Early Copper Colonial(?) Identification

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
kfsea
Coining Around

Early Copper Colonial(?) Identification

#1 Unread post by kfsea »

Great site! Thought I came close to ID-ing a recent purchase with the help of your pictures of colonial coins, but none quite fit the bill. Can't tell if it's early US or British, French, Spanish, Portuguese or other.
I'm hoping I didn't pay too much for it. No pictures of the reverse yet, I wanted to identify it before I remove the pins. Any ideas what this coin is?
IMG_2065.PNG

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Early Copper Colonial(?) Identification

#2 Unread post by mhonzell »

It looks more Ancient Roman than anything else. Would need dimensions and weight since the legends are nearly off the edge, or the reverse. What is it mounted to?
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

kfsea
Coining Around

#3 Unread post by kfsea »

Interesting, that hadn't crossed my mind, perhaps you're right. Here are some more pictures from the auction listing that may help with the dimensions. Once I receive the coin I can take some better pictures. The only inscription on the bracelet(?) is "WOLF" and the number "8".
Attachments
IMG_2183.PNG
IMG_2184.PNG
IMG_2187.PNG

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#4 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Looks Hand forged. Also like there might be another number preceding the 8, possibly 0 (as in '08). Lettering reminds me of 20th century.
Made by someone named Wolf in '08?
Is the whole item wrist size or neck size?
And let us know the diameter of the "coin" when you receive it. Thanks

kfsea
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by kfsea »

Great info. I agree, it does look like another digit or character preceding the 8. The seller listed it as "bracelet", so I'm assuming they had a good indication that it was wrist-sized. Also, in the picture, it seems to be on top of the seller's knee, giving some relative size. I'll be sure to post dimensions of coin/token once received. Thanks for the feedback.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by mhonzell »

Besides the font, Wolf in the 1500s was "wulf" and in Latin, was "lupus". The stamp "Wolf" "8" is definitely modern making the bracelet modern.

My initial concern was that the coin was simply a reproduction. On the coins I have, legends tend to survive a bit better than the devices. On this, the detail of the bust is far better than the legends and the color is "off". It could simply be a bracelet made to look old.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

kfsea
Coining Around

#7 Unread post by kfsea »

That does make sense - the (brass?) pins mounting the coin to the metal band have quite a shine on them possibly indicating a recent production, or that they've been cleaned. If it has been cleaned, perhaps that has also given the coin an off color. Also, if authentic, and if it is actually a bracelet, then it does make sense the coin would have more wear around the rim/legends and less on the direct face/center of the coin where the bust is as it would have been taken out of circulation and wouldn't wear normally as other coins might. I would expect more wear to be around the edges as a person made contact with the environment.

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#8 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

mhonzell wrote:Besides the font, Wolf in the 1500s was "wulf" and in Latin, was "lupus". The stamp "Wolf" "8" is definitely modern making the bracelet modern.

My initial concern was that the coin was simply a reproduction. On the coins I have, legends tend to survive a bit better than the devices. On this, the detail of the bust is far better than the legends and the color is "off". It could simply be a bracelet made to look old.
That is what I was thinking also. But a very interesting hand hammered broad bracelet by the looks of it.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by Daniel »

It is crude and handmade and from the font looks turn of the century as in 1900, before or after. I would be interested in the origin. In my opinion that's not going to be an actual coin, it wold be large for a copper colonial, but would like to see some comparison to other coins when you get it. Thanks for sharing.

kfsea
Coining Around

#10 Unread post by kfsea »

I agree, it is an interesting piece. Finishing up some travel at the moment and will take new photos in a week once I have it in-hand. Thanks for the great feedback.

kfsea
Coining Around

#11 Unread post by kfsea »

I've got it in-hand now. Not sure what to make of it. Here are pictures that'll give the dimensions and comparison. I'm very tempted to take it off the band so I can see what's on the reverse. Does anyone have strong admonishments against doing that?
IMG_2609.JPG
IMG_2595.JPG
IMG_2596.JPG
IMG_2610.JPG
IMG_2616.JPG
IMG_2633.JPG

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by Daniel »

I wouldn't since I doubt there's going to be anything to help ID the piece. I think it is fine the way it is and now you own a little piece of mystery. I am sure there will be someone who can ID eventually.

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#13 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Daniel wrote:I wouldn't since I doubt there's going to be anything to help ID the piece. I think it is fine the way it is and now you own a little piece of mystery. I am sure there will be someone who can ID eventually.
I agree with Daniel and don't believe that it will answer anything but your curiosity.

kfsea
Coining Around

#14 Unread post by kfsea »

Great, thanks for the sound advice.