2016 Coin Contest : Now Closed

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

2016 Coin Contest : Now Closed

#1 Unread post by mhonzell »

ANYONE can participate. You obviously have to sign-in to respond.
(Click on photos to enlarge image.)

I'd like to present this year's top prize:
2003 PFUC70.jpg
A NGC encapsulated, 2003 Kennedy Half Dollar, graded as Proof 70, Ultra Cameo.
This is yours by winning this contest, IF you are a CH Supporter. (Contact Daniel for details on becoming a CH Supporter.)

And, here is the backup prize:
1893 Columbian.jpg
An 1893 Columbian Exposition Commemorative Half Dollar. This coin is not encapsulated.
This is for those who are not CH Supporters, or CH Supporters who want it instead of the Kennedy.

Either way, you only win 50 cents. widegrin
===============================================================================================
How do you win your coin?
Prior to February 1st, 2016, you have to answer five questions.

In the past, I've asked you to post pictures to answer the questions. This year, I'm going to turn it around. I'll post the pictures and you answer the questions about the coin pictured.

The individual who gets the most questions correct, wins.
(Keep in mind, some of these are intentionally difficult to ensure only one winner.)
===============================================================================================
Coin 1 :
1979 Mint Error.jpg
1979 Mint Error.jpg (47.45 KiB) Viewed 3367 times
Question 1:
How did this mint error occur?

Coin 2 :
1995D.jpg
Question 2:
What type of error, if any, is exhibited by this coin?

Coin 3 :
One Cent.jpg
Question 3:
This coin was used as American money, but not made in America.
Who is the lady on the back of the coin representing?

Coin 4 :
D2A2.jpg
Question 4:
What year was this coin struck?

Coin 5 :
Civil War Token.jpg
Question 5:
Why does this token offer a premium for copper?
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

newlyCoind
Coining Around

Re: 2016 Coin Contest

#2 Unread post by newlyCoind »

1.bonded coins
2.die chip/break
3.Abigal Adams
4.30Ad
5.copper was a a form of trade and base trade and commerce value

Steven_B
Coin Wizz

#3 Unread post by Steven_B »

1.Fused together by the force/pressure of the strike.
2.Mis-Aligned obverse die.
3.Lady Liberty.
4.1717 (big guess)
5.Business information, amount to be received in trade for the token.

mikev50
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#4 Unread post by mikev50 »

1) coin fell into fillings after being minted 2) none that i can see 3) lady liberty 4)1000-1100 ad 5) minted during civil war when copper was scarce---

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by mhonzell »

:dunno I sent out thousands of notices (just ask Daniel... oops!) and have three responses.

Give it a shot... only one correct answer may be needed to win.
The coins provide all the clues! Just google them.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

jakeschro00
Coining Around

#6 Unread post by jakeschro00 »

1bonded coin
2 partial collar
3 lady liberty
4 1642
5 french bronze alloy that was created during a shortage of the production of the cent because of people hoarding pennies considered as a counterfeit penny

Thanks for the opportunity :yourock:

CopperFinger
Coin Wizz

#7 Unread post by CopperFinger »

#1 deep bonded capped die. #2 slight offset obv. rev, bay 2 partical colloum. #3 The goddess of liberty.#4 no clue. #5 copper valueable trade commodady?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Daniel »

Come on guys, let's show our appreciation for this contest and give your answers. Mhonzell put up his own coins for this contests so show him how much you appreciate it.

Thanks to those who have entered already!

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by mhonzell »

Coming down to the final hours!

Take a chance at this contest and win a pristine coin simply by answering a few questions.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#10 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Thanks again Mark for another great "contest"
( Apologies for the eleventh hour, but here it goes:)

Jan. 2016 coin contest answers-

1) 1979 Lincoln cent- Multiple die cap caused by the ejector apartatus failing to eject the previous coin before a new planchet is put into the coining chamber.

2) 1995D Lincoln cent- This was caused by a loose hammer die. It is not out of collar because the reverse is still centered properly.

3) 1783 Washington and Independance Medal/token Draped bust restrike- (Engrailled edge restrikes were produced around 1860 )-
The lady on the back represents Lady Liberty (As opposed to Britannia because it was made for use in the United States)
-Credit to University of Notre Dame, Department of Special Collections article by
by Louis Jordan-

4)Date of coin- (Lunar Hejira)- 1838

5)Trader and Commerce-Obv.
Coppers 20 Pr Ct Premium-
At the start of the civil war Copper nickel cents were only worth about half of face value and were discounted and despised by most up until the middle of 1862. Following withdrawal of silver coins from the public realm, because of the war and uncertainty, the penny was the only circulating legal tender until the introduction of Postage currency. The penny shortage became unbearable in the summer of 1862 because of hoarding of copper cents. An article in The Philadelphia Public Ledger, early March of 1863, said the cents were "universally" hoarded and said there was a 20 percent premium attached to the cents and this expression even showed up on some tokens of the period.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Unread post by mhonzell »

1. The error is know as a “Cluster coin” or "Bonded coin".
(See coin #5 in this auction)
This particular coin sold for $10,925.

Bonded coins are created when the feeder system, which supplies blank planchets to the coin press, malfunctions and jams. When this occurs, a struck coin is not properly ejected and another planchet is fed into the collar and is struck. This struck coin will land on top of the previously unejected strike. These coins will then crush and bond together. This may happen multiple times as more coins bond.

Note: The die is never capped during this event. Just more planchets rolling in to be smushed (Paul term) onto the the stack of planchets.

2. The error is known as a “MAD coin”.
MAD = Misaligned die
Note the rim on the obverse is missing on the left side of the coin, but is full on the reverse. The obverse die was misaligned at the time of strike making the obverse off-center while the reverse is correct.
(See the first quarter on this infamous site.)

