1893 Chicago World's Fair

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

1893 Chicago World's Fair

#1 Unread post by mhonzell »

(Not really currency, so I put this in the 3 dollar bill area.)

I walked through an antique store today attempting to find a vanity for my wife, but had no luck. Instead, on a shelf facing the wrong way, I saw a frame that had decorated paper backing, which usually means it is really old. I like old things, so I pulled it down and found four tickets to the 1893 Columbian Exposition. They wanted $90 and were willing to knock off 10% before I even called the owner. Something was telling me I found a bargain. I looked up one of the tickets, the George Washington and found that in Fair condition, it would garner about $45.

It now hangs on my wall.

Not having any expertise in grading paper, how would you grade these four tickets. (I only photographed the fronts. The backs are in as good, or better shape.) Each ticket is in archival plastic holders taped to a black board, inside a glass covered frame. Even the glass is old as it has a yellow tint to it and has become slightly etched over time. The photo is highly detailed if you blow it up for a good inspection.
Attachments
1893 Tickets.jpg
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: 1893 Chicago World's Fair

#2 Unread post by Paul »

VERY :cool: M,
sweet find.... :thumbsup:
it always happens when 'your not even looking'!

fantastic condition....
i hope, for your sake, that this makes a 'full set' of tickets issued for the event...

suggestion.....if you plan on keeping them in the 'frame on the wall', you have the glass replaced with "museum quality", the U.V. blocking type.....even for 'non-direct sunlight' locations....you don't want to loose any color here.
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Daniel »

Nice! They look crisp and new but have no idea on how to grade them; although a great deal on tickets in this condition.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by mhonzell »

Turns out there are a total of 10 tickets.

6 "Admit the Bearer" tickets with engraved photos, of which I have four.
(I am missing the Columbus ticket and the Handel ticket. Guess I'll have to go shopping.)

1 Child pass
1 "Day of Sale" pass
2 Special events: Chicago Day & Manhattan Day

Here is what a full set looks like:
1893 Tickets.jpg
:eureka: From a coin collector's standpoint, this may be the time to start looking at the Columbian half dollar and the Isabella quarter.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Daniel »

:greatfind: Wow. What a great find!!

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by mhonzell »

I think you misunderstood, Daniel. I only have the four in the original post. The other photo is just showing what a "full set" would be composed of.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel »

Obviously it's going to be about condition but this is what they're going for at ebay 1893 World's Fair Tickets

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by mhonzell »

Like any treasure we find, it is always exciting to know what they are worth, but as usual, I am more into keeping things. They look really good to me and have a rich history of when America was booming with ideas. The bonus is that I "found" them hidden on a shelf, forgotten, and got to bring them back to life.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#9 Unread post by dipper13 »

I would be thrilled to find one in that condition. I got excited to find a lucky Lindy token in a shop. This find you got is rare and most were destroyed when used. Great stuff!!

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by mhonzell »

Just acquired the last two souvenir "season" tickets.
I'll find the one day tickets someday widegrin

I've ditched the old frame and glass. Now, they are in UV protected sleeves and in a new frame.
Attachments
1893 Columbian Exposition.jpg
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#11 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Nice to see this revisited on a good note. Congratulations on finding the last two in really nice shape. Your patience paid off.