I just want to take the dirt off (1906 indian/Liberty penny)

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Titan7170
Coining Around

I just want to take the dirt off (1906 indian/Liberty penny)

#1 Unread post by Titan7170 »

So I just want to get the dirt off without damaging the patina. I looked online and found many of the crude ways......vinegar,brass brush, toothpaste toothbrushes, water and dishsoap. How would you guys go about getting the dirt off?
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
SAM_1130.JPG

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: I just want to take the dirt off (1906 indian/Liberty penny)

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

I am not sure you can get this off, could be a bit of pitting from corrosion.

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#3 Unread post by dipper13 »

If you use plain soap, like dish soap or bar soap and hot water it will not hurt the coin. Anything else could affect the metal. I think that coin is pitted, a common problem with coppers. ( some of the metal has been eaten away.)

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by mhonzell »

For copper coins that have "no value" other than interest, I find the following method works pretty nicely:

Put about 1/4 cup of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (from almost any store) in a glass cup.
Put it in microwave to heat it up. (not boiling)
Remove from microwave.
Put coin in cup with liquid and let set for about 5 minutes.
Remove coin with utensil and rinse in water.
Put a little baking soda on each side of the coin and rub gently between fingers for a couple of seconds.
Rinse again in water.
Example results
---------
Keep in mind there are different types of "dirt".
What I see on your coin is probably body oils mixed dust/skin from years of being handled. This can actually protect areas of the coin covered. When removed, you may see shiny copper underneath and your coin may not actually look better unless you remove the rest of the coins patina. If you remove the patina, the copper may oxidize rather randomly afterwards. Consider putting a thin coat of Renaissance Wax on the coin to keep it from oxidizing.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Titan7170
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by Titan7170 »

thanks for the replies guys......I just wanted to remove what looks to be soil from being buried. I ended up using warm water regular hand soap and a shaving brush the type a barber uses to put soap on your face before you get shaved. extremely soft it worked well. Unfortunately I do believe the coin is pitted all over, ashame because it could have been pretty nice if not. lots of sharp details....ohh well!
Attachments
SAM_1141.JPG
SAM_1142.JPG

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

It does look better with nice details but I have found many like this and suspected it was covered in micro-pits.

Titan7170
Coining Around

#7 Unread post by Titan7170 »

yes it does have micro pitting.....so my pitted penny is now my lucky penny.....I cleaned it and it will go in my wallet! I will find a better example in original condition!
Attachments
SAM_1143.JPG
SAM_1145.JPG