I wonder if they'll accept monopoly money?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Isaiah

I wonder if they'll accept monopoly money?

#1 Unread post by Isaiah »

Up for auction today by some fool out there on eBay, we have: "1844 Half Cent Electrotype V-1 FREE SHIPPING!!"
The catch? It's certified by NTC, and the guy wants $300 for an electrotype. What's your opinion? Doesn't this defeat the purpose of authentication? Image

http://cgi.ebay.com/1844-Half-Cent-Elec ... 1|294%3A50

~Isaiah

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: I wonder if they'll accept monopoly money?

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

Great find. I have never heard of this before, although I do know their are antique copies of certain coins that are worth some money. I don't know about this one. I guess if it's properly labeled then it's alright, but it's not worth $300. If it had a pedigree like the Bolen copies of the Elephant Colonial coins then it might be worth something.

Isaiah

#3 Unread post by Isaiah »

TPGSadmin wrote:Great find. I have never heard of this before, although I do know their are antique copies of certain coins that are worth some money. I don't know about this one. I guess if it's properly labeled then it's alright, but it's not worth $300. If it had a pedigree like the Bolen copies of the Elephant Colonial coins then it might be worth something.
I agree. I also do keep a stash of counterfeits here for the historical aspect. I just think that the purpose of certification should be to assure you of authenticity and grade. Not to label coins as counterfeits. I'd pay $50 for this one.

~Isaiah

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

I agree. I have a page on my site for counterfeits, have you checked it out? I have a few of my own. I just found an aluminum Standing Quarter in a collection, but it might be a test piece. I'm sending it to PCGS to be sure.

Isaiah

#5 Unread post by Isaiah »

TPGSadmin wrote:I agree. I have a page on my site for counterfeits, have you checked it out? I have a few of my own. I just found an aluminum Standing Quarter in a collection, but it might be a test piece. I'm sending it to PCGS to be sure.
That's very interesting. My aluminum history is a little faulty these days, but I know that a while back, aluminum was worth more than gold, but became nearly worthless after cheap refining methods. Do you know if in those days they had those refining methods? That might give us a clue. Most of the counterfeits are in lead. Please post a picture when you get the chance. My latest counterfeit is a 1928 walking liberty in lead. The lack of a mintmark would be enough to signal it's a fake, but the lead proves it. I bought it for $20. Good luck with the standing liberty quarter. What year is it?

~Isaiah

Isaiah

#6 Unread post by Isaiah »

In some ways I suppose that it's best that it's certified as an electrotype. I personally believe that if it hadn't then it would have sold as authentic for some serious money. It's a very good quality electrotype, compared to most.

~Isaiah

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel »

I wish all copies, counterfeits and fakes had to be certified by a reputable grading service before they where sold. Otherwise the seller would have to pay a fine.