Superb U.S. Coin Values Guide!

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
dd27
Coining Around

Superb U.S. Coin Values Guide!

#1 Unread post by dd27 »

Hey Daniel,

I found your website when I searched Google for 'realistic coin price guide'. A page on the older version of your site, Why Coin Price Guides Are Not (Always) Accurate, was #8 on that SERP.

I am very impressed that you have done it the right way--a way that no other coin price guide has done to date (at least for U.S. coin values)--namely, as you describe it: "Coin Help determined that it would be best to reflect the most current trend in coin values by using final auction bids, when available, from the last few months to the last couple years."

Because, as you said so well, "...a visit to a coin show or a look at completed eBay coin auctions, and you can see the difference in how much less a coin sells for when compared to most of the major price guides. Often it can be as much as 50% less than the price guide list value!"

Just glancing at some of the U.S. coin values on your site, I thought to myself, "Wow, this really is a realistic price guide!"

Here's a specific example which highlights the accuracy of your guide. I just finished listing a 1943-D Lincoln cent (graded MS-67 by NGC) on eBay. I used the eBay search engine to find final sales prices for the coin over the last three months. I wanted to determine a realistic auction Starting price and Buy It Now price since, as you discuss on your site, the standard price guides give such a distorted, unrealistic picture.
Retail price guide values for a 1943-D Steel Lincoln wheat cent in MS-67 are as follows:
CoinWorld = $120.00
PCGS = $150.00
NGC = $155.00
NumisMedia FMV = $162.50

The eBay average sales price for 1943-D Lincoln Wheat Cents graded MS-67 by NGC over the last three months is $109.42i

Geeknote
i. This average does not include Best offer accepted sales, since those sales prices are unknown. For the 16 recorded sales over the last 90 days:
range = $71.00 to $164.99
arithmetic mean = $109.42
geometric mean = $106.89
median = $99.99
standard deviation= $23.27
With a wide range of sales prices such as the above, the best statistical measure of central tendency is the median, which in this case is $99.99. And guess what your price guide says about a 1943-D LWC in MS-67? Not $120, or $150, or $162.50 (!), but ... $99.

Do you see why I'm so impressed? :thumbsup:

Thank you for this exceptionally helpful price guide. Folks like me, for whom coin collecting is mainly a hobby, no doubt appreciate your consumer-focused guide.

Best Regards,

Mark

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Superb U.S. Coin Values Guide!

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

Thank you for your assessment of my article.

dd27
Coining Around

#3 Unread post by dd27 »

I might be misinterpreting your wording, but I intended the post as high praise, not a mere 'assessment'.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

It's was my wording. I was thankful for your praise and how you assessed the article.

dd27
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by dd27 »

Cool - thank you for clarifying. Text-based communication certainly has its limitations, eh? ;^)

~ Mark

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

Yes, it does. Difficult to type how you talk and when you do then it just doesn't read correctly either.