3. Although dated 1783, the coin was most likely minted in 1820, in England, at the SOHO mint. (The coin shown is not a restrike.)
Lady Liberty was not standing until 1875. Instead, the figure typically used on an American coin was the goddess Columbia. (Columbia was a big deal in early America... even our capitol is built on land named after her.) But, this coin was not made in America. The figure for Great Britain was Britannia. As PetesPockets55 points out, you can read the coin's history (as we think we know it) at the University of Notre Dame website.

But here is a quote from that site:
"This figure was first used as Britannia on Soho company coinage of 1797. However in the present context with the liberty cap and the legend above her which reads "UNITED STATES" I suspect she is meant to represent Liberty." (Underlined bold is mine.)

You might see some similarity to the coin below made in England:
1797 Soho Reverse.jpg
4. Indian states: Kuchuwan (feudatory of Jodhpur)
In name of Shah Alam II (1759-1806)
1 Rupee
1203H.jpg
1203H.jpg (51.62 KiB) Viewed 11791 times
Dated: 1203H (Lunar Hejira), or 1789 AD [just below centre on obverse, left image]
Also: Year 31 (year of emperor's reign) [bottom of reverse, right image]
At first glance, the date is clearly 1203H (Lunar Hejira), and by the formula posted on CreoUnity : Date AD = Date LH – (Date LH / 33) + 622, you receive the 1789 date.
To cross-check this date, add the year 31 from the reverse of the coin to the year Shah Alam II took reign (1759+31=1790).
This makes sense because the Lunar Year is not 365 days and after 31 years would have lost 341 days, or almost one year.

5. Fuld die pair : 259/445a
I'll just quote PetesPockets55 here:
An article in The Philadelphia Public Ledger, early March of 1863, said the cents were "universally" hoarded and said there was a 20 percent premium attached to the cents and this expression even showed up on some tokens of the period.
Store owners would give a 20% discount on items if paid in true American coinage, which was actually copper-nickel, instead of the highly circulated tokens of the time.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by mhonzell »

I intentionally made these questions difficult, which resulted in both a direct answer and an explanation on many of the responses. The explanations frequently indicated some of the correct answer. On those, I gave "half" a point.

(All coins pictured were mine with exception to the bonded coin.)

I apologize for being picky, but it was my cointest.
If you stated "Lady Liberty", you were incorrect. If you stated "Goddess of Liberty", you were correct. Fine line? No, since Columbia was the "Goddess of Liberty" and "Lady Liberty" did not exist until 1875.

So, who won?

:winnah: CopperFinger :winnah:
by one-half of one point.
Congratulations!

You have won the: 1893 Columbian Exposition Commemorative Half Dollar.

(Please PM me your address and I'll send it out.)
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

CopperFinger
Coin Wizz

Re: 2016 Coin Contest : Now Closed

#13 Unread post by CopperFinger »

Ha thanks Monzell that was a nice surprise. My router has been screwed up for few days having to direct connect.I actually remembered seeing the coin with the Goddess of Liberty in my 1998 Redbook. Thanks again.

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#14 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

mhonzell wrote:I intentionally made these questions difficult, which resulted in both a direct answer and an explanation on many of the responses. The explanations frequently indicated some of the correct answer. On those, I gave "half" a point.

(All coins pictured were mine with exception to the bonded coin.)

I apologize for being picky, but it was my cointest.
If you stated "Lady Liberty", you were incorrect. If you stated "Goddess of Liberty", you were correct. Fine line? No, since Columbia was the "Goddess of Liberty" and "Lady Liberty" did not exist until 1875.

So, who won?

:winnah: CopperFinger :winnah:
by one-half of one point.
Congratulations!

You have won the: 1893 Columbian Exposition Commemorative Half Dollar.

(Please PM me your address and I'll send it out.)
CONGRATULATIONS Copperfinger. Way to go! :trophy:

Yes, some images were difficult to ID but extremely enjoyable adventure for those who ventured a guess. (And it helped if you could dredge up some memories of past posts with relevant information. :yourock: Mark

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Unread post by Daniel »

Congrats to copperfinger!

A big thanks to Mhonzell! I don't know what I'd do without his help.

CopperFinger
Coin Wizz

#16 Unread post by CopperFinger »

Hi Monzell, Wanted to say thanks again. Went to mailbox today and mailman was right on time. The coin is very nice.

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#17 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

I'm glad this post came up again. I forgot to ask this question. I had found conflicting information on the 1783 Washington and Independance and was wondering what is the correct answer. One site referred to it as a coin and another said medal. We can't tell if the strike is as a medal/token or a coin without having it in hand to flip it. But with there being no value minted on it, would it be considered a medal that was used as coinage? Thanks in advance.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#18 Unread post by Daniel »

It's actually a Post Colonial coin and would have been one cent because of it's size. Here's some more images http://coinauctionshelp.com/washingtonp ... s1783.html

It is not uncommon for Colonial era coins to not have a denomination.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#19 Unread post by mhonzell »

PetesPockets55 wrote:I had found conflicting information on the 1783 Washington and Independance and was wondering what is the correct answer. One site referred to it as a coin and another said medal. We can't tell if the strike is as a medal/token or a coin without having it in hand to flip it. But with there being no value minted on it, would it be considered a medal that was used as coinage? Thanks in advance.
Excellent question! I'll have to take a look when I get home as to the actual alignment, but remember...
This coin was not struck in the US, but in England, and England strikes their coins with a medallic alignment.

This may be the source of the confusion.
(You could also read about the other issues with this coin on this prior thread.)
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins