Coin Collecting Tangents

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

Coin Collecting Tangents

#1 Unread post by mhonzell »

Yeah, I know... it's a coin collecting forum...

Well, over the years in my search for the next awesome coin, I've come across some oddball things that made me take a step back and just thought I'd share them with you:

If you remember, I found a picture frame in an antique store that had some 1893 World Exhibition tickets in it. I completed the decorative ticket set later on, but what you didn't know is that picture frame was sealed on the back with paper. To get the tickets out, I had to disassemble the frame. Inside, behind the matting paper, I found a souvenir card (paper front, cloth back... glued together with a clear "varnish") and the decoration was sewn onto the paper before gluing. I haven't been able to find anything on this.
Tickets:
a-vert.jpg
Souvenir card:
untitled-13.jpg
If you move up to 1908, you could take a voyage on the USS Lusitania. You might recall, this ship was sunk by a German U-boat, resulting in the US entering World War I:
Oh, and as a bonus... there's a Franklin 1 cent stamp on that card!
untitled-15-horz.jpg
On to 1933, the 50th anniversary of the Ringling Bros. circus. To celebrate, they made their own money, that you had to buy to gain entrance to the various shows. This was a recent purchase that resulted from seeing some of them for the first time on the Facebook auction page:
Technically, this one is money.
Ringling Bros 1933.jpg
Back to the future, 1955, we have a book on how to survive a Nuclear Attack! Remember the videos of kids ducking under their school desks? Or, how about how to build your own underground shelter to wait out the blast:
untitled-14.jpg

I also have an illustrated newspaper from April 29, 1865 with a hand-draw image of John Wilkes-Booth shooting Abraham Lincoln, or a 1st edition of Scientific American (it was more like a newspaper then.)

Just curious what trinkets you have kept along the way of collecting coins?
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: Coin Collecting Tangents

#2 Unread post by Paul »

very :cool: M,
i used to have a 'cigar box' of trinkets,.....
"where" that went,...... :confused:
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#3 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Also the Ringling Money was produced the same year as the controversial production of the 1933 Double Eagle ($20) St. Gaudens coins.
I'll have to see if I can locate my collection of Nails (metal).
Shipwreck, 1800's and ca. 1100ad from France

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by mhonzell »

PetesPockets55 wrote:I'll have to see if I can locate my collection of Nails (metal).
I'm glad you specified "metal". :l :l
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#5 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

mhonzell wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:06 pm
PetesPockets55 wrote:I'll have to see if I can locate my collection of Nails (metal).
I'm glad you specified "metal". :l :l
lol: lol: :l :l
It's funny because I have used "Nail" (I'm a carpenter) in some online cribbage sites in the past and one lady asked me if I was a cosmetologist!!!
I was a little confused at first because my first wife was a professional Cosmetologist that only did hair.
Then it dawned on me cosmetologists did nails also.
We both got a good laugh over my confusion.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

Very nice little find. I remember these. It appears someone preserved all these so might be unique as is.

RobinPritchard
Coining Around

Re: rotated die error.

#7 Unread post by RobinPritchard »

have 1989 linclon [p] with rotated die error,,, and a 1943 -p- Jefferson war nickel, also rotated die error.... cant seem to find any info on subject... thanx for the site,, rob

Paul

#8 Unread post by Paul »

can you post a few pics plz .......
on a "NEW THREAD" ......
whistling2:
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Barreiro
Coining Around

#9 Unread post by Barreiro »

Daniel wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:37 am Very nice little find. I remember these. It appears someone preserved all these so might be unique as is.
Do you mean unique as literally one of a kind, Daniel? That's an insanely lucky find in that case.
This thorough review of Quick Extender Pro explains everything you need to know.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Daniel »

It is a good find but I would rather find something that already has a market established.