Newbi, 1926 4 Rays Peace dollar

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Mendozaco
Coining Around

Newbi, 1926 4 Rays Peace dollar

#1 Unread post by Mendozaco »

New to the forum. Hope I don't make a fool with the first post.. lol:

I noticed 4 rays on the reverse of a 1926 peace dollar under the ONE. I searched all around the web and I can't find information about the 1926-P dollar with 4 Rays. All I found was the high relief 1922 Peace and the 1935 with 4 Rays. I jumped the gun and send the piece to NGC for certification.

The coins were part of a set I purchased in an estate sale here in Maryland. The lot included 5 coins. 1921, 1921D mercury dimes, 1888-0 Morgan and two Peace dollars 1922 and 1926. I purchased the lot because of the mercury dimes, but I was surprised when I researched the other three coins. Both the peace dollars had the following notes noted on the back of plastic sleeves "4r" and the Morgan has Xfc. Both the 1922 and 1926 have 4 rays under the ONE. I sent the Morgan to PCGS and received a surprise.
1888-O PCGS MS62+ VAM 1B Scarface
1888-O PCGS MS62+ VAM 1B Scarface
Does anyone have any information about the 4 Rays 1926 peace dollar?

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

Re: Newbi, 1926 4 Rays Peace dollar

#2 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Congratulations on the great pick at the estate sale. Even without knowing what you paid I would guess it turned out very well for you. That is some nice toning on "Ol' Scarface"! :thumbsup:
Sorry I can't help you with the "4 Rays" tho.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Daniel »

Nice find!

The 1926 Peace might be a new VAM since I don't know of any 4 ray versions of any date, not sure where you got your info. There's a 1926 short ray and there's a 1935 extra ray, but you will have to post the link to your research on the 4 ray coins.

I would stick to one website for VAM information and that's vamworld.com and here's the link http://www.vamworld.com/1926-P+VAMs

I also host a Morgan Dollar website and it has VAM values that mhonzell gratefully completed for me and here's the link http://morgandollar1.com/

Mendozaco
Coining Around

#4 Unread post by Mendozaco »

I will keep you posted with the NGC progress and post their pictures once they become available for this forum review.

How does a new VAM gets registered and acknowledged once the pictures are available? What are the steps?

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by mhonzell »

Daniel wrote:The 1926 Peace might be a new VAM since I don't know of any 4 ray versions of any date
I think he's talking about the difference between the reverse on a 1921 and 1922 as compared to the others.
The 1921 was originally designed to be "High Relief". It broke a lot of dies, quickly. In 1922, they lowered the pressure of the strike and made it "Medium Relief", but it still broke a lot of dies and started looking "mushy". In 1923, the reverse was redesigned to allow a lower strike pressure without completely losing all the details, this reduced the number of rays under the "ONE" to three. (There are other small differences... ie. look at the length of the rays above the eagle.)
1921 Reverse HR - 4 rays under ONE
1921 Reverse HR - 4 rays under ONE
1923 Reverse - 3 rays under ONE
1923 Reverse - 3 rays under ONE
A fourth ray under the "ONE" would imply a '21 or '22 reverse die. Unfortunately, it could be a lot of other things... die break, scratch, etc. We'd need that photo.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Mendozaco
Coining Around

#6 Unread post by Mendozaco »

I will post them as soon as NGC slabs the coins and provides pictures. Im too anxious about the photos and the forum fee back. Thanks for sharing.