Waxed Coin Rolls At Ebay

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Waxed Coin Rolls At Ebay

#1 Unread post by Daniel »

Watch out for waxed coin rolls at ebay. Just another method of scamming people out of their money and making sure you don't return opened rolls when you find out you paid triple the retail for common and low grade coins.

You really need to read into the description to see this is a scam. If you read the description then you will see the seller claims to know way more about what's in the rolls then they should if these rolls are unsearched by him.

So they claimed to have opened a few rolls, all scam roll sellers make this claim and that reveals is there's nothing in the rolls worth selling individually. If there actually were any good coins in the rolls then the seller wouldn't sell them as unsearched.

Who rolls silver dimes into rolls of cents anyway? I can see a mistake every once in a while but no way did this seller buy 400 rolls with a silver dime inside each one. No way could he know that it MIGHT contain silver or any date or mint or coin type if the rolls are unsearched.

It is a scam to be avoided. If you don't agree or if you think this is offensive then let me say this; If I owned these rolls then I would not sell them as unsearched rolls for several times their value and imply that there could be good coins inside. As an ethical seller there's no justification for doing this except greed.

You can check them out for yourself and post comments on why you think this is a scam. You're even welcome to post why you think these auctions are legit. We want to hear both sides. wholesale-vault
Attachments
WaxRolls1.jpg
WaxRolls2.jpg

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

Re: Waxed Coin Rolls At Ebay

#2 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Was waxing rolls an accepted practice back in the day or something new? I've never seen them before. Having a date range on the rolls makes me think "coin shop".
I've had decent success in the past, but it depends on the sellers product. I started collecting in the late '60's but only with what I found in my change (which is probably how a lot of people get started).
I think that before the internet age, coin shops and dealers used penny, nickel, dime, etc. rolls with other "goodies" on the end or inside as an inducement for customers to come back to their shops or booths at shows? Different ends to picque the unique interest for individual collectors.
I have purchased rolls online in the past couple of years, and some have come from coin shops that are no longer around (coin shop name was printed on the roll). The seller stated they got them at an estate or going out of business sale. I found 3 cent silvers, early IH, FE, silver dimes (but no $2.50 gold), even a 1917 DDO in VF but 99% are regular circulated coins. The first purchase from any seller is a leap of faith but if seller has feedback, scrutinize it closely. hugeeyes
The following list may seem cynical but can help to filter out the "bad apple" sellers and/or coins. Protect your hard earned $$$.
1)Scrutinize seller feedback (their replies should be professional and not insulting!) Every one can make mistakes, sellers and buyers alike and communication is critical for both.
2)Assume that the seller only wants your $ (until you prove to yourself otherwise) and is not interested in honesty, integrity, ethics or coins.
3)Read descriptions for odd wording ("misprinted" coins, errors for obvious PMD, etc.) that are an indication of inexperience or down right fraud.
4)Study the sellers images and make sure they match the coins/rolls that you receive! (I have dropped "good" sellers that I got complacent with & then I realized their honesty fell by the wayside.)
5)Give accurate and honest feedback. It helps fellow buyers know that they are buying from an honest seller. (or not)
6)Look for repeat buyers in the sellers feedback. That usually can be a good sign.(Remember that sellers that only allow "Private Bidders" at auctions can be trying to hide the buyers ID and feedback. That may mean the sellers are counting on snookering inexperienced buyers!)
7)Send the seller a simple question about images or description and see how defensive, "unclear" or creative they get with their reply.
gotcoins: With that being said, do NOT expect them to be honest. Prove the value to yourself and do not get caught up in the auction frenzy.! :ebay:

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#3 Unread post by Paul »

in case you missed this related post:

:eureka:
POST LINK HERE
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

I never heard of waxing rolls before either. I think it's the seller's method of not getting refunds for rolls that get returned and to make buyers think the rolls haven't been touched by them.

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#5 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

PALH1 wrote:in case you missed this related post:

:eureka:
POST LINK HERE
I'm glad you revisited this thread with the link. I was hoping you would. Your info in the link is timeless and very helpful for everyone. Some of your other threads with communications back and forth with sellers were great examples of their confusion and intentions. Also there are "large volume" sellers out there who have the ability to sell hundreds of rolls at a time to other buyers who resell the rolls.

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#6 Unread post by dipper13 »

I may be the oldest guy on the forum. My grandfather started me collecting in 1957 with silver dollars that I still have. "Waxed rolls" is a new term, invented to fleece the collector. Isn't it a miracle that a great coin is on the end of these rolls. Do not fall for this folks, it is pure baloney.