I think it's sad. PCGS MS70? Seriously!

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]

Is it MS70?

I agree.
20%
I disagree.
80%

Total votes: 5

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

I think it's sad. PCGS MS70? Seriously!

#1 Unread post by Daniel »

I know most PCGS certified coin collectors defend PCGS's honor with a lot of zealous behavior. I know they have a lot of money tied up in their PCGS coins and don't want to think, for a minute, that PCGS might have got it wrong or that they might market grade coins. Also, I know for a fact, that these same collectors wonder what ax a person has to grind when they speak against PCGS.

Well I have no proverbial ax to grind. I send my coins to PCGS and I don't hate the grading service. On the contrary I promote them more than any other grading service. However, wrong is wrong and when I see incorrectly graded coins then I am going to point it out. I started this website to help collectors and open areas of fraud, scams and knowledge to further the intellect of coin collecting.

Now, on to the main purpose of this topic.

I am daily pouring over online coin auctions and closely examining images, values, grades, etc. I often see blatant mis-graded coins and today I couldn't help but simply being in shock over this coin. It's a $25 Platinum Eagle certified and graded MS70 by PCGS.

As you know MS70 is the highest grade a coin can obtain. A 70 graded coin not supposed to be a perfect coin but it's not supposed to have any contact marks. Period.

In the images below I have used arrows to point out the marks on this coin, and that obviously goes against what an MS70 coin should look like. This particular coin sold on October 21, 2012 for the sum of $1,821.25. I provided an image of the slab so you can check out the certification number as well.

So I decided to make this topic a poll so you can vote on if you think this coin is MS70 or not.
Attachments
$25platinumbullionapppcgs70.jpg
$25platinumbullion.jpg

fwd
Coin Expert

Re: I think it's sad. PCGS MS70? Seriously!

#2 Unread post by fwd »

...i agree with you, daniel. NO 70! whistling2:

steve

pahwa
Coin Expert

#3 Unread post by pahwa »

It is a beautiful coin but it is not perfect. i don't think it deserves that top rating.
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

I ran upon this one by accident and not many participated so I thought I would resurrect this for old time sake.

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#5 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

A couple of questions come to mind and there really shouldn't be any with an MS70.
What is up with the rim by the last S in STATES? And the "trenching" where the field meets the rim below that point.
Looks like a number of carbon spots as well in the area around your red arrow.
Submitted by a large volume customer of PCGS?

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#6 Unread post by Paul »

D, i agree here, using these images of the coin.....

but i know I've mentioned this before.......
"A SLAB IS A HUNK OF PLASTIC USED TO ENCAPSULATE & PROTECT/PRESERVE A COIN. PERIOD"
:eureka:
this is why we have the phrase: "BUY THE COIN, NOT THE SLAB"
unfortunately,.... the 'masses' have been 'brainwashed' into the marketing scheme of "grading scale price GUIDES".....
....notice i said "GUIDES",..... these give you some 'idea' of the value, or,.....what's been reported as "SOLD" for that particular coin/grade/tpg !!

everyone has their own favorite TPG. mine happens to be NGC,....... ONLY DUE TO THE SLAB "DESIGN"

:eureka: :eureka: :eureka: :eureka: :eureka:
there are 5 reasons to encapsulate a coin.
MY PHILOSOPHY:
1. AUTHENTICITY.
2. PRESERVATION.
3. PROOF DESIGNATION.
4. VARIETY DESIGNATION.
5. SALES.
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by mhonzell »

Yep, I remember when I got an MS-70 for a 2005 dollar that has a die break on it. Obviously, from NGC, but same problem. Sometimes the TPG gets a large number of coins from one dealer and I think they just get sloppier as you get to coin 30+.
Attachments
2005-PF70UC.jpg
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Daniel »

I see so much of this over a years time that it gets ridiculous.

Paul

#9 Unread post by Paul »

mhonzell wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:23 am Yep, I remember when I got an MS-70 for a 2005 dollar that has a die break on it. Obviously, from NGC, but same problem. Sometimes the TPG gets a large number of coins from one dealer and I think they just get sloppier as you get to coin 30+.
hugeeyes "BLANKET GRADING ?" ..... :dunno
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep