coins worth keeping

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
marlenaprpl
Coining Around

coins worth keeping

#1 Unread post by marlenaprpl »

I have been looking up on the internet to see if certain coins with mint errors are actually worth keeping even in bad condtion and I cant find a good answer. Can anyone on here try and explain this to me because I have been holding onto tons of coins that have good mint errors or others but some are in bad condtion and some not so bad condtion. Does it even matter if some are rare and/or worth a lot of money in good condtion? I collect all coins by making sets ,keeping errors, low mintage ect. Coins that are lets say 100 years old and extremely rare to find that even in somewhat bad condtion some people are willing to pay $1000's for and some that are pretty new, rare with big time mint errors with maybe a tiny scratch not worth anything. I have looked up sites about series of coins that are worth the most like top 50 pennies ect. But most only give prices of best condtion not best and worst condtion comparison prices or if different conditions matters like a scratch , stain or smudges ect. How do I tell what's what without looking up every individual coin with different condtions per coin?

marlenaprpl
Coining Around

Re: coins worth keeping

#2 Unread post by marlenaprpl »

Here is some that's not worth much of anything that I have found but have mint errors with bad or good condtion. The Utah quarter has die chips in his hair and in a bunch of letters front and back and other errors on his neck line and hair at the end but not in the best condition. The 2015 nebraska quarter is in excellent condition but has weird error above house.
Attachments
Screenshot_2015-10-11-11-16-01.png
Screenshot_2015-10-11-11-15-50.png
20151011_104357.jpg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: coins worth keeping

#3 Unread post by Daniel »

Minor errors are rarely worth anything above the coin's face value so if they're in low grade or damaged condition then they're going to be worth face value. Lamination errors, die chips, die cracks and such are just not dramatic enough to add any value to a coin, they're great for studying die states and stages, but not for much of anything else.

Lincoln Cent BIE errors, where there is a die chip between the B and I of LIBERTY, are the lone exception for die chips, and if you find a CUD then that's a die break that adds a premium. Otherwise the minor errors just don't add value. A guess I should add the Jefferson Buffalo Nickel (Speared Bison) and the Sacagawea Dollar (Wounded Eagle) that are die cracks that have become varieties because several have been found with the exact same die crack, but again, those are exceptions.

The doubled dies and repunched mint marks do add some value and some are extremely valuable but most are not, so what you keep and what you spend depends on if you care about the money or not.