Should this ASE be a MS70?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
budung
Coinasieur

Should this ASE be a MS70?

#1 Unread post by budung »

On November 18, 2917, I purchased two ASE. Since I had a little extra money I decided to get a MS70 First Strike 2016 ASE since it was a 30th anniversary issue. One coin was encapsulated by PCGS and the other by NGC. I was a proud owner of two coins when they arrived, just had a look see on them and then kept them. During the last long weekend of Thanks Giving break I decided to pull them out and really have a good look at them. The NGC coin looked normal ( I still have to thoroughly check it) but for the PCGS I noticed some toning issue. I decided to have a closer look using my mhonzell scope and here are the results aside from the tonning.
Obverse
2016 ASE OBV.jpg
Reverse
2016 ASE REV.JPG
Approximately at 8:00 o'clock of the obv a long gaping cut.
IMG_0097.JPG
Reverse chipped rim just above the lette S of State
Chipped Off Rim.JPG
Chipped Off Rim.JPG (51.71 KiB) Viewed 1084 times
Letters of the motto ed plu...
EP.JPG
EP.JPG (49.75 KiB) Viewed 1084 times
Three hairlines above Ounce
IMG_0056 (2).JPG
Die chips?? Above letter E of one
die Chip.JPG
die Chip.JPG (49.02 KiB) Viewed 1084 times
Machine doubling of the whole dateand IGWT
IMG_0104.JPG
I joined the Collectors Universe forum owned by PCGS and posted the above photos too. I got a some responses from some members but not a single comment came from PCGS. After reading so much cases like this I decided to keep the coin. I believe it will only be an exercise in futility to bring the matter up to PCGS.
But I think that all is not lost. I just recently saw this add at ebay:
"2012 S slab /W Mint NGC PF69 Proof NGC Mint Label ERROR Silver Eagle Dollar RARE | eBay
Up for sale is a 2012-S Eagle silver dollar that is NGC certified gem Proof 69 Ultra Cameo. This high grade coin has frosty U-Cam and deep shining mirror fields on both sides. Please enlarge photos to get a better look at the coin you will receive. You can't go wrong investing in high grade 1oz fine silver Eagle dollars. Don't miss out. Add this one to your own collection, before someone else beats you to it. | eBay!"

budung

budung
Coinasieur

Re: Should this ASE be a MS70?

#2 Unread post by budung »

Correction please. the hairlines are above the word Dollar.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#3 Unread post by Paul »

....... interesting ...... :dunno
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

Your PCGS coin should not be graded MS70.

Also, don't believe ebay descriptions either. Just because someone is selling a coin doesn't mean they know what they're doing, most do not know much about coins. What you have is strike doubling and it's not special in any way nor does it add value.

budung
Coinasieur

#5 Unread post by budung »

Yes, but I don't buy from ebay. The coin at ebay is selling at $104.99. At least I know there are buyers who buy this sort of coin if ever I decide to sell the coin (which I doubt).
Going back to my coin, in your opinion what should be the grade for this coin? Also, the fast toning that has occurred in just over 2 years!? Slabs are supposed to preserve them much longer. But I have learned that toning is not covered by a warranty from TPGs and once toning sets in on your MS70 it drastically lower the grades. Well, having said that means no more MS70s for me.
I will be going over my NGC MS70 and find what gives.

budung