I started separating everything,thankyou again,Bruce,rarepots on ebay.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel »

I have bought collections before with all good coins, but had a couple fakes, so I know where you're coming from.

Paul

#8 Unread post by Paul »

Q?: Stack Pressure Transfer?
Attachments
STACKTRANS.JPG
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by Daniel »

PALH1 wrote:Q?: Stack Pressure Transfer?
I don't think it would be look reversed like this. I would say it's something that happened when they where striking the coin or an attempt to make it look more legit or a mint error. Many of these counterfeiters as slick, so they do things to these coins to distract you from what's wrong with the coin. This coin has a few things that are interesting and does take divert you attention to other matter about the coin.

Paul

#10 Unread post by Paul »

This was from the NGC 'real' one.
Unless it's some light 'eject'.
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Unread post by Daniel »

Duh, I didn't notice that. LOL Yeah, it could be from ejection. It's obviously another coin's denticles.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by mhonzell »

Interesting. I'd agree with you Paul, stack pressure transfer.
It's from the coin's reverse rim design, as it has larger middle denticles.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

jennie.partain
Coining Around

#13 Unread post by jennie.partain »

What is it worth and where can I sale mine

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Unread post by Daniel »

It has to be authenticated and graded to know the value. Do you have an image of your coin?