1982d small date ?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

neil
Coin Collector

1982d small date ?

#1 Unread post by neil »

is this a small date or large date a lot damage to this coin, it is 3.1 grams
Attachments
S20191206_001.jpg

ave13co
Coin Collector

Re: 1982d small date ?

#2 Unread post by ave13co »

You might have something there. The 2 appears to have the proper shape. Top of the 8 is too damaged to tell. Looks like one for Paul.

BRODGERS
Coining Around

#3 Unread post by BRODGERS »

Yes it's a 82 am date but what does it weigh if it's 3.11g you have something and if it's only at 2.5grams you have a common 82 small date penny.. Regardless, it's definitely a 82 small date as the 2 curves at the hook indicating a sm date opposed to 2< being straight at the hook indicating a LG Date..I believe this info is correct, but very new still so definitely warrants a second opinion..ThxsBR

BRODGERS
Coining Around

#4 Unread post by BRODGERS »

Yes it's a 82 am date but what does it weigh if it's 3.11g you have something and if it's only at 2.5grams you have a common 82 small date penny.. Regardless, it's definitely a 82 small date as the 2 curves at the hook indicating a sm date opposed to 2< being straight at the hook indicating a LG Date..I believe this info is correct, but very new still so definitely warrants a second opinion..ThxsBR

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Daniel »

It must be a small date with a D and on a 3 grams planchet.

A damaged coin like this will NEVER get a small date label and I do not agree with is a small date. It looks like a large date. It's too easy for someone to damage a coin to try to make it look like a small date D on copper and this coin is a damaged small date. I've seen small date that where this damaged and that's how you can tell the difference.

DSCoins
Coin Wizz

#6 Unread post by DSCoins »

Daniel wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:26 am It must be a small date with a D and on a 3 grams planchet.

A damaged coin like this will NEVER get a small date label and I do not agree with is a small date. It looks like a large date. It's too easy for someone to damage a coin to try to make it look like a small date D on copper and this coin is a damaged small date. I've seen small date that where this damaged and that's how you can tell the difference.
:agree:

I have run across a lot of damaged 82's which I thought were small date, but when I compared it a known small date and a known large date 99.9% of the time it turned out to being a large date. Even with all the damage on yours. JMO

Thanks
DScoins
USN Retired/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)