Very frightning idea.

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Isaiah

Very frightning idea.

#1 Unread post by Isaiah »

The following was found on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/5-pk-SLAB-COIN-HOLD ... 240%3A1318

This is incredible! I understand that most uses of this holder will be legit, but just imagine the potential for new self slabbers. They can now get very professional looking holders, for a lower price than a coin world holder. I am sure that this idea will become a reality soon. Comments welcome.

~Isaiah

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Very frightning idea.

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

I guess it could be worse, the seller could offer to pre-label each slab for the buyer with grade, serial number, and any designation they wanted. Heck, it would be easier if they just pre-labeled them all MS or PF70 to save time.

I wonder if this is what SGS does? lol

Isaiah

#3 Unread post by Isaiah »

TPGSadmin wrote:I guess it could be worse, the seller could offer to pre-label each slab for the buyer with grade, serial number, and any designation they wanted. Heck, it would be easier if they just pre-labeled them all MS or PF70 to save time.

I wonder if this is what SGS does? lol

It would be possible. Maybe I should suggest this to aboncoN. I also apologize for the image of the crab taxidermy LOL! It was the next thing on the tabs at the top of the page. That was supposed to be a picture of the holder. Unfortunately, anybody with some ink, and a printer, and paper, and scissors can create their own TPG.

~Isaiah

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

Actually I thought you where thinking seafood or referring to the ebay auction as the stinking crabs. lol

Isaiah

#5 Unread post by Isaiah »

TPGSadmin wrote:Actually I thought you where thinking seafood or referring to the ebay auction as the stinking crabs. lol

Well, it does indeed stink crabs LOL. The potential for self slabbers is endless. I have dealt with this seller before, and bought a 1914 D nickel from them. It was a nice coin, and this seller is reputable. There is nothing wrong with selling, or buying attractive holders/slabs for your coins. It's just how some people would use the holders. I think that some people are willing to buy just about any coin in a slab. The more attractive the slab is, the more likely that a less educated buyer would want to buy it, thinking that their professionals. I really think that is why people should use your website before buying ANY coin from a lesser TPG (and then hopefully join this forum). Anyone can become their own grading services. I have seen coins from many companies (mostly on eBay) that were in coin world holders that were rattlers, and far too large for the coins with heavy marks, and thoroughly unattractive. They all made the MS 70 grade. I'm referring to PGS, but I'm sure there are others. I've often been criticized by fellow numismatists for using the AGC standards with the grading of my coins, but at least they've got a clue as to the grading. You know, just for our amusement, I think Star Grading Services should release the newest grading book entitled "Perfect- The guide to grading your coins using SGS standards" I'd buy it! I think I should send the good folks an email. In conclusion, don't buy questionable coins from dubious companies.

~Isaiah

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

I'm glad you feel the way you do and know what you know. I started my website to help coin collectors because I started selling coins on ebay in 2002, and when I began buying coins on ebay I realized how crooked some sellers could be, and if they weren't crooked then just ignorant of grading coins and identifying cleaned coins.

I received coins in the mail that where not what I thought, and I wanted to help prevent other collectors from doing the same, hence, coinauctionshelp.com. I guess the name implies another meaning than I intended, but it's to help people when it comes to coin auctions.

Now I have a blog and a forum for my website, and four years ago I didn't know the first thing about web design. Not only that, I have met some great people along the way, and Isaiah your one of them. Thanks. It helps to have your support and Alan from coinzip.com has been another big help.