Any major VAM collectors on here?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
planman2014
Coining Around

Any major VAM collectors on here?

#1 Unread post by planman2014 »

I am talking 1880-o VAM-6a MS 64 or a 1891-cc MS 64 Spitting Eagle caliber coins.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Any major VAM collectors on here?

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

Not many collect coins like this here, most are searching rolls and ebay for varieties in smaller denominations. Why do you ask? Do you need one or want to share or even sell one?

Garrynaples
Coining Around

#3 Unread post by Garrynaples »

The 1891-CC spitting eagle is a popular VAM variety and it is probably the most common variety of the date and mint mark. When I purchased my 1891-CC it was one of 5 my dealer had slabbed by PCGS and all were spitting eagles.

vamWorld lists an 1884-O VAM 6 which is a far date and a repunched mint mark. The do not list a 6A. A letter after the number, e.g. 6A, 6B, usually indicates some clashing or other surface anomaly, such as pitting, die scratches, clashes, etc.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

Yes, a,b, c etc. signifies another die state or stage and that's really die condition.

Garrynaples
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by Garrynaples »

My eyesight must be failing me. The OP referr d to 1880-O 6A, not 1884. The 1880-O 6A is identified by a short spike off the top of the second 8 that they say is the remnant of the top serif of the 7. Small O mintmark and some clashing. It's Not one of the more easily identifiable over dates In the 1880 series. There are better out there.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

There's a VAM-6 for all the dates and mint marks but maybe now I am confused. His question was on VAMS in general.

There is a 1880-0 VAM-6a http://www.vamworld.com/1880-O+VAM-6A