Can proofs be rescued?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Mlandri
Coining Around

Can proofs be rescued?

#1 Unread post by Mlandri »

I'm helping my mother in law look through her late husband's coin collection. Sadly, the coins were not stored well. Among other items, she has two type-2 1981 United states proof set and one type-1. While the coins were never taken from their cases, all the coins are quite discolored. My guess is that these coins are lost causes but decided to ask. Can discolored coin values be restored?

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

Re: Can proofs be rescued?

#2 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Can you please post some images of the sets so we can help.
Toned coins appeal to some collectors.

Mlandri
Coining Around

#3 Unread post by Mlandri »

Mlandri
Coining Around

#4 Unread post by Mlandri »

Couldn't post picture directly but pic can be found at link above.

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#5 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

You're right about not being properly stored. How were you able to determine type 1 or 2 (let alone the date) with the plastic so fogged and damaged?

Mlandri
Coining Around

#6 Unread post by Mlandri »

Can't see all the coins well enough. However, the markings are clear enough on at least half the coins in each set. Also, having both types side by side makes it MUCH easier. ...also was using a loop!

Mlandri
Coining Around

#7 Unread post by Mlandri »

Makes me sad to see their condition. My father in law also had several sets of silver ingots and the such. All pretty sad shape. Only worth now is their silver content.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Daniel »

You can add an image just select attachment tab, add files, select images, click open then wait for the green bar to go all the way to the right.

Mlandri
Coining Around

#9 Unread post by Mlandri »

Cool
Is there a way to rescue these coins?
20160824_062202.jpg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Daniel »

You need to remove them from this holder and see how much is on the holder and the coin and to better see the coins. I have removed coins from these but it's a careful task.

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#11 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Mlandri wrote:Makes me sad to see their condition. My father in law also had several sets of silver ingots and the such. All pretty sad shape. Only worth now is their silver content.
Do you know if they were immersed in water to do so much damage?

Mlandri
Coining Around

#12 Unread post by Mlandri »

On close inspection, looks like grime. I don't see obvious corrosion. I've read that soaking coins in olive polis a safe way to remove the grime. True?
Attachments
image.jpeg

Mlandri
Coining Around

#13 Unread post by Mlandri »

...olive oil

Mlandri
Coining Around

#14 Unread post by Mlandri »

Hmm. Looks like grime not corrosion. I've read that soaking coins in olive oil is a safe way to remove grime. Is this true?

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#15 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

I've heard the same thing for encrusted or dirty coins but not for what ails your coins. If oil from finger prints can damage a BU coin imagine what olive oil can do! widegrin
Some people put coins in peroxide or acetone but different chemicals can affect copper or clad coins differently. Wait for others to weigh in. Someone here may have experience in what might be possible.

Mlandri
Coining Around

#16 Unread post by Mlandri »

@petespocket55: I don't believe that they were in water. Instead, they were stored in an old leaky garage for 20 years. Maybe equivalent in the end. That being said, the coins were in a sealed plastic case, so its also possible that the plastic case was degrading leading to coin discoloration. Perhaps I'm being too naive but I'm hoping that the discoloration is grime that can be removed.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#17 Unread post by mhonzell »

Olive oil is used on coins that are at least 450 years old and are encrusted in dirt.
Anything younger and the coin's surface will be affected because the "patina" isn't thick enough to handle it.

That said, when a coin is already damaged, then the oil is not likely to damage it more. Olive oil is fantastic to remove PVC residue. As to anything else, well, it's an experiment. But, the coins appear to currently be face value. (Unless some are silver, then they are melt value.)
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#18 Unread post by Daniel »

This is environmental damaged caused by hard water moisture, I am not sure how but looks like these were submerged in water for a while. It is a very similar look to a coin that has been in a cup holder of a car. Molecules are extremely small and this has corroded the surface of these coins and it's going to be difficult to "fix" them, IF they can be.

The coins are clad with copper and nickel and they are more difficult to restore than silver.

Mlandri
Coining Around

#19 Unread post by Mlandri »

Appreciate the info. Yeah, no reason to be optimistic based on this feedback which is what I anticipated. I'll try the olive oil for grins and giggles just to see what (if anything) happens. Thanks for sharing your expertise and experience!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#20 Unread post by Daniel »

I would try it since they're face value as is and you can make them worth less than face unless you deface them. No pun intended.

Mlandri
Coining Around

#21 Unread post by Mlandri »

Olive oil by itself, nothing. Olive oil + a little saltwater + electrolysis (D cell battery, a couple wires, and electrical tape), AMAZING! One of the pennies is almost completely clean. I don't think that the coins will ever get back to proof condition, but this was a really interesting/fun experiment.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#22 Unread post by mhonzell »

And that's where some of those funky "experiment" coins we talk about, come from.

While they look better, close inspection will always reveal that they have been "altered". In numismatic terms, they are "damaged".

Nothing wrong with that as they were already damaged. But, they should never be passed on to others as anything else.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#23 Unread post by Daniel »

The coins will always be a proof, since proof is not a condition but results from being struck my specially prepared dies and struck more than once. So you got cleaned proofs that I would like to see images of.

Mlandri
Coining Around

#24 Unread post by Mlandri »

@daniel: I'll give them an extra day. Once they're out, I'll post some pictures. I think that only the one penny referenced above will look presentable in the end. The other coins are looking much better but they will always be quite discolored.

@mhonzell: no plans to try selling these coins but appreciate the insight. Really, I'm just experimenting to determine how much these damaged coins can be rehabilitated.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#25 Unread post by mhonzell »

:l Guess you could classify them as "Shipwreck" coins. They've been immersed in water for a period of time and restored through electrolysis.
PS. Daniel said it best... they will always be "Proofs" as that was determined by the process used to strike them.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Mlandri
Coining Around

#26 Unread post by Mlandri »

See picture below. I set this up last night using olive oil and salt water. All that black goop and such came off of the coins.
Electrolysis
Electrolysis

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#27 Unread post by Daniel »

Looks like more than black goop came off widegrin

Mlandri
Coining Around

#28 Unread post by Mlandri »

As it turns out using aluminum for the cathode causes the aluminum to dissolve into a gray slurry.

Check out the results. I'm fairly confident that I bring these coin back to something resembling good condition if I continued working on them. However, it's not worth it I think. They'd be "cleaned" proofs.

image.jpeg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#29 Unread post by Daniel »

The only one that is worth restoring is the Susan B Anthony IF it is the Flat S mint mark variety, if this process hasn't mired the surface then it can safely be called restored and be sold.

Here's some images to compare your coins to viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7851&p=25842#p25842