1987 D Penny with a depression

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
pahwa
Coin Expert

1987 D Penny with a depression

#1 Unread post by pahwa »

This is a 1987 D with an odd depression. Is this a mint thing? The lettering in the word liberty tapers from thin on the first letters and the ending letters normal heights. I hope the pics shows enough details. Just curious if this is common or not and what causes things like this.
Attachments
1987 D penny with depressed obverse angle 2 5-2011.jpg
1987 D penny with depressed obverse reverse side.jpg
1987 D penny with depressed obverse.jpg
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!

Nolifeking
Coin Expert

Re: 1987 D Penny with a depression

#2 Unread post by Nolifeking »

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I always contributed that to a worn die or polishing. Not really worth anything though. Extreme ones are neat to find.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Daniel »

It could be or a defective planchet.

pahwa
Coin Expert

#4 Unread post by pahwa »

Either we got the worlds gripe of these coins or the mint had problems from 1985 though 1987. We have found a lot of these things in this last gripe of coin we got from the bank. I know I have seen them in the past before, but not this many or this bad. Sort of cool I guess.
Attachments
1985 with deep depressions.jpg
1986 with deep depression.jpg
1987 with deep depressions.jpg
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#5 Unread post by Maineman750 »

pahwa, you are correct in that there were a bunch of these in the 80's. I don't know exactly what the problem was but attribute it to poor quality control and a learning curve from changing to zinc. I also save any really nice zinc cents from the 80's as they really are not very common.
Roger

pahwa
Coin Expert

#6 Unread post by pahwa »

Thanks Roger. It seems from about 85 through 89 all had bad ones. I just couldn't believe how many we found in this last gripe from the bank. I may keep a few of these things that are in really good shape.

My son and I were looking though coins the other day when he came up saying that is it really weird to find one coin, like a 1963, that is bright, clean nearly uncirculated and the next coin is a 2010 that looks like is it flat out worn out and 100 years old. This is a very interesting hobby.
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#7 Unread post by Maineman750 »

pahwa,yes, it makes me sad to think how our cents look after just a year or two of circulation.For someone young, I think it will pay off to save all the nice zincoln cents as they will be hard to find in collectable condition. I am putting away rolls of BU zinc cents when I search ...I think one day somebody will be glad to discover these little goldmines :w
Roger

Nolifeking
Coin Expert

#8 Unread post by Nolifeking »

Your probably right maineman. I have saved a few myself mostly 2009's and 2010's, but I have a few nice ones from the 90's and 80's that have some spectacular toning that are in great shape.

hernandez.antonio
Coining Around

#9 Unread post by hernandez.antonio »

Hi have one

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#10 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

hernandez.antonio wrote:Hi have one
Welcome Antonio. A roll or really nice one from the 80's?

hernandez.antonio
Coining Around

#11 Unread post by hernandez.antonio »

I have many coins of 1 cent with depression intercanbiar someone is interested in ideas, have several where L also disappears

Sierragoose
Coining Around

#12 Unread post by Sierragoose »

I have a 1987 D penny that has a small 4 after WE. (WE 4) Is anyone familiar with this?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Unread post by Daniel »

We have to see images of the coins, thanks.