~ POSTED WHICH IS WHICH ~ General Knowledge Test

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
great1putt
Coinasieur

~ POSTED WHICH IS WHICH ~ General Knowledge Test

#1 Unread post by great1putt »

Test for fun...of the Wheaties shown in pic which is:
A) Cleaned with soap and water
B) Dye Rubbed
C) Untouched
D) Recolored (Dipped)
Start clockwise at top left corner (1955d) to 1957d, down to 1956d, then last 1957d.
Note: Of course, old members know you can click on the pic to open it larger then click again to magnify it to get a real good look at the coins, so this note is for new members.
Attachments
Lincoln4001.jpg
Last edited by great1putt on Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hiawatha
Coining Around

Re: General Knowledge Test

#2 Unread post by Hiawatha »

A, C,
B, D

Nice Test!!! When do the correct answers come out?

marc.durante
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#3 Unread post by marc.durante »

Good time to learn since I'm clueless when it comes to this ... but I'll give it a shot.

A, D
B, C
ANA Member: BR-3153661

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

B, A, D, C

I started with the 1955-D (B-Dye Rubbed [Not sure what that means]), 1957-D (Soap and Water), 2nd 1957-D (Untouched), 1956-D (re-colored).

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#5 Unread post by Maineman750 »

No clue...however, I think this is a great teaching/learning tool and would love to see more like this.Thanks
Roger

great1putt
Coinasieur

#6 Unread post by great1putt »

We did this at our local coin club.
(C) Top left 1955D is untouched.
(D) Top right 1957D is dipped. We put in a solution (I don't know what our club Prez used) then put out to air dry with rust scrapings off some metal patio furniture laid on top of it. It brought back a little patina leaving the mint color around letters and edges. We thought coins usually patina evenly for the most part but were able to show a hint of shine to suggest higher grade without giving away it was dipped. The scammers on Ebay have figured out how to take an Edsel and turn it into an appearance of a Cadillac. LOL
(B) Bottom right 1956D is Dye rubbed. We had noticed some Ebay coins had a funny coloration i.e., strange patina. We didn't think it was natural. The 1956 D is rubbed with gun blue paste and sure enough we were able to match what we saw a few of on Ebay. It brought out much more detail in the coin picture. The actual coin didn't have much though. We didn't clean the coin as much after bluing as some of the Ebayers do but you get the general idea.
(A) Bottom left 1957D is cleaned with soap and water. Made for mushy highlights of the detail of a coin. No variation much on the coin and darker than normal. This will be seen on Ebay a lot as bunches of people are selling who don't collect and they clean coins with soap and water thinking they are adding to the value.

I know...we have too much time on our hands :laughbounce but that is ok. We had a guy do a program on how to buy and sell safely on Ebay. This was done to show what to look out for. I just thought it was interesting.
Attachments
Lincoln4001.jpg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: ~ POSTED WHICH IS WHICH ~ General Knowledge Test

#7 Unread post by Daniel »

4 stikes! I was out yesterday :mad: I should no better, if they where silver coins I might have done better. I have done everything to copper pennies myself, as experiments, but still couldn't see which was which. However, I wouldn't have bid on any of these coins anyway.

Great post and thanks for posting :yourock:

marc.durante
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#8 Unread post by marc.durante »

I was way off!! more the reason to have posts like this :yourock:
ANA Member: BR-3153661

hparker619
Coin Wizz

#9 Unread post by hparker619 »

great1putt wrote:Test for fun...of the Wheaties shown in pic which is:
A) Cleaned with soap and water
B) Dye Rubbed
C) Untouched
D) Recolored (Dipped)
Start clockwise at top left corner (1955d) to 1957d, down to 1956d, then last 1957d.
Note: Of course, old members know you can click on the pic to open it larger then click again to magnify it to get a real good look at the coins, so this note is for new members.
i got a & c wrong !

coinbook
Coining Around

#10 Unread post by coinbook »

I thought for sure that the upper left coin was dipped. My coins used to turn out brighter looking but worn like that before I stopped dipping them years ago.
Alternative to eBay: [url]http://www.usacoinbook.com/[/url]

great1putt
Coinasieur

#11 Unread post by great1putt »

If you will notice the D item 1957D penny that was dipped...it has some bright color in the background around the rim and letters after dipping but then putting metal chips on top brought discoloration back to the penny but couldn't get back into the edges. That was kind of an evil trick on his part.