Morgan Silver Dollar with No Date

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Trucom
Coining Around

Morgan Silver Dollar with No Date

#1 Unread post by Trucom »

I inheirited some Morgan silver dollara of which I found the value of all but one. It looks like a Morgan except the face is a little different (mostly flatter). It has the E Pluribus Unum across the top of the head but no other writing or date just stars all around the edge. On the back is the same eagle with "One Troy Ounce,.999 fine silver above its head between its wing span. It has the wreath at the bottom but again stars all around the edge with no other writing. I do not know much about coins but I thought maybe this was just sold for the silver as an ounce of silver and they used that for decorative purposes because its so popular. It couldn't really fool anyone with no date could it? I'm hoping you know if thats what it is or not. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Morgan Silver Dollar with No Date

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

Welcome to the forum and you posted a good question. You're correct that it's a decorative or art silver round. It's one troy ounce of silver and that were its value lies. However, people do collect them so they tend to sell above their melt value. I posted an image of one that I had and they're NOT released by the U.S. Mint.
Attachments
MorganDollarRound.jpg

kristi dimas
Coining Around

#3 Unread post by kristi dimas »

I have a coin exactly like this. What are the dates associated with them? Mine is very tarnished, should I leave it that way or clean it up? Even though it is so tarnished, everything is very clear to read. Is it worth passing down to children or just cash it in for its silver value? Thank you.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

These have been minted for years without dates and date of origin would not add value, several companies mint these and they can sell fro $17-$25. I would not clean the coin although you could use a silver dip but you risk changing the look and possible value, but it's not a real coin.

It is silver bullion and if you want to keep it back until silver rises that would be up to you, but they're not rare and will not increase greatly in value.

jenay
Coining Around

1773 virginia half penny

#5 Unread post by jenay »

Hi My name is Jenay I'm from Kansas I have a question hopefully someone knows the answer.
My great grandpa loved his coins recently passed. He always told me
the value of them is the detail, but I haven't seen any other half penny
1773 Virginia coin that has this symbol on it I'm curious what it means
towards the value and or the value of it period. Appreciate some help thanks
Attachments
1489912898332869327429.jpg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

This is a COPY and not the real thing and was minted by a private mint as a fantasy token or to be sold at a souvenir shop. It might be worth a couple dollars.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#7 Unread post by Paul »

Daniel wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:49 pm These have been minted for years without dates and date of origin would not add value, several companies mint these and they can sell fro $17-$25. I would not clean the coin although you could use a silver dip but you risk changing the look and possible value, but it's not a real coin.

It is silver bullion and if you want to keep it back until silver rises that would be up to you, but they're not rare and will not increase greatly in value.
👍
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Earle42 »

It might be a bit blurred on yours:
Click to enlarge.
Click to enlarge.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?