1959 Black beauty nickel?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Nolifeking
Coin Expert

1959 Black beauty nickel?

#1 Unread post by Nolifeking »

I'm not sure if this is an actually black beauty or not, but it somewhat looks like one.

marc.durante
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

Re: 1959 Black beauty nickel?

#2 Unread post by marc.durante »

I've found a bunch that look a lot like this but not from 1958 or 1959. Also find a lot of quarters black like this and believe it's probably some kind of PMD or dirty/rusted. From what I understand a true sintered planchet Nickel error should still have some shine/luster to it in addition to the grayish coloring. Guess a real one could get dulled or worn over time as well so not sure but since it looks so similar to the others I've come across not uniform across the entire surface I'd say PMD. My cousin found one were still not quite sure of but is in great condition and seems to fit, he posted it on here a while back ...

http://coinauctionshelp.com/TPGS_FORUM/ ... auty#p9026
ANA Member: BR-3153661

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Daniel »

This is one area of mint error collecting I need to research more, so I can't say much about this nickel.

Nolifeking
Coin Expert

#4 Unread post by Nolifeking »

Looks like another one to throw in my mystery box :l

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#5 Unread post by Maineman750 »

Well, how about these ? Sounds like they fit the criteria. Found both in my Pepsi machine one day and they didn't look tampered with so I saved them. Are they of any collector value or just cool ?
Attachments
DSC00421.JPG
DSC00422.JPG
Roger

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

If authenticated and attributed by PCGS or NGC they do have more value, but I can't be more specific.

marc.durante
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#7 Unread post by marc.durante »

Yes it seems getting it authenticated it the only way to know for sure with something like this. Understandably there are no accurate numbers as to the amount of them produced and it seems in the late 50's the Mint must have gotten lazy and stopped changing the cleaning solution making bunches of these. The one on the right in your photo looks identical to the one my cousin has.

To make things more difficult and annoying there seems to be several ways to make similar looking coins manually. Looks like there are a bunch of ways to electroplate them in different solutions and read some people for whatever reason do something called "bluing" which I had never heard of and seems is mainly used guns to coat and protect the underlying metal a black/gray look.

In general I'd say until officially authenticated it could be anything. I they can go for a few hundred dollars more or less depending on the condition but doubt anyone would buy one not slabbed/certified anyway....unless it for real cheap.

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#8 Unread post by Maineman750 »

Well, sounds like it's worth a shot getting one authenticated and if it comes back genuine, send in the other. Although my pics don't show it, they both have good luster and steps visible.(Took these pics in a hurry this morning just to post).As always, thanks for teaching me...it amazes me what you can learn on the internet....I think it's gonna be popular :w
Roger

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#9 Unread post by Maineman750 »

Update on the nickels I posted above. I sent one to ANACS and requested a variety attribution of sintered planchet.I recieved an email notifying me that it was graded as MS63, but no mention of the variety or problems. Does that seem possible ? I should recieve the actual coins shortly but it sure has me puzzled.
Roger

great1putt
Coinasieur

#10 Unread post by great1putt »

ANACS has done that to me also in the past. They email and give the grade but no variety and you don't know until it comes back. It will be interesting to see if they have the variety on the case. Let us know.

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#11 Unread post by Maineman750 »

Ok...got it back and it is graded as MS63 "Improper Alloy Mix". Does that mean this is a black beauty ?
Roger

marc.durante
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#12 Unread post by marc.durante »

Congrats on the error verification and grade! Also curious to know if sintered planchets are considered Improper Allow Mixes or if there are different?

Nolifeking
Coin Expert

#13 Unread post by Nolifeking »

My guess would be no just from the wording. From what I understand sintered planchet got heated to much. Improperly mixed alloys seems like what went into the planchet had a wrong mixture. Seems different to me anyway.

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#14 Unread post by Maineman750 »

Well, I did some research and found more confusing information.One guy said that PCGS called it a sintered planchet,ANACS called it Improper Alloy Mix, and NGC called it improper annealing. I wish there were some consistency on this one.Even when it comes to what causes it,there are several theories. However, I'm now inclined to believe this is a "black beauty" simply because it is black,lustrous,and isn't the result of tampering or environment.
Roger

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#15 Unread post by Maineman750 »

Here is another twist...but it may explain why ANACS called it improperly mixed:"I was at a show this weekend and showed it to Alan Herbert (author of the Official Price Guide to Error Coins) and he indicated that they've determined the reason for the black beauty's is that the ore mixture contained a high amount of silicon, which melted and darkened in the process. He indicated he couldn't determine if mine was authentic without a microscope which he didn't have available."
I copied that one from the Coin Talk forum.
Roger

Nolifeking
Coin Expert

#16 Unread post by Nolifeking »

Well back to my coin. Do you guys think that mine might be a black beauty now? :l

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#17 Unread post by Maineman750 »

Nolifeking wrote:Well back to my coin. Do you guys think that mine might be a black beauty now? :l
I think the only way to be sure is send it in to a reputable grading company...I'm going to send my second one in when I get a definite answer as to whether improperly mixed equates to black beauty....I finally sent the question directly to ANACS..still waiting
Roger

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#18 Unread post by Maineman750 »

Finally...I got my answer from ANACS.Yes the "Improperly Mixed Alloy" designation is a "Black Beauty". :bouncing:
Roger

Nolifeking
Coin Expert

#19 Unread post by Nolifeking »

So what does it cost to send coins in?

