A friend just brought some pennys 1859 and 1909 VDB and 1 s VDB she was wondering about

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
loserboy
Coining Around

A friend just brought some pennys 1859 and 1909 VDB and 1 s VDB she was wondering about

#1 Unread post by loserboy »

First is this 1859 penny here are pics
    br1.jpg
    be1a.jpg
    e pics next is these two 1909 VDB pennys here ar
    br2.jpg
    br2a.jpg
    br3.jpg
    br3a.jpg
    And here she has a 1909 s VDB penny
    1909s vdb.jpg
    1909svdbreverse.jpg

PetesPockets55
    Forum Supporter
    Forum Supporter

Re: A friend just brought some pennys 1859 and 1909 VDB and 1 s VDB she was wondering about

#2 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Welcome and thanks for posting images of the obverse and reverse of the coins. All three appear to be circulated with some damage or discoloration on them.
    Congratulations on the last one though because it would be the most valuable if authentic. I would say it is an extra fine- details (details meaning some serious dings, dents or damage which detracts from the value somewhat.) This is one you would want to send to an grading service to get the most value for it (they can determine if it is real).
    How did your friend come to own it?

loserboy
    Coining Around

Re: A friend just brought some pennys 1859 and 1909 VDB and 1 s VDB she was wondering about

#3 Unread post by loserboy »

I am sure she has had them for a long time. She seen me posting questions and decided to check on some of her coins. Oh and the answer to your question i do not know. Thank you for your time
    Last edited by loserboy on Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PetesPockets55
    Forum Supporter
    Forum Supporter

#4 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Does she collect them or were they given to her?
    This site has a page for coin values that you might find useful. In the upper right hand corner of this page. Her other coins have some value also to the right collector (maybe $5-$10), but the 1909s VDB is a sought after coin by any collector.

loserboy
    Coining Around

#5 Unread post by loserboy »

i will definately ask her and find out now thanks

loserboy
    Coining Around

#6 Unread post by loserboy »

Ok well she said she found a plastic grocery bag of what she thought looked like trash out in the desert in Adelanto Ca . In the bag are a lot of coins as well mostly wheat pennys as well as others . I would of never guessed myself but i do know she has a habit of going through fresh illegally dumped trash out in the desert. Wow Im pretty sure she will be trying to get it certified. My question is does it look counterfeit by chance? Im sure she will find out real soon

PetesPockets55
    Forum Supporter
    Forum Supporter

#7 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

There are many things the certification company will look at to determine whether it is authentic or not. People are trying to fool them all the time and with their reputation at stake they are real thorough. Good luck and thanks for sharing.

Daniel
    Administrator
    Administrator

#8 Unread post by Daniel »

The 1859 Indian Cent is worth $10, the 1909 VDB is worth around $5 in this grade (has a couple suspect marks on the reverse), the 1909-S VDB starts at $500 and goes up with a grade increase or the less wear it has.

Could you post more images of the date and mint mark on the 1909-S VDB? The S should have a little "dot" mark in the upper loop.

loserboy
    Coining Around

#9 Unread post by loserboy »

i would but they left with her. I am still in shock she found those

PetesPockets55
    Forum Supporter
    Forum Supporter

#10 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Interesting about the dot Daniel. To enlarge an image I hit the CTRL key and the + at the same time. When I do this 5-6 times with the image of the 1909sVDB it looks like a small dot in the upper loop of the MM. It could just be my tired peepers tho. lol:

loserboy
    Coining Around

#11 Unread post by loserboy »

I do appreciate how fast you responded ill be posting what coins i come across however they most likely wont be good like the ones she has thank you

Daniel
    Administrator
    Administrator

#12 Unread post by Daniel »

You're welcome and we're glad to help

mhonzell
    Administrator
    Administrator

#13 Unread post by mhonzell »

The 'S' has a slight tilt and is in the position that PCGS recognizes as Die #3.

Hard to tell, but I think there's a dot there in the upper loop of the 'S'. See top photo for comparison.

The lower serif on the 'S' looks tilted right, which would be incorrect. The two outer edges should be parallel to each other, or the lower slightly pointed outwards. But, it's not the best photo and the other indicators are good. Plus, there are a lot of contact marks in this area.

The middle crossbar on the 'B' in V.D.B is tilted correctly.

I'd call it a win and send it in!
    :winnah:
    Attachments
    x.jpg
    x.jpg (72.9 KiB) Viewed 1582 times
    1909s vdb.jpg
    1909s vdb.jpg (41.07 KiB) Viewed 1582 times
    Civil War Tokens
    Morgan Dollars
    Ancient Coins

Garrynaples
    Coining Around

#14 Unread post by Garrynaples »

https://www.pcgs.com/News/Counterfeit-V ... coln-Cents

Here are descriptions and photos of genuine mint marks and the genuine VDB. The OPs coin looks like the third mint mark position and correct mint mark usage.