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#20 Unread post by Maineman750 »

Nolifeking wrote:So what does it cost to send coins in?
The price for the nickel was $20 including postage...I sent in 5 coins and total was $100 for everything....but they have specials too...I just got an email offering 5 coins for the price of 7 and saw an ad online for another special.
Roger

Nolifeking
Coin Expert

#21 Unread post by Nolifeking »

Maineman750 wrote:
Nolifeking wrote:So what does it cost to send coins in?
The price for the nickel was $20 including postage...I sent in 5 coins and total was $100 for everything....but they have specials too...I just got an email offering 5 coins for the price of 7 and saw an ad online for another special.
A little steep for me right now. I really should give it a shot though. I'm sure I can come up with 5 coins to send in. I've been really wanting to get my rotated die nickel sent in and my 1984 doubled ear penny.

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#22 Unread post by Maineman750 »

Unless you plan on selling, there really is no hurry to send them in, especially when you know what you have. I save mine until there is a special and I have the extra cash.But I forgot to mention,you can send just one...it may end up towards $25...depends on what you put as the value too as insurance isn't cheap.
Roger

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#23 Unread post by dipper13 »

I sent a roll of those to ANACS. All came back as Black Beauties, although some were black, some were like gunmetal gray or even lighter. All said "Improper Ally Mix" graded MS63 or MS64. When I asked why they said that, they stated that they and PCGS agreed that was why they are BLACK!!

Nolifeking
Coin Expert

#24 Unread post by Nolifeking »

I think I need to send mine in. I think I have enough coins now to send in quite a few. Just need to wait and save up some money so I can send in 5 at once.

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#25 Unread post by Maineman750 »

Nolifeking wrote:I think I need to send mine in. I think I have enough coins now to send in quite a few. Just need to wait and save up some money so I can send in 5 at once.
They run different specials quite a bit, so you'll just have to keep checking.
Roger

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#26 Unread post by dipper13 »

If you have coin collector friends, you can pool your coins and send them in together. When you can send in a large amount of coins, cost could be like 10 bucks a coin. I send them in economy and wait patiently the get them back. It takes time, but you cannot beat the price.If you guys are close together geographicly, you can pool you submissions.

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#27 Unread post by Maineman750 »

dipper13 wrote:If you have coin collector friends, you can pool your coins and send them in together. When you can send in a large amount of coins, cost could be like 10 bucks a coin. I send them in economy and wait patiently the get them back. It takes time, but you cannot beat the price.If you guys are close together geographicly, you can pool you submissions.
good idea, only I don't have any collector friends nearby...just joined a club though, and once I know who I'm dealing with,that is a great option.
Roger

Nolifeking
Coin Expert

#28 Unread post by Nolifeking »

dipper13 wrote:If you have coin collector friends, you can pool your coins and send them in together. When you can send in a large amount of coins, cost could be like 10 bucks a coin. I send them in economy and wait patiently the get them back. It takes time, but you cannot beat the price.If you guys are close together geographicly, you can pool you submissions.
I'll have to keep an eye out for deals. How many do you have to send in at once to get them done for only 10 bucks a coin?

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#29 Unread post by dipper13 »

I called the company when I found the black beauty nickels. I asked for someone who could help me with pricing. I was instructed to send the whole roll in under economy. when you send one type coin,same date etc they can do them more easily. I guess that because they did the whole roll, they charged me what they thought was fair. I was surprised, but I really liked the way they responded. I also earlier this year sent in 25 Presidential proof sets to be graded (69/70 only) They gave me that price but did all 100 coins, they all were pr 69 dCam or better! Dan

danni.wells
Coining Around

#30 Unread post by danni.wells »

I found a 1993 nickel that looks like it’s copper
Attachments
4E40B502-7828-4ABD-855A-B0E1379ED3E7.jpeg
49575947-12F1-4FC1-86D9-6D8EB66F516C.jpeg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#31 Unread post by Daniel »

This one is just toned and circulated. A black beauty you want uncirculated to have any extra value and sometimes it's difficult to get that attributed on the